Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Okay, so spend the least....
August 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM

On what subject/supply do you spend the least money?  And, again, why?  Is it unimportant?  Or is it just because you can hand it down?  Is it something that people  (parents, inlaws, another hsing family) give you consistently?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Mine is music.  My parents gave my oldest a recorder and the lesson book, DHs parents gave them a lapharp and lesson book.  We already have some great music for appreciation.  And I find a lot of awesome music on youtube.com to listen to/discuss.  It's definately not unimportant, but I have people that think we wouldn't give them a good music education with out them...lol!

• AutymsMommy
    August 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Grammar?

No reason, again (lol). It just happens that my curricula of choice doesn't cost very much.

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

So far geography/social studies.  I am pulling stuff together off the internet and got some flash cards but mostly it is free.

• SusanTheWriter
    August 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Oddly, English.

I already own most of the literature we study! *gg* If I don't own it, we check it out from the library. And there are really good, challenging study guides available online for most literature.

And I have grammar and writing guides stacked up all over the house, so basic composition is not a problem. I'm splurging on an SAT Essay writing program this fall because I never had to write an essay (edit: for the SAT/ACT), so I don't know how to judge them properly. That's the first real money we've spent on English in over 2 yrs.

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Grammar?

No reason, again (lol). It just happens that my curricula of choice doesn't cost very much.

I am sensing a pattern here...LOL!

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Quoting kmath:

So far geography/social studies.  I am pulling stuff together off the internet and got some flash cards but mostly it is free.

Free is awesome!!

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

English would probably be my second because my major in college was Secondary Education English.  I have lots of grammar, spelling, and the literature is stacked to the ceiling!  LOL  So yeah, I get that!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Oddly, English.

I already own most of the literature we study! *gg* If I don't own it, we check it out from the library. And there are really good, challenging study guides available online for most literature.

And I have grammar and writing guides stacked up all over the house, so basic composition is not a problem. I'm splurging on an SAT Essay writing program this fall because I never had to write an essay, so I don't know how to judge them properly. That's the first real money we've spent on English in over 2 yrs.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

well english, math, cuz we just hand down the books, the rest of the subjects also cuz i make unit studies out of them, using library, internet, free stuff mostly except the cost of ink

also paper, my mom always keeps us supplied in paper

music doesnt cost us either, we borrow instruments from people in our churh, they also give the kids lessons, just the idea that someone is learning on their instrument is payment enough

• TJandKarasMom
    August 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

We haven't spent a lot of money in general and this is our first year so I don't know the pattern yet. 

We got math books from the book samaritan, foreign language from my parents for the kids' birthdays, grammar is free online, writing books I only paid shipping for, Science was a gift, history was borrowed from neighbors-and lots from the library as well. 

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I love seeing all the stuff that people get free or trade!  It's so awesome.  And we love passing things down.  The littles actually like doing what they saw big brothers doing before, like a security thing.

Quoting oredeb:

well english, math, cuz we just hand down the books, the rest of the subjects also cuz i make unit studies out of them, using library, internet, free stuff mostly except the cost of ink

also paper, my mom always keeps us supplied in paper

music doesnt cost us either, we borrow instruments from people in our churh, they also give the kids lessons, just the idea that someone is learning on their instrument is payment enough

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN