I talked to my mom and she gave me some pretty good advice. She said Savannah is still a child and needs me to help her make good choices. (Sounds like what you guys tell me,lol) And to give her till the end of Christmas vacation to pull all her grades up to Cs. If she can't do that, then we'll have to do things my way. I'm going to be asking for weekly progress reports from all her teachers. And lastly, if we have to go to court for her attendence, all bets are off. She'll be pulled out that day.
She came home today all out of breath and excited because now she wants to stay. She told a teacher that she was going to homeschool. The teacher flipped and begged her to stay. She promised to change her schedule, give her new teachers and 1st lunch so she can hang out with her friends. Other kids who didn't have an interest in her before also wanted her to stay. It made her feel important.
Another thing, she's worried that she might miss out on some vital learning needed for high school that won't be taught in homeschool. (We were only going for 8th grade right now) When I asked, she was vauge about what information she might need. Then I asked what she learned last year that she used this year. She didn't have an answer for that either and started getting defensive. I'm sure she's made up her mind to stay at PS :-( I just can't compete with cute boys, nice teachers and fake friends.
So last night I was washing dishes with my 13yo dd and out of the blue she said, "Mom, I want to homeschool." You could have knocked me over with a feather,lol.
So I asked her why. She said the teachers are mean, she has no friends (all of her friends live on our street, everyone is stuck up, her classes are boring, she hates getting up so early to get ready to try and impress people she doesn't even like, she hates the uniforms and she's not learning anything. Poor baby is on her third year of remedial math and said if she has to learn about basic operations one more time she's going to scream! lol
I assured her that if she did come home, things would be much different. Then I gave her a quick run down of what we would do including outside school activities. She begged me to pull her out right now. I told her to give it to the end of the week to make sure it's really something she wants. She was in tears when I told her that. It was the hardest thing to make her go today :-(
So everyone, cross your fingers with me. If all goes well, I'll have DD homeschooling by next week!
by tuffymamaSeptember 9, 2013 at 12:26 PMI think making her wait, even just these few days, can teach her that decisions like this carry weight and aren't to be made lightly, too. Good job!
I know right? lol
And exactly. I need to prepare and more importantly, I want her to really want it.
And I think you did the right thing telling her to hang in for another week - it gives you time to get your ducks in a row and to MAKE SURE she wants this.
Thank you :-)
I was debating if a week is too short of a time. I might ask her wait a bit longer and say I need to get such and such ready. I just don't want her to make this choice too lightly and change her mind.
I think making her wait, even just these few days, can teach her that decisions like this carry weight and aren't to be made lightly, too. Good job!
Last year my kids begged me every day to homeschool them. I finally got everything ready at last semester and was so terrified but when we started I saw there was nothing to be afraid of lol. Making her wait to be sure isn't such a bad idea :)
I have one child who was struggling in reading with public school but now is right on target and my math challenged child is grasping math concepts faster than I ever dreamed because I can customize to their individual learning . Your daughter may pick up math easier at homeschool too. Good wishes :)
I would not make her wait more then this week. Have her help you with anything you still need to get together come next week. If you need to order something she can help look for it & find the best deal on it. The research you do is a great learning tool for her as well use it to your advantage!
September 9, 2013 at 3:13 PMI think it's great she is making this decision as its good to make her wait the week. Then she can be sure and she knows this isn't a decision that is made lightly.
I think I would also explain that if she stays home, she has to do it for the year, no going back and forth.