Homeschooling Moms

Maryloe
Show room
by Maryloe
September 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Hello moms!

I wanted to see how you ladies organize your classroom. I am new to homeschooling and I would like to hear or see how your organization ideas for your classroom .

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Lol Every year that changes! Shelves and crates with file folders or just the crates in cute colors are a mainstay for me.
  • PurpleCupcake
    September 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It's not much, but it works. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    September 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We have a medium sized den/office that we use for a school room. I have my desk, and :school desks"  for DD and Ds2 as well as bookshelves, a keyboard, and a love seat in there.

Here is what our hallway wall used to look like. My kids are older now so we took the calendar and weather off of the wall and only have several maps there now.

• Leissaintexas
    September 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Mine is just a crate and a lapdesk. We school every where in the house. I don't have a classroom. I tried that the first year and it was just a waste.

• KrissyKC
    September 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We don't have a school room.   We are a family of six living in a small ranch style home.   The kids each share bedrooms, and they aren't very big.    All of their toys are in their rooms, except the one corner of the living room that has the baby's toys.    

The teacher desk is actually a small oval kitchen table with one chair at it.   I have two large bins that we store library book in on my desk, and it gets all the clutter before I get to go through it and put it away in the pantries.    These three pantries are full of my homeschool stuff.   They all have doors, which I like better than book shelves because I can close them and it still looks nice.

The student desk was a surprise find for $5.00, and it really motivates my kindy.   It also gives me a space to put any student that's getting too distracted.   Otherwise, we homeschool at the dining table or in the living area, wherever the kids are more comfortable.    I keep a large crate on top of the pantries labelled "Science Kit."  It has everything we need this year for our Apologia supplies (except for the perishable stuff)...

The bean bag chairs were one of my best investments.   Not only do all of my kids ADORE them and use them, but the 15 month old can't figure out how to climb over them and move them out of the way to get into my pantries.   Hee hee hee....

On the wall next to the student desk, I have a medium sized white board, but we use our portable ones more... I own 5 portable whiteboards, and we use them all!

I have a few crafts my kindy has made taped up on the wall in front of her student desk.   Her basic supplies are kept in there.

I have pictures of the kids doing field trips and playing with friends taped to the pantries and in the dining room.   I also have a spot going down the hall that has their "sunrise system" (morning routine) hung.   My kindy has a strip of pictures that she follows with a moveable arrow, my older two have index cards on a ring that hang on sticky tak when not in use.   

We also have the maps they have been creating for social studies hanging in the hall, too.  It's on tracing paper, so we will pull them down and mount them and put them in a notebook later.

My kindy has a morning board that she works with.   It was created on a sturdy black foam board with lots of interactive stuff (flipping the day, month, etc... on rings, velcro on pennies to make the date in money, pipe cleaners she puts in the days in school chart and several dry erase spots like writing our total for our counting jar and clock with moving hands.   It also has a place for the weather..)   ((((I love pinterest!!)))))

Anyway, her morning board, notebook, and a small board she made in class at church to study for Bible Quiz... they all sit ontop of her desk propped against the wall.   

Ok, that was detailed...   

Also, in the dining room, we have a laptop in a corner.

• KickButtMama
    September 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Lol, the entire world is our classroom! 

• MotoStar
    September 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

We have lessons in a lot of different places but we do have a "School Room".

I have pictures up here, if you would like to see them.

• tyely
    by tyely
    September 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    This looks very similar to our setup. We school everywhere, but our designated area is right behind the couch and near the front door, which we rarely use.

Quoting KrissyKC:

We don't have a school room.   We are a family of six living in a small ranch style home.   The kids each share bedrooms, and they aren't very big.    All of their toys are in their rooms, except the one corner of the living room that has the baby's toys.    

The teacher desk is actually a small oval kitchen table with one chair at it.   I have two large bins that we store library book in on my desk, and it gets all the clutter before I get to go through it and put it away in the pantries.    These three pantries are full of my homeschool stuff.   They all have doors, which I like better than book shelves because I can close them and it still looks nice.

The student desk was a surprise find for $5.00, and it really motivates my kindy.   It also gives me a space to put any student that's getting too distracted.   Otherwise, we homeschool at the dining table or in the living area, wherever the kids are more comfortable.    I keep a large crate on top of the pantries labelled "Science Kit."  It has everything we need this year for our Apologia supplies (except for the perishable stuff)...

The bean bag chairs were one of my best investments.   Not only do all of my kids ADORE them and use them, but the 15 month old can't figure out how to climb over them and move them out of the way to get into my pantries.   Hee hee hee....

On the wall next to the student desk, I have a medium sized white board, but we use our portable ones more... I own 5 portable whiteboards, and we use them all!

I have a few crafts my kindy has made taped up on the wall in front of her student desk.   Her basic supplies are kept in there.

I have pictures of the kids doing field trips and playing with friends taped to the pantries and in the dining room.   I also have a spot going down the hall that has their "sunrise system" (morning routine) hung.   My kindy has a strip of pictures that she follows with a moveable arrow, my older two have index cards on a ring that hang on sticky tak when not in use.   

We also have the maps they have been creating for social studies hanging in the hall, too.  It's on tracing paper, so we will pull them down and mount them and put them in a notebook later.

My kindy has a morning board that she works with.   It was created on a sturdy black foam board with lots of interactive stuff (flipping the day, month, etc... on rings, velcro on pennies to make the date in money, pipe cleaners she puts in the days in school chart and several dry erase spots like writing our total for our counting jar and clock with moving hands.   It also has a place for the weather..)   ((((I love pinterest!!)))))

Anyway, her morning board, notebook, and a small board she made in class at church to study for Bible Quiz... they all sit ontop of her desk propped against the wall.   

Ok, that was detailed...   

Also, in the dining room, we have a laptop in a corner.

• SusanTheWriter
    September 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Here's our "school room."

In the evening, it gets cleared off so we can eat. :)

And yet, despite our intricate and awesome school setup, this is what actually happens:

Ok, sometimes she uses the laptop at the end of the table, but this is a good chunk of her non-computer day. :)

• KrissyKC
    September 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

If she likes to be upside down so much, I'm surprised she hasn't tried using the laptop while doing that.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Here's our "school room."

In the evening, it gets cleared off so we can eat. :)

And yet, despite our intricate and awesome school setup, this is what actually happens:

Ok, sometimes she uses the laptop at the end of the table, but this is a good chunk of her non-computer day. :)

Homeschooling Moms