Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
irvinehiker
Learning LA through Literature?
September 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Has anyone used this program?  Pros/Cons?  How much religion is in it?  Thanks!!:)

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

• KrissyKC
    September 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

• Bluecalm
    September 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

• TJandKarasMom
    September 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

• Bluecalm
    September 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting usmom3:

These were my three favorite websites as a 4th grade teacher and I use them at home now.

Edhelper----$39.98/year

Enchanted Learning.....$20/year

Super Teacher.....$19.95/year

• irvinehiker
    September 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

No, I suppose not, but this program is all layed out and would save a lot of the leg work.  This a comprehensive program that covers spelling and writing.  As my DD gets older I want to be sure she has the skills to continue her education into college.

Quoting usmom3:

• irvinehiker
    September 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

OK, no pros at all LOL!  What age/grade did you use it for?  I could see where the dictation would be boring for some students, but my son would love it.  Strange, I know.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

• Leissaintexas
    September 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    I used the orange book and there is really not enough spelling in it, very little creative writing, and only 4 books...not exactly a comprehensive lit/lang arts program. They don't even require reading the entire book. Just brief passages. I ffigured if I was supplementing a "complete" program so much, I'd just make my own.
  • paganbaby
    September 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

• irvinehiker
    September 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Not lazy IMO as long as they follow through and read and can answer questions about the book.  Thats mostly what we've done with a few writing projects and grammar lessons thrown in.  With my DD getting older though I want some more structure.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN