Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
alf2651
Do I sound ridiculous? I'm not really liking public school too much.
by alf2651
September 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I apologize in advance for how long this is! 

My DD started Kindergarten in the beginning of August and she is having a very hard time adjusting to it. She dreads going to school in the mornings and is always in a terrible mood in the afternoons. Almost every day it's tears because she doesn't want to go to school and tears because she doesn't want to talk about what happened in school.

About a week after school started, they moved her to a different class without telling me until after they moved her. Their reasoning because they hadn't anticipated students enrolling after the school year started and DD hadn't made any friends so they didn't see the harm in moving her to a different class. Since the classroom move, her attitude has gone majorly downhill.  She has also had issues with being bullied by a group of girls and a boy in her new class. I went to the teacher and the principal about it and they told me that they would move the girl who was doing the most of the bullying to a different seat (which as far as I know, they have) and that's all that they could do, even though she had come back home with bruises and a big old slap mark across her face. When I told them that, I was told that since she didn't tell them what happened when it happened that there was nothing they could do. To top it all off, last week the school bus driver just drove past our stop because, in her own words, she was half asleep and forgot DD was on the bus.

I mentioned to both the teacher and the principal my concerns about DD. She's been going through a lot and I mentioned that I think enrolling her in school might be too overwhelming for her. I didn't even mention the possibility of homeschooling her (which is what I really wanted to do in the first place, hence why I joined this group, but instead went along with DH and enrolled her in public school), but they immediately went into telling me that they could get her to go see the Guidance Counselor once a week and that DD needs to be in school to be around other kids and other adults. They told me that yes, DD was shy, but once she adjusts she'll be fine and that I shouldn't be so worried about it and that I'll get used to her being away from me over time. Which is so not the reason why I have these concerns, but apparently it's what they seem to think is going on.

I've been talking with DH about how I think putting her into public school wasn't the right thing to do and how I feel that the best thing for her is to be pulled out of that school and be homeschooled. He doesn't want to homeschool right now because he's worried about the cost of homeschooling and also wants me to wait to see if she adjusts better to public school since school hasn't been in session that long. He's stated that if I still feel this way in a couple of months, we'll see about pulling her out of school and homeschooling her. In the meantime, I've got an extremely irritable child who keeps begging to stay home with me and a nagging feeling in my gut that she should have never been enrolled in this school in the first place and that I should've stuck to my guns. While I agree that it could just be her adjusting to a school environment, it just doesn't seem that way to me.

Am I just being one of those clingy "I don't want to let my baby go" moms like the principal and teacher seem to believe I am, or do I have valid reasons for wanting her out of that school? Has anyone else been through something like this with their kids before they decided to homeschool? 

Replies

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    September 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Everyone has there own reasons for homeschooling. You and your family really need to decide if it's the best. As for cost...not really an issue. In fact you can homeschool a kindergartner for free using a computer, library, and school supplies from Walmart or dollar store. 

• xomrs.chase
    September 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Teach her how to throw a right hook.
    If the bullying continues, maybe homeschool for a year or two but try to socialize her more
  • ablackdolphin
    September 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Since she is so young you could always try homeschooling and if it doesn't work ps is always still there.  Even for us we said it would be one day at a time.  If it doesn't work for me or dd long term then it just doesn't work.  I know that sound simplistic but that is part of what got dh on board over here.  He also sees how much she has learned at home and I am always telling him stories from other friends who have kids in public school. 

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If you decide to keep her in PS, you need to teach her to speak up when she is getting bullied.  She can't come home and tell you and expect anything to change, she has to go to the teacher.  I think it is crap that she came home with bruises and they did NOTHING.  If they could move her to another class then they can move her or the bullies to another calss.  If my kid came home with bruises and the school did nothing, I would be pulling my kid out and going to the school board about the lack of action.  Good luck whatever you decide.

• armygirl16
    September 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

As another poster stated, everyone has their own reasons for homeschooling.  If it were my child though, I would not tolerate that.  I would pull her and homeschool her for the rest of the year and potentially more.  Homeschooling does NOT have to be expensive at all.  It is as expensive or cheap as you want it to be.  I bought a full curriculum for $300 and that is mid range expensive.  You could spend as little as $50 (or less with thrift stores, the library and planning) or upwards of $1000.  

As far as socially, if she is shy then being in that environment (usually) will not make her more social.  I was (and still am) rediculously shy and hated being in a group of kids, especially if I was teased or unconfortable with what they are talking about.  It did not make me more social to be around them.  I prefered being in smaller groups (such as Sunday School, Girl Scouts or Sports).  

There are plenty of social opportunities for homeschooled kids.  My daughter will be attending "Monday School" (a kindergarten class) through a homeschool co-op.  It is for about 4 hours and only once a week.  She will also be in a girl scout troop this year and we attend multiple board game groups that kids attend and she can play with.  

• EcoModernMom
    September 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    wanting to spend more time with my daughter is reason enough for me to homeschool. I was shy since I was in preschool..I went through public school until I graduated...it didn't help with my shyness or socialization and school was horrible for me for 13 years. like one poster said, it can be as cheap or expensive as you want.
  • Precious333
    September 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    I.would pull her out right away, so sad she is having a hard time :(

Homeschooling doesnt have to cost much, especially in kindergarten. We did a lot of playing with toys and making games that are educational. There are a lot of free websites too. You can use a stick in the sand approach and she will still get a mucj better education than in the school system.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    September 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    You don't need a reason to homeschool if you feel it's the best choice for your child. As for as cost goes, kindergarten can be done very cheaply.
  • marrionsmommy
    September 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    We spend about 20 bucks a yr to homeschool. With the cost of gas to drive to the school once or twice a week to talk to these teachers, and the never ending supplies that they kept asking for, homeschool is definitly cheaper. I would explain to dh that she is developing a negative idea of school and the longermshe stays in that situation the harder any schooling is going to be on her. I say go with yr gut and homeschool her. Maybe switch it up on yr dh and offer what he offered u, 3 months of home school and if it doesnt change her attitude and she isnt learning then youll put her back in school.
  • Bleacheddecay
    September 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It's clear from what you've written that you and your child have NO importance as individuals in that school. I'd pull her out so fast. I would not be okay with my child being bullies and the adults there not caring.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts