Homeschooling Moms

debramommyof4
kids reading backwards.
September 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM
My son is 4 1/2 and i am not to worried yet. He is just learning to read and thinks for a minute and usually gives me the right word. When I do have him sound out a word, he is starting from the right.

What are some things I need to watch for that could help if he does need help.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Hm, Idk. That is really, really common. You know those memes that float around saying Can you read this? And it is the letters scrambled? Same difference, I guess.
  • bluerooffarm
    September 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That's about the age where I start them shaking hands.  We shake hands with our right hand.  We start doing Simon says and really stressing right and left (touch your right foot, tap your left knee, wiggle your right elbow, etc).  Once they have right and left down just gently remind him we read starting on the left.  Eventually it will become automatic.

• debramommyof4
    September 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    Thank you.
    My girls never did this we started marching at 2 (military family and the kids loved it).

I thought he knew his left from his right, and made it a super secret part of reading. But he continued so I guess I will try playing some more games.

Like I said earlier at 4 1/2 I am not to super worried.

But he is the only boy and he learns so differently. I do not want to miss a sign that he really needs help.
  • KrissyKC
    September 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Work with patterns...   a lot!!!     Patterns help train the eye to read left to right.

At his age, I wouldn't jump on "dyslexia"... especailly since he's doing so well at under 5.   I think it's just an eye training thing.

Using patterns helps him learn to read from left to right without the struggle of having to sound out letters TOO!

• bluerooffarm
    September 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.
    My girls never did this we started marching at 2 (military family and the kids loved it).

I thought he knew his left from his right, and made it a super secret part of reading. But he continued so I guess I will try playing some more games.

But he is the only boy and he learns so differently. I do not want to miss a sign that he really needs help.

Boys do seem to learn differently.  I find myself reminding my boys multiple times about writing their numbers (2,3and6 especially) backwards, reading left to right, and things like that.  But then they will make these extraordinary connections that blow me away.  I think it's a concrete/abstract thing.

• KickButtMama
    September 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I agree. My boys did the as,e. in fact my youngest (at 9 y/o) still does it occasionally. When I call him on it usually he was just skimming the words, jumping ahead. So he was really only seeing one or two letters. Smh. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

Boys do seem to learn differently.  I find myself reminding my boys multiple times about writing their numbers (2,3and6 especially) backwards, reading left to right, and things like that.  But then they will make these extraordinary connections that blow me away.  I think it's a concrete/abstract thing.

• bluerooffarm
    September 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Oh good, I don't have a girl to compare it to, but I was pretty sure it was a boy/girl thing.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree. My boys did the as,e. in fact my youngest (at 9 y/o) still does it occasionally. When I call him on it usually he was just skimming the words, jumping ahead. So he was really only seeing one or two letters. Smh. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

• debramommyof4
    September 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I try not to name things like that till after 6.  I just wanted to be able to know what to look for. 

I will definetly do lots of patterns that is such a great idea.  Thank you.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Work with patterns...   a lot!!!     Patterns help train the eye to read left to right.

At his age, I wouldn't jump on "dyslexia"... especailly since he's doing so well at under 5.   I think it's just an eye training thing.

Using patterns helps him learn to read from left to right without the struggle of having to sound out letters TOO!

• debramommyof4
    September 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I my girls got thier d's and b's backwards but never words. He is so different learning wise.  I have no clue how to teach him, except to keeping him active and making it fun.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

• bluerooffarm
    September 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Then you know enough to get him learning!  :-)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I my girls got thier d's and b's backwards but never words. He is so different learning wise.  I have no clue how to teach him, except to keeping him active and making it fun.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

Homeschooling Moms