Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
unschoolmom1
Homeschool Question???
September 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I tried to unschool my 15 year old daughter last year which didn't work so this year we're doing regular homeschool. I'm ordering curriculum from A.C.E. (Accelerated Christian Education). I already have the Math and soon well also have the English. I'll be ordering 2-3 more subjects next month.

So hears my question. For the ones that homeschool year round, how do you homeschool year round? I mean what days do you take off for breaks ect. I want to homeschool year round but not sure how to so I'm looking for ideas from others whom homeschool year round.

Thanks,

Homeschool Mom

Replies

• debramommyof4
    September 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    We school through the regular school year only taking off Halloween (when it is a week day), Christmas (3 days), Thanksgiving (2 days) and birthday's. We learn from 8 to 12 Monday thru Friday.

In the summer we take off a month from June 15 to July 5th. Then we do school for about an hour or two a day Monday thru Friday.

During the kids month off they get a summer bridge workbook and if they finish it before we start school again they get a prize.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    September 10, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    We break when we need it, or every 6 to 8 weeks. We take off the holidays, too. This past summer we took off about 6 weeks.
  • bluerooffarm
    September 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM

We took off 3 weeks this June/July and we plan on taking "off" all of December.  The kids want to do a cooking class (Christmas Cookies and other sweet treats) so I am going to count a few days as reading, measuring, math, science, art etc. 

I take off when we need it. 

Last year we ended with over 200 days which means that my kids are partway through this year's curriculum. 

• KrissyKC
    September 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

In Missouri, they require 1000 hours.   WIth having four kids 1 yr old through 11, I don't keep a specific schedule.   I just make sure that we are able to do all 1000 hours annually like the state asks for.

However, if my kids were older and I didn't need the flexibility.   I would take off any important holidays, a family vacation, a week around Thanksgiving.   Two weeks around Christmas.   And have a few floating holidays and sick days.  Plus, I would only home educate for 4 days a week.

• Leissaintexas
    September 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Some families do 5 weeks on, one week off.

• SusanTheWriter
    September 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I think unschooling an older child who has always had external structure in their education is a HUGE challenge, so it's one I didn't take up. We started hs'ing when DD was 14 and unschooling was never an option for us. She needs structure to succeed.

From my observations, unschooling works best as part of a whole long-term lifestyle from an early age. More power to them, but it wouldn't have worked in our situation.

We did homeschool year-round last year, but mostly because we needed to have a lot of flexibility to accomodate DD's emotional needs. This year, we're more on track. And a big part of the reason we're trying to stay on track is because I also have DS in public school, so having their schedule match up works best for our family.

I would prefer both of them to have a year-round schedule, though, because I think it offers needed breaks at reasonable times. Taking a week off every 8-10 weeks gives everyone some space to breathe and regroup before tackling the next chunk of schooling. Then you can still take 2 weeks at Christmas and 4-6 weeks in the summer without losing too much to "summer brain drain."

Good luck!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts