Homeschooling Moms

TJandKarasMom
Things are coming together around here....
August 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

On Saturday, DD and I went shopping and found out the places we can get an educators discount!  We got one at BAM! and they constantly ask "are you using this in the classroom?"  The whole world is our classroom, we can use anything and everything!  That seems to be 20-25% off, not sure exactly it seemed different on different things.  We got a rebate kind of card at Staples, I think it's 5% back to spend in the store.  And we used our letter from the school district for 15% off at Michaels.

We got some good stuff and I don't think I really need to buy anything else! 

I requested 18 books and 2 dvd's from the library (is that normal?!) just for History for the first two weeks!

And the kids spent the day today with DH buying wood, measuring, cutting, and drilling...building us a homeschool bookcase!  Then the kids and I spent some time stocking the book case and organizing their cool new supplies my brother and his gf bought them for their birthdays!  (They seriously thought the big bins of supplies was the best gift ever!)

Do your kids love school supplies?  Are you ready for school?? (I know lots of you already start, or never stopped!)

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

That is awesome!!

Are we ready?  Yeah, we are like 6 weeks in.  LOL

Do my kids like supplies?  Yes!!!  It's like Christmas morning here when the new scissors, crayons, markers, and construction paper go into the supply boxes.  Usually their crayons are little nubs, they are nearly out of gluesticks (eventhough we get new ones at Christmas!), and they are down to the brown, pink, and purple paper!  LOL 

Building the bookshelf is awesome!  I love reading posts like this one!

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    My kids love pens!
  • TJandKarasMom
    August 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Oh no, that's crazy! But still cheaper than the books. I always justify our late fees saying that that's how the library makes a little money, lol.

I am BAD at renewing books on time. I really hope I get better at it, I'm hoping to work the library into a weekly visit as part of school, so then we can always be returning and renewing and getting new stuff. And I will check everything out on my card because I can renew online!

Quoting KrissyKC:

OH, yeah, library books.   I have to limit my kids to about 15 books each week of their personal stash, and then I fill up their book boxes (on topic to what we are studying)... with about another 20.   I even get books out for the baby....

So, we usually get about 50-100 books every week.   We got REALLY sick once and I didn't renew or return them.   Our library charges 10 cents per book per day.....   I ended up owing $34.00 because of the flu... LOL!

Still cheaper than trying to buy them all.

• TJandKarasMom
    August 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    Do you only have boys?

Lol, our construction paper gets equal opportunity, aside from brown, because I have a boy and a girl! Lol. Which reminds though, we don't have any new construction paper. I do need a small list of things that they did not get, we will see how much I can afford after paying bills this week :0. Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is awesome!!

Do my kids like supplies?  Yes!!!  It's like Christmas morning here when the new scissors, crayons, markers, and construction paper go into the supply boxes.  Usually their crayons are little nubs, they are nearly out of gluesticks (eventhough we get new ones at Christmas!), and they are down to the brown, pink, and purple paper!  LOL 

• TJandKarasMom
    August 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    I totally requested around 16 of the books. But that's because my library is kind of small, so we have an inter library thing with a bunch of libraries in the state, and once a week they transport books between libraries. So lots of my books are from other libraries.

Quoting hwblyf:

So at any given time I have 60+ books out of the library and multiple DVDs.  Do I request and have them held?  No, but I can usually find stuff to work.  So it's totally normal.  :)

Oddly, my kids don't share my passion for supplies.  Huh.

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yep, just boys.  I've tried to raise them without the stereotypical color tastes, but it is still plain as day when the end of the construcation paper comes around.  They pick red before pink when making their Valentine's cards even.  Sigh

Well, glad I reminded you!  :-) 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Do you only have boys?

Lol, our construction paper gets equal opportunity, aside from brown, because I have a boy and a girl! Lol. Which reminds though, we don't have any new construction paper. I do need a small list of things that they did not get, we will see how much I can afford after paying bills this week :0. Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is awesome!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts