Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
stepaerobicsmom
Question about curriculum
September 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I am thinking about homeschooling a few years. I want to stay with the curriculum the school is using so it wouldn't be much different if he goes back to public school. I was thinking about using Saxon for phonics and Harcourt math. We are on a budget so I was wanting to find some of the books on eBay. My question is what would I need for that type of curriculum? Do I need a teacher manual or just a workbook and try to explain the material myself?

Replies

• tuffymama
    September 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Why do you want to homeschool for a few years, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    September 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    I started needing teacher manuals around 5th grade. It made grading faster and easier.

What grade are you planning on doing? What is your reasoning for homeschooling? I really would not stick with their material if it is because of learning issues.

If you want their curriculum, maybe see about an independent study option?
  • KrissyKC
    September 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don't like taking the kids in and out.   I flip flopped a little in the beginning and it didn't do them any favors.   However, I'm guessing you are using this time to "try it" maybe?

Anyway, I don't teach to the school standards, so I wouldn't know.   It's true that they would have a huge adjustement period if they went back to school, but that isn't likely without a major emergency.   We've already been through a HUGE job loss without being tempted to put them back in.   Two relocations later, and we are finally back on our feet.  I still haven't thought about putting them back in.

• bluerooffarm
    September 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I would say it depends on what you have a  comfortable knowledge base.  Do you know the answers to the math problems you'll be teaching?  Are you a science whiz?  If the answer is no, then the manual might be helpful.  I haven't really needed many manuals.  I'm not sure on all the history stuff, so a manual and activity guide were helpful.  In Language Arts, I've got it down, so I don't see me needing one.

Hope that helps.

• Leissaintexas
    September 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It depends on the age. Most early elementary stuff is pretty basic. Even in upper grades, anything you're not sure of can be googled pretty easily. There are tons of resources available for teaching. Youtube helps me with science and math.

• AutymsMommy
    September 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Oh I definitely wouldn't teach with public school curricula without the teacher manuals - those books, if you're using the SAME as the public school, are meant for teachers and classrooms.

Just as an fyi - many homechool curriculums SURPASS public school standards, so you really wouldn't have any issue moving back to public, even if you used homeschool curricula.

• stepaerobicsmom
    September 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    He is having bad anxiety at school and cries not wanting to go. I would like to homeschool as long as he needs but my husband and I are having some problems in our relationship and I don't see me being with him 11 more years for me to homeschool. He is in first grade.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I started needing teacher manuals around 5th grade. It made grading faster and easier.

What grade are you planning on doing? What is your reasoning for homeschooling? I really would not stick with their material if it is because of learning issues.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    September 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    Been there with the relationship issue..just take a year at a time...

Quoting stepaerobicsmom:

He is having bad anxiety at school and cries not wanting to go. I would like to homeschool as long as he needs but my husband and I are having some problems in our relationship and I don't see me being with him 11 more years for me to homeschool. He is in first grade.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

• Knightquester
    September 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

It depends on the grade level of your child and your education level as far as if you need a teacher's manual.  I never needed a teacher's manual for the lower grades.  I have four children so having a teachers manual was mostly useful if I wanted to do quick grading work on the four different pages I was given.  I'd say it was more needed when they hit middle school level.

You only mention two subjects, well part of two since phonics isn't really all of Language Arts.  I suggest if you want to stay in sync of the public schools then call and ask what they're using in all subjects, most schools have their curriculum lists readily available for parent knowledge.

Also, while eBay is an alright place to look for curriculum don't forget about other sites like Amazon.com, Textbooks.com, Homeschool Classifieds.com, and other such sites.  You might get lucky and find a better deal than what you'd find on eBay.

Good Luck!

• lisayvonne
    September 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Considering systematicness and convenience, I think the curriculum covering all the subjects would be better. I also like school curriculum-based programs. We use beestar. Programs are helpful and fees are inexpensive.

Lisa

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN