Homeschooling Moms

lovelylady83
To "water cycle" or not?!?!
September 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

so... a while back I purchased some materials to bridge us from one curriculum to the next and give us a taste of what was to come....so long story as short as possible... we are doing Moving Beyond the Page Literature of Charolettes Web with a Science Unit study that coincides of the Water Cycle... day one... it says ask your student what they know about water already... she spit out the entire water cycle and then some... should I do it anyway or just move on to the next topic in science?

Replies

• hipmomto3
    September 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Usually I just do whatever anyway, if they already know about it, because reinforcing never hurts, and there may be some aspect they will bring up again that will be more familiar to her if you do it now. Doesn't hurt to repeat! 

We just did the water cycle last week and my kids pretty  much knew it already but they still enjoyed it. My youngest learned a song about it at girl scout day camp over the summer so she got to teach it to everyone else (helps with remembering those big words).

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Maybe refocus your goals for the water cycle.  Go into water conservation, water purification, the lack of drinking water in parts of the world, our responsibilities in the water cycle.   But definitely not just repeat what she already knows.  :)  Maybe she can figure out a new way to clean water.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    September 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I would move on if she knows it so well.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    September 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM

i'd move on also!

• KrissyKC
    September 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Depends, if it's a one day review, I would highight a few things that might be tougher to remember and then play some games for review.   Then move onto the next thing tomorrow.

If it's a week or several weeks worth of learning about the water cycle, I'd do it in a day or two and then play science games and DVDs instead.

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This!

Quoting hipmomto3:

Usually I just do whatever anyway, if they already know about it, because reinforcing never hurts, and there may be some aspect they will bring up again that will be more familiar to her if you do it now. Doesn't hurt to repeat! 

We just did the water cycle last week and my kids pretty  much knew it already but they still enjoyed it. My youngest learned a song about it at girl scout day camp over the summer so she got to teach it to everyone else (helps with remembering those big words).

• lovelylady83
    September 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    I think I am going to do a run through of it anyway... I spent some time this evening reviewing the content and there are sections that go into a deeper understanding of the various sorts of clouds (which she already learned but hey maybe she will memorize there crazy names too) she seems to be enjoying it. I am going to put together some videos to watch and add some stuff from Study Jams to make it a bit meatier... push her to the next level I suppose! Thanks for the input! I was gone for a bit (summer) and just opened my account again cause I missed chatting! Here is to another year!
  • crazybluedaisy
    September 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM

MBTP is such a deep thinking curriculum, there is probably much more for her to lean along the way.  I would go through it.  They ask those questions at the beginning to get you thinking and give you an idea of her knowledge, not to assess where to go from there.  DD just started on Africa (7th) and got the same question.  I looked ahead and it's jam-packed full of all sorts of additional info and loads of  fun stuff to do.  She'll probably enjoy it!

Homeschooling Moms