Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Helicopter/Bulldozer moms....and homeschooling.
August 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I took my 2 older boys to their soccer practice today.  There are 3 homeschool moms who have children on this team.  The coach knew that there are 3 homeschool moms with the team.  I knew who all 3 of us were, but the coach did not.

So there is a Helicopter mom there, constantly talking to her kid, telling her to do this or do that:  :Get in line or you'll miss your turn, don't mess with your shin guard, be quieter sweetie, get in there, hustle up, don't let him crowd you...." and on and on and on.  There was Bulldozer mom there, talking at the coach right from the beginning: "So there are a lot of kids on this team, my kid has experience, so he's going to play this week right.  When's the next practice?  You know practices should be a little earlier, we need to get home to eat..." and on and on and on.

I found it interesting that the head coach talked to her assistant coach and asked if those 2 were the homeschooler moms.  HAHHAHAHAHA!  Two of the homeschooler moms were over at the playground with their youngest children and I was outside of the fence playing with my youngest.  So Sam (the assistant coach) glances over at me and laughs, "not even close" she said.

I know this isn't a large sampling or anything, but I found it very funny that the coach assumed that the helicopter and bulldozer were the hs moms and that the hs moms were actually not on the field at all.

Are you a helicopter or a bulldozer?  Are there any in your co-ops?

Replies

• celticdragon77
    August 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I have never heard the term "bulldozer mom".

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I think there are Mom's like that every where & we all have our moments where we come off being like that because of a situation getting taken out of context & all of a sudden you are labeled as "one of those Mom's".

• bluerooffarm
    August 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have never heard the term "bulldozer mom".

A bulldozer mom is one who comes in like a bulldozer and paves the way so there are no problems for her child to navigate.  They complain before there is a problem, ask questions before anyone has a chance to even give their spiel.  Like seriously the coach was still walking from her car to the fence when this lady was introducing herself, and starting on this tirade about the size of the team.

• mhaney03
    August 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I have moments when I am both, but I find the taekwondo moms of public school kids are worse, and they aren't even students in the class like I am haha.

• bluerooffarm
    August 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I think there are Mom's like that every where & we all have our moments where we come off being like that because of a situation getting taken out of context & all of a sudden you are labeled as "one of those Mom's".

Typically I give the benefit of the doubt, but these two were unreal, I felt sorry for the kids.  The helicopter's daughter said "you are embarassing me, just let me try it" Twice!!  I just thought it was interesting that those were the ones the coach picked out as the homeschoolers.

• Pukalani79
    August 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I probably helicopter some because my daughter's health has been so bad for so long.  I try to be aware of it though.

• celticdragon77
    August 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I would not have even noticed this going on. I would have likely been busy watching my kids practice or reading a book.  

• bluerooffarm
    August 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting mhaney03:

I have moments when I am both, but I find the taekwondo moms of public school kids are worse, and they aren't even students in the class like I am haha.

I struggle so hard to let them be their own person.  But, yeah, every once in a while it comes out of me.  I had to bite my tongue a lot tonight to keep from getting into the fray.

You take Taekwondo?  That is so cool!

• bluerooffarm
    August 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Quoting Pukalani79:

I probably helicopter some because my daughter's health has been so bad for so long.  I try to be aware of it though.

I try to watch myself too.  It can be tough.

• Shari55
    by Shari55
    August 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I never was either, and we never belonged to a co-op, however I knew helicopter and bulldozer homeschool moms, which was part of the reason we never belonged to co-ops or groups.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN