Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MotoStar
A "typical" school day?
September 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I blogged about a day of school for us.

You can find it here: School Days

What is a "typical" school day for your kids? 

Do you do anything fun or wacky to break up the day?

Replies

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We don't really have a typical day, yet still.. every day feels typical.

We have our curriclums we are working in and following.   However, we follow our whims and I don't have a schedule.  Instead, we have a routine.   Every day, it's all a surprise if we get it all done or not.

• kmath
    by kmath
    September 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

We don't really have a typical day.  DS gets to pick what order we do subjects in and then we work on them.  We try to get done before I go to work, if not we finish when we get home.  We do science with the kid I take care of because he enjoys it.

• tnt-manda
    September 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    www.tnt-switzerboys.blogspot.com
  • LavenderMom23
    September 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    We eat breakfast wait tjirty minutes for Ashley meds to kick in and then get to work, or Tuesday Thursday I go to college and kids do work after lunch
  • NYCitymomx3
    September 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Now that ds is 12 and starting 7th grade, we have more of a set routine.  

4 days a week ds does current events, math, literature, and either history and geography OR science.  He's thinking about learning Italian as well, so we'll see how that goes.  Academics begin around 11am-noon and end around 2 or 3.  

Once day a week is for a field trip or homeschool group class.  

• TJandKarasMom
    September 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I have no idea.

My plan is that we will start around 8:30 and have a routine, not a rigid schedule, just work and breaks and lunch and then finish if we need to.  I want them to be done by 2.  I typically work 3-6 during the week.  Every other Wednesday they have a co op class from 1:30-2:30 so hopefully they can get the rest of their work done before 1.  On Fridays we will go to the library.  And we will squeeze in field trips if they are early enough in the day with the co op, or on my day off if I get one during the week.

So I want a typical day to look like this:

8:30-10 school work

10 break

10:15-12 school work

12 lunch

1-2 finish schoolwork  if there is any left

2 mom gets ready and heads to work

3-6 mom at work, kids pursuing their own interests or finishing schoolwork they didn't complete due to procrastinating

6:30/7 mom gets home-hopefully dad has finished preparing or fully prepared dinner :)  (kids may have already eaten at this point)

7-8 settle down, maybe talk about the day or things they learned while I was working

8 kids in bed

8:30 lights out

Wish me luck with this ;)

• MotoStar
    September 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Good Luck! I think moms that work and homeschool are AH-MAZING!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I have no idea.

My plan is that we will start around 8:30 and have a routine, not a rigid schedule, just work and breaks and lunch and then finish if we need to.  I want them to be done by 2.  I typically work 3-6 during the week.  Every other Wednesday they have a co op class from 1:30-2:30 so hopefully they can get the rest of their work done before 1.  On Fridays we will go to the library.  And we will squeeze in field trips if they are early enough in the day with the co op, or on my day off if I get one during the week.

10 break

12 lunch

3-6 mom at work, kids pursuing their own interests or finishing schoolwork they didn't complete due to procrastinating

6:30/7 mom gets home-hopefully dad has finished preparing or fully prepared dinner :)  (kids may have already eaten at this point)

7-8 settle down, maybe talk about the day or things they learned while I was working

8 kids in bed

• TJandKarasMom
    September 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Thanks!

I'm so lucky I found this job and only have to work around 3 hours a day typically..I also work every other Saturday around 6 hrs.  I don't think we could afford for me to not work at all, but luckily DH is willing to make it work with me hardly working ;)

Quoting MotoStar:

Good Luck! I think moms that work and homeschool are AH-MAZING!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I have no idea.

10 break

12 lunch

8 kids in bed

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    September 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    I need to plan my rhythm out still. We don't start for two weeks.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts