Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Hoevegirl1986
we want to homeschool our son
August 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

bc of all his food allergies, not sure how to get started he just turned 2 this year but alot of our family doesn't think i can homeschool our kids bc i was in speacil ed my whole life, hubby is 100% sure that i will be able to homeschool the kids without a prob!  what kinds of stuff do you do or teach the kids at this year, do they test at the end of the year, how do you know they are learning enough! i live in michgain, i've heared they don't test!  any ideas would be great, how do i get our families off our back!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Wait he's 2?  No testing yet.  Just play right now.  Sing songs, play word games (begin the same, rhyme, mean the same).  Finger paint.  read to him.  Count the stairs, number of cement blocks on the walk, the signs you pass on the road, cluds in the sky.  Color. 

Talk, talk, talk!  As you put things in the cart tell him what they are, what color they are, are they veggies or fruits or grains.  As you dress him tel him what ou are putting on him.  "Look at this shirt.  It has yellow stripes and red stripe.  Let's cover your belly."

You have 3 years before school age, so just don't tell anyone right now.  There is no need to tell them until you're ready for kindergarten.  Less aring that way.  Then the best way to get them off your back is to show them.  Ignore the complaints for the first year.  By the second year, the proof will be in the pudding.

Welcome to homeschooling!!!  :-)

• jwhit8791
    August 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I am in MI and the only thing that we are required is to keep track of days but that is not required until Kindy.  You don't have to submit a letter of intent or anything like that.  With him being only 2 I would do a lot of what PP has mentioned.

You could look for a co-op also once he reached preschool age (like next year) but that would be if you want him to have some interaction with other kids (and maybe some for yourself, LOL)  I know that is a big reason why we do it.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

welcome amanda , at this age play!!! lots of hands on play, getting dirty, digging, hammering, chasing, running, dancing, singing, learning songs, finding bugs, playing, gluing, cutting, coloring, drawing, scribbling, painting, all educational at this age.

i was in special ed when i was in elementry school, and ive homeschooled all my kids  thru graduation plus a few others, so dont let the negative comments stop you! you can do it!  be sure to read to him every  day!!

be sure to check out your hs law!! http://www.ncll.org/chl-homeschool-laws-by-state

• KrissyKC
    August 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM

LOL!   I remember being this worked up over trying to decide to homeschool.   My first child was 2 1/2 and I was hyper vigilant (and overly concerned) about it all.

Now, I have four kids... we DID do some virtual schooling, then public schooling, then back to regular homeschooling.   I regret flipping flopping because of my doubts, but it is what it is.

I'm MUCH more relaxed and we are enjoying our time together.   My kids are kids.   Some are well ahead for their age, and I have one that I am REALLY struggling with.   However, overall, it's been easy enough.

As for not being able to teach because of your own challenges, that is just bogus.   In fact, I think that having had your challenges, and your kids being genetically possibly like you actually gives you an edge.   You might be able to understand "how" they learn better and teach them better than some one else.   Now, having had some learning challenges, you might find that you prefer to follow a curriculum of some kind rather than create your own (not saying you can't do that, it just might be easier)...

I think you are perfectly capable of whatever you put your mind and heart into doing.   That's the biggest secret.   If your heart and mind are driven in what you are doing, then your child will follow along.   Even with some challenges and set backs (because there are ALWAYS setbacks in life)... if you pursue, then you will reach where you and your child are meant to be.

• Hoevegirl1986
    August 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

i looked it up and i'm a lil conused it says estalish a home education program that a teacher certification is not required! but then under estalish a homeschool as a nonpulic school it sys a teacher certification is required, if i'm understanding right does that mean if i want to teach other kids i would have to have a teaching certification? 

Quoting oredeb:

welcome amanda , at this age play!!! lots of hands on play, getting dirty, digging, hammering, chasing, running, dancing, singing, learning songs, finding bugs, playing, gluing, cutting, coloring, drawing, scribbling, painting, all educational at this age.

i was in special ed when i was in elementry school, and ive homeschooled all my kids  thru graduation plus a few others, so dont let the negative comments stop you! you can do it!

be sure to check out your hs law!! http://www.ncll.org/chl-homeschool-laws-by-state

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yes, to homeschool your own kids you do not need a certification, but to homeschool other non-related children you would become a non-public school and need a certified teacher.

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

i looked it up and i'm a lil conused it says estalish a home education program that a teacher certification is not required! but then under estalish a homeschool as a nonpulic school it sys a teacher certification is required, if i'm understanding right does that mean if i want to teach other kids i would have to have a teaching certification? 

Quoting oredeb:

i was in special ed when i was in elementry school, and ive homeschooled all my kids  thru graduation plus a few others, so dont let the negative comments stop you! you can do it!

• mommy4lyf
    August 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    2 year old?... spend more time with him. Do some fun and educational stuff with him. No formal education yet. It is easier later on to home school if you have a good relationship with your child. Build trust and respect. That is a good foundation. Talking from experience.
  • kirbymom
    August 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Hi! Welcome! :)

At this age, all you really need to be doing with him is playing and reading and having lots of fun. You would do the same with him even if you didn't start schooling until he was 7. Everything you do with him is teaching him and educating him. For example, teaching him to get dressed, you can teach him numbers by pointing out how many pant legs his pants have and how many wholes there are to put his head and arms through. Then you can do some small addition facts like adding 1 pant leg + 1 pant leg =
    This is how you would incorporate learning with everyday activities. You can do this! :)
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

what blue said!!

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

Quoting oredeb:

• Hoevegirl1986
    August 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Thank you ladies you've given me alot of good info :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts