Homeschooling Moms

KrissyKC
Chili and Kleenex, what links these together???
September 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

My nose... I'm soooo stinking sick, I have to eat with a Kleenex over my nose.... chili really losens up the sinuses, though, so I'm hoping it's worth it.

I have really been devouring the fruits and veggies today, even dug around and found some unexpired vitamins and vitamin C drops.  

I'm soooo desperate.

Cold, clammy, nasty feeling.   I have a love/hate relationship wtih my couch.   It feels nice at first, but bonded leather stinks to sit on when you are sweaty and experiencing sickness induced hot-flashes.

Some one take these kids away, I've already threatened that the next time they get sick, I'm going to come bounce and yell all over them....   It made a difference for all of five minutes.

However, that being said, they are now finally being helpful and cleaning up and working together.  My rather hyper child (5 yr old Abby) is really taking a ton of patience right now.   I keep thinking she needs to go ride her bike, but I can't even imagine standing out in the sun (in the street) at about 90 degrees and watching her.

DH is working 14-15 hours today from home, which is worse because he always takes more than the kids do.

If you've read to the bottom of this... I should bake you a cookie, but I'm sneezing so much, I wouldn't recommend eating it.

LOL!

How do you survive sick days?   Especially when everyone else has boundless, restless energy and DH is either working or otherwise unavailable. 

Replies

• Bluecalm
    September 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Poor you! Feel better!

I put on music and the boys dance to burn up excess energy.

• coala
    by coala
    September 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I give my kids each a bowl of dry cereal and send them to their room to eat breakfast and then play quietly.  I then make finger foods for lunch and send them into their room to have a picnic lunch.  While they play quietly I take naps...that is the best that I can do.  I know you have a toddler, so this doesn't help much with him, but for your older ones it is kind of nice.

Hope you feel better soon.

• kirbymom
    September 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    Oh my goodness girl. I feel your pain. When I was that sick(rare times), I just made sure that we were all in my room and have some tv for them and some coloring and activity books and some reading books as well, to help occupy their time while I tried, mostly in vain, to sleep it through. They would cooperate for awhile though. Which helped some. Sometimes they were allowed to be in their rooms and make a whole room covered cave with all if their blankets and pillows and such. That helped some too.
    Short of me being there to help, I'm afraid I have very little advice to offer other than my empathizes. I hope you a speedy speedy recovery. Soon!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    I hate when I have a runny stuffy nose (how that is possible is a mystery to me) , you have my sympathy.
  • KickButtMama
    September 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I usually lock the bedroom door for an hour and tell them not to bug me unless there's a fire. Then, after my hour, I find all the documentaries I can on Netflix and we do a documentary marathon instead of school work. Then I dump out the junk drawer and give the kids rolls of duct tape and tell them to build the most awesome robot they can..

• KickButtMama
    September 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Hope u feel better soon!

• tuffymama
    September 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    You poor mama. Have you gargled and rinsed with peroxide yet? It always shortens colds for me. You can put some in your ears, too. Your DH needs to hit the store and get you tons of sodium ascorbate. It's a potent form of vitamin C, and since it is naturally buffered, you can take megadoses. Whenever I get sick, I take C until - TMI! - I get diarrhea from it and/or a pimple on my face (C flushes toxins out of the skin, which is why it is so good for acne). I always recover faster than anyone.
    I hope their patience and sweetness holds for you! Feel better!
  • bluerooffarm
    September 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I send mine to the goat paddock to play for a while.  Let them make toast with pb and j for breakfast AND lunch.  and have them put on a few documentaries while I nap.

Good luck!  Hope you get better quickly!

• debramommyof4
    September 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Feel better.  The kids watch a lot of tv when I am sick.  Bad parenting but it keeps them out of my hair.

Homeschooling Moms