Homeschooling Moms

julesjerry
Time4learning -- suggestion
August 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I am planning to subscribe to time4learning.

If you are using, please help me to decide. Is it worth? Ur reply is important to me.

Thanks.

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    August 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    I love t4l. I use it for math, science and some social studies. It is so cheap. I pick and choose the lessons based on what we are learning. It's great. I recommend it!
  • KrissyKC
    August 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I love it, but mainly as a supplement or a guide or at least their "core" and I build on it.

It has really come in handy during those times I needed help.   Like during an 20 month period, My DH lost his job for about a 5 month stint, I lost a pregnancy, relocated to another city, got pregnant, relocated to another city, and delivered my new baby...  It REALLY helped to do primarily T4L last school year because of being just so wipe out.  

How we supplemented:

We looked ahead at their upcoming lessons and pulled "book box" books from the library that they could read or do projects or reports on while learning the same stuff on T4L.      We also felt their language arts stuff was more fun than what they needed, so they did that plus worked on some Rod and Staff english books.  Plus extra curricular stuff, of course, or just the occasional "unschooling-like" interest.   We only got through half of their R&S english, so we set it aside and started reviewing it again this year and will pick up where left off.  Since it was a grade ahead for them both, this worked out perfectly.

Currently:   I use it for my kindergartener.   My kindy is a "challenge" to home educate.   She's all fire, spit, and energy... all rolled up with lack of focus and oppositional behavior, and bouts of insane activity!... LOL!   However, she sits and pays attention really well with the T4L stuff.   It's a terrific help and makes up about half of our schooling with her.   Otherwise, she joins the others on their science and even sometimes social studies... and then we have a morning board and notebook we do daily plus extra worksheets and letters to trace.   I'm moving into a letter of the week approach, too.    If she takes off, like I'm hoping, I'll introduce a phonics program I have, too.

• mommy4lyf
    August 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    If they have a trial version take advantage of that. My son doesn't like it at all.
  • hipmomto3
    August 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

We did the trial version. Did NOT like it at all (nor did my kids). I'd rec doing the free trial first. My kids thought the lessons were boring, and I thought the interface was very poor and cheap looking.

• julesjerry
    August 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Hmm i tried demo version. I have take trial 14 days. Thanks.

• julesjerry
    August 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My daughter is visual/audio learner. If i show any video with audio, that helps her lot and she catch that fact much faster.  That is why i am looking something like T4L.  but if you know anything better please suggest.

• hipmomto3
    August 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM

For math, we use coolmath-games.com to reinforce certain concepts. They have a lot of grade levels.

For science, we can usually find a video on Netflix or Amazon to reinforce what we are studying. Today we sang a song about the water cycle, did a worksheet, and watched The Magic School Bus season 2 episode 5, which is about the water cycle. Beakman's World and Peep sometimes also have episodes related to science topics. 

For history and social studies, we use documentaries on Netflix and Amazon. Last year we studies Lewis & Clark for two weeks. While I read aloud from a biography about the Corps of Discovery, the kids colored and wrote in designated L&C notebooks. After each section, we'd watch 15-20 minutes of the PBS L&C documentary. So they were listening, drawing, and then seeing. 

There are lots of ways to incorporate learning beyond just book and pencil type. 

• kirbymom
    August 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    I have used them before and would say yes, they are worthwhile to use.
  • julesjerry
    August 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Netflix and amazon videos? -- I thought they are for movies and TV series.

So it can used for education also?

hmm that is interesting. i will check that.

• hipmomto3
    August 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

There is all sorts of educational content on both. PBS shows, documentaries (we love Ken Burns documentaries - using the Civil War and the Dust Bowl this semester - and America The Story of Us is great for history too), science shows, Discovery Atlas, Magic School Bus, Beakman's World, Peep in the Big Wide World (for younger kids), Electric Company for reading/phonics... that's just off the top of my head. :) Sometimes I will assign a child to watch a particular episode of something, other times they can choose something educational to watch if we we are waiting on 1 child to finish something before we move on to the next thing... it's a great resource! 

There is a FB group called Homeschooling with Netflix or something like that, you might check that out too.

Quoting julesjerry:

Netflix and amazon videos? -- I thought they are for movies and TV series.

So it can used for education also?

hmm that is interesting. i will check that.

Homeschooling Moms