Homeschooling Moms

BrettsMommy927
Need advice.
September 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

bow down

Hi! I have a question, and need some advice.

Does anyone else have a kid that just DOESNT WANT TO DO ANYTHING?!?! He fights and screams and just hates learning anything. He doesn't function in a large group-which is why we decided on HS. He loves ABC mouse, but will not TRY!!! I started him at the beginning and he acts like he knows nothing.

what are some ideas i can try to get him engaged? make him a little more anxious to get his work done and not fight me so hard? incentives? rewards?

thanks ladies :)

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

how old is he? any medical issues??

• almondpigeon
    September 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    I had this problem a few weeks ago. We implemented a punch card system. (I think the idea came from this group, actually). If he shows effort and good attitude, he gets a punch for that subject. Punches earn little rewards. It has really worked for us. When I get back to my computer, I will send you the link.
  • BrettsMommy927
    September 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

6, ADHD symptomatic, ODD

• lovelylady83
    September 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

play games so he doesn't know its school ... thats all I got.... Sorry ... I have a 4th grader who I have to be on top of inorder to keep her focused... but she eventually gets it done... 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Make it a game! You want him to spell go draw a hop scotch board on the drive way & you tell him the word & he jumps from letter to letter as he yells out the letters. Want him to count play board games with dice or play a dice game. Want him to read make up silly sentences & then have him read them & the challenge is to read it with out laughing.

• ambertreas76
    September 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Have you tried letting him take the lead?  Like finding what he is interested in and learning from that.  Example.. Owls... He could learn how to count using owls.  He could learn how to spell using owls.  It's just a very basic example but everything has potential... as long as he stays engaged.  

My son is 5.  He is a tough child.  I've been told he is ADHD.. load of crap.  He is dyslexic and I believe that is a big part of our challenge.  With him, I have to let him take the lead for the most part, though some days he is easy-breezy.  Even if it's as simple as friv.com and counting/adding/subtracting the squares on the screen, he gets into it.  He loves physics games and we play with numbers and letters using that.  Some days it's only building with giant legos and playing with different ways to help him learn.  Some days all he wants to do is go to the park, but, nature is a great place to teach. The more I let him take the lead, the easier it is to teach him... and the more apt he is to listen when I want to take the lead.  I also play music while we learn/teach.  Nice soothing, lyric-less music.  That, alone, has helped tremendously.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

ODD is hard.  What if he has to tell you what you have to learn, but he has to grade your work?  Or ask him to make sure you're putting the robot together the right way--count out the screws, make sure you're using the right screws, etc.  He'll learn, but you're not "making" him do what he doesn't want to do.

• BrettsMommy927
    September 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Thanks guys! Will integrate all of these ideas...and let you guys know how it pans out.

• romacox
    by romacox
    September 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

A lot of good advice above.  Besides my experience in homeschooling, I tutor many children with ADHD.  I get excellent results teaching phonics, reading, spelling, vocabulary, ext with a board game called Ring Around The Phonics.  .  It works well with 4 year olds through 11 years of age. 

• kirbymom
    September 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Have you asked him what he would like to do? Maybe ask him to pick 3(?) subjects/interests that he would like to learn about. Start out with counting beans into some kind of shape and then ask him what that shape is(?) or something like that.

Homeschooling Moms