Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
irvinehiker
Learning LA through Literature?
September 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Has anyone used this program?  Pros/Cons?  How much religion is in it?  Thanks!!:)

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

• KrissyKC
    September 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

• Bluecalm
    September 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

• TJandKarasMom
    September 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

• Bluecalm
    September 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting usmom3:

These were my three favorite websites as a 4th grade teacher and I use them at home now.

Edhelper----$39.98/year

Enchanted Learning.....$20/year

Super Teacher.....$19.95/year

• irvinehiker
    September 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

No, I suppose not, but this program is all layed out and would save a lot of the leg work.  This a comprehensive program that covers spelling and writing.  As my DD gets older I want to be sure she has the skills to continue her education into college.

Quoting usmom3:

• irvinehiker
    September 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

OK, no pros at all LOL!  What age/grade did you use it for?  I could see where the dictation would be boring for some students, but my son would love it.  Strange, I know.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

• Leissaintexas
    September 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    I used the orange book and there is really not enough spelling in it, very little creative writing, and only 4 books...not exactly a comprehensive lit/lang arts program. They don't even require reading the entire book. Just brief passages. I ffigured if I was supplementing a "complete" program so much, I'd just make my own.
  • paganbaby
    September 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

• irvinehiker
    September 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Not lazy IMO as long as they follow through and read and can answer questions about the book.  Thats mostly what we've done with a few writing projects and grammar lessons thrown in.  With my DD getting older though I want some more structure.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts