Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
How to be what they all need... (moms of "more" kids... mostly)
September 1, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I'm struggling really hard to be what they all need.

Anyway, I'm "teaching" constantly... I flip from one kid to another in their independent subjects, and then we get into the joined subjects... I bounce into chores, cooking, etc...   I come back to teaching again, cooking the next meal, testing their spelling words, listening to one child play the guitar while helping the other with her first ever word search made for pre and early readers.   Ooops, baby smells poopy, and he has a rash I have been battling, so I have to interrupt the music and wordsearch to change a baby... both other kids are getting restless, but they both want mom's involvement or else their attitudes slip and they don't want to do the stuff anymore...

My eldest is in math that is over my head, but I'm learning it with her some, and she just asked a question on how to find the square root of x if x is 27 minus two (easy right?  but not right now, because I'm now stepping over the baby gate while still chopping celery for dinner and I just cut my finger a little and have just bled on the food... argh... toss it, get out a new plate and Reilly starts screaming at the baby gate because Mom just stepped on the other side of it and it's just not acceptable...

I've had a few short stints where I could stop and read cafemom and post... while gobbling a few bites of lunch when I realized that I missed breakfast because I had accidentally scorched the eggs while answering a question from a kid... so some of the egg stuck to the pan, and I didn't have enough for everyone... so I had a glass of milk and thought I'd grab something in a bit.

I have a plan, I have organization... it's just a lot to do with four kids on four different stages of development (especially with a toddler.)

My health problems aren't helping.  Sugars have been through the roof because of the stress and that has caused a yeast infection that won't heal.   DH and I haven't been intimate for almost 5 months and he is going nuts... keeps poking and prodding me, pinching, grabbing, etc... and with all this pressure it just makes me cringe, but I don't want to hurt him and tell him that.  Besides I've tried explaining it before and it just caused a rift between us.

I can't sleep at night (can we say 2 am?) because I am so desperate for "me" time.   Hubby doesn't understand and he is hurt if I don't go watch the latest baseball (I hate sports movies) movie with him on neflix at 11 pm... so, when the movie is finally over, I'm finally on here saying...   good grief... I love every minute of my family, I just need a few minutes of my own...  what have I gotten myself into???

And yet, with all I do, I'm seeing serious needs in my kids (and my marriage) that I'm just not able to do anything about.

So...

Moms with "more"... especially ones with issues like LD, autism, ADHD, ODD, etc...?   How do you DO it all?

Replies

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Oh, and is that the sixth time I've had to sweep crumbs off the floor, or the seventh?   Why are there shoes and books scattered down the hall, and does the dog have to shed so much?   Good grief, I could make five dogs for all the hair he loses.

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:01 AM

How does the handprint get on the ceiling???

Son, please, for the love of all that is sunny... can you PLEASE wipe the tinkle off the toilet or learn to aim better, I just had to pee so bad because I was in too much demand to do it earlier that I just plunked my butt down without looking and now I want to shower, but won't have time for one until after you all get in bed.

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:01 AM

oh and we can't forget...

OUCH!!!  I just stepped on a dang lego!!!

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM

No, dear daughter, for the sixteenth time in 20 minutes, your birthday isn't for a very long time and we aren't going to plan your next birthday party right now...

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Really??? why didn't you tell me you were out of pads 20 minutes sooner, I JUST got the baby down for a nap!

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM

No, sweetheart, you just aren't a size 10 girls anymore...  it's not supposed to bunch up under your armpits, gosh you need new clothes...

Ugh, Liam, buddy, you have enough holes in that one sock we could use it to demonstrate multiplication, don't you have a pair of socks that cover more than two toes?

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM

You forgot to tell me that you signed up for snacks and we have to be there in 15 minutes and I haven't been to the grocery store yet... thanks...

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM

oh, wait, yes, you are right, my mistake... you DID mention snacks to me three weeks ago and I forgot... my bad... 

guess we are running out last minute to get snacks.

• KrissyKC
    September 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM

LOL, sorry, now I'm just having fun with this... add some of your own if you like.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    September 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I don't do it all.  I do a lot, I don't do all of it well, but I try.  The birthday thing cracked me up.  My 2nd is turning 9 on Wednesday, and the 4 year old keeps talking about his birthday (no biggie, his is in November), but now my 6 year old is talking about his birthday (June).  UGH.  Really?  Oh, and speaking of birthdays, maybe we should get on it and get his gift.  But I have at least 2 more days before it becomes ESSENTIAL.  My oldest is my highest needs, sensory and gifted (never diagnosed for sensory, but trust me, it's there).  It gets very difficult.  A glass of wine now and then helps.  :)  And I totally get the husband thing.  They have no clue what we have going on, even if they see it all.  But my kids are getting older, as they are wont to do, and it gets easier, some days.  Other days we're thrown back into the fray and I feel myself losing it.  Seriously, sat in my office the other day crying and just telling myself I could do this for 10 more years.  Apparently I'm giving up on my youngest 3 before they're out of the house, but something's gotta give...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN