Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
How many of you mama's have made "the change"... (not what you think!!!)
August 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm talking about changing your lifestyle... specifically regarding the foods you eat.

How many of you were raised on mac n cheese, hotdogs, etc... and you started your own family and adult life the same way...   But somewhere along the road you started learning...

....gluten free???

....no more dyes???

....hfcs???  (corn syrup)

.....low carb???

....organic???

...."whole" foods???

....low fat????

If you have made a change, what do you feel was some of the most important changes... what changes do you seem to follow the most.. (because there are multiple ideas out there)... how difficult was it really?   

I want to make changes, but I'm on my own in my family and aroudn our neighbors.  I actually have neighbors that sneak my kids candy because they think all kids should have candy and we are weird.

Replies

• Kaya529
    by Kaya529
    August 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Can you give me the recipe?

I have a bunch of old towels I have cut up into pieces. It would be cool to soak them ahead of time so they are ready if I am in a hurry.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I made homemade cleaning wipes for the first time, with a roll of paper towels and a solution I found online. They worked very well. I can't decided if they lasted longer though because I used more than half the roll to clean out the nasty cabinets that I don't think have ever been cleaned since my mil bought this house! So I have to make them again and see how long it lasts with more regular use!

Quoting Kaya529:

I also make homemade cleaners. That is much easier and generally cheaper than store bought.

• TJandKarasMom
    August 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    It was one cup water, 1/4 cup alcohol, and 2 tbsp dawn dish soap....I saw a bunch online for the reusable ones using rags/old towels/tshirts, it might be different than the paper towels...just google homemade cleaning wipes and you will find a bunch :)

Quoting Kaya529:

I have a bunch of old towels I have cut up into pieces. It would be cool to soak them ahead of time so they are ready if I am in a hurry.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I made homemade cleaning wipes for the first time, with a roll of paper towels and a solution I found online. They worked very well. I can't decided if they lasted longer though because I used more than half the roll to clean out the nasty cabinets that I don't think have ever been cleaned since my mil bought this house! So I have to make them again and see how long it lasts with more regular use!

Quoting Kaya529:

I also make homemade cleaners. That is much easier and generally cheaper than store bought.

• TJandKarasMom
    August 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    I'm so going to try this next time they ask for a box of Kraft! Lol. I sometimes make homemade Mac and cheese, but it takes so long and I don't really enjoy it to be honest. I will have to try this sauce and see if it tastes close enough to the box ;)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

LOL! Pssst, DIY mac and cheese takes about 5 minutes more than the box kind - flour, butter, milk, salt, pepper and cheese. Plus, when you're done, you get to brag that you've made a Mornay sauce! (except you used shredded cheddar instead of Gruyere)

Quoting mem82:

Lol *hides box of Mac and Cheese *

We don't restrict anything but we don't eat a ton of junk, either. I have been working on making 80 percent of our food has ingredients that I can read.

• housewifehell
    August 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Wow I would be super pissed if my neighbors snuck my kids candy because they think they know better. But then if my neighbors did that I would take my kids to their home and sit there all day and make them see exactly what happens when you give my children candy. They turn into little monsters. It getts scary their eyes glaze over and seriously they act like something out of the exorcist.

We made the food changes to Clean eating about a year ago because I wanted to get healthier for my kids.  I never want them to go through the weight issues I did and I grew up eating all the stuff you mentioned above.  The biggest change we have made that makes things easier for us when it comes to buying food is that if it has a single unnatural ingredient in it then its simply not food and in my kids opinion "thats yucky".  Even when it says "natural flavor" we steer clear because I feel if you don;t want me to know what I am eating then I dont want to eat it. And when i see those words I cant help but think of the flavoring they makes from the anal glands of beavers and thanks but no thanks I dont want to eat that.  We dont do HFCS because its not food in its natural form.  I figure now (it took a lot of brain retraining) that if it cant be grown in the garden or doesnt come from a grass fed animal then its not food. That has helped a lot when i go to the store and think I want something from the non food list.  Also I figure if I want it that bad I can go online and look it up most things are not hard to make they just sound hard. Like last night I made homemade Cheeze-Itz and OHM they are so much better tasting then the ones you buy. And they dont make you feel like you have to eat more and more to be satisfied (because they dont have the addictive chemicals in it)   So anyway that is some of the things we have done.  The biggest thing that keeps me on track is my kids I constantly remind myself that loving them means that I must teach them the absolute best when it comes to nutrition because the garbage I was fed as "nutrition" is all fantasy (food guide pyramid and all that or that a calorie is a calorie weather it comes from a greasy fast food meal or a sugary snack cake or a fresh wholesome meal) I dont want my kids growing up with these lies.

• Kaya529
    by Kaya529
    August 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    TY

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

It was one cup water, 1/4 cup alcohol, and 2 tbsp dawn dish soap....I saw a bunch online for the reusable ones using rags/old towels/tshirts, it might be different than the paper towels...just google homemade cleaning wipes and you will find a bunch :)

Quoting Kaya529:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Kaya529:

• StepDucky
    August 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We have changed a lot over the last few years. When I met my dh, he was giving my step-son processed junk daily. A few years ago he was diagnosed with bipolar, we tried everything to treat it without medication, but I'm completely against giving a drug to someone unless nothing else works. We did notice a HUGE difference when we took him off of dairy completely. Our house is almost completely dairy free ( my husband and I still eat cheese and ice cream)  

We don't eat much processed foods anymore. We try really hard not to eat boxed crap. And to be honest, I've ate a bite here and there, it all tasted HORRIBLE!!! We try to stay away from GMO products. 

we still do eat out everyonce in awhile, but we make sure it's some where that has natural food. Nothing prepackaged. 

We don't drink sodas, haven't for about 3 yrs now. I get so ticked off when other people judge us for not letting our child have soda. We hear, " but all the other kids are drinking it, you're really going to make him have water?" First off, I don't "MAKE" him, he would prefer it over chemicalized processed crap. And second, he makes that decision. He knows its healthy to drink water and that since your body is 80% water, you NEED it!

like many of you, I also don't give him candy, and I can tell when someone has given him some. 

• Mommy2Emmau
    August 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We have slowly been moving away from processed foods, and going for more home/local grown stuff, FIL has a Jersey cow so we have fresh unpasturized milk and we have fresh eggs, and as soon as our budget allows we will be doing the majority of our shopping at our local BloomingFoods.  It's just sad how much more it costs to eat the stuff that is good for you!  : (

• ablackdolphin
    August 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have Celiac so I'm GF. I buy mostly organic foods.

• amanda.lyn
    August 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    Yep, I have celiac do its gf for me! I don't mind its better them being sick. I keep my kids gluten levels very low too. But I do allow treats, since they don't seem to have issues.
  • LadyVee08
    August 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

We have made the changes slowly over time. I am still trying to figure out how I can have some quick meals that are healthy, but it's hard. There really isn't anything you can get in the freezer section that is healthy. So, now when i make a meal that can be frozen before it is cooked, i make an extra to go into the freezer. Like, lasagna, meatballs, or grilled chicken (just season and freeze). We started off changing our pastas, rice and bread to whole wheat. Then changed our meats to lean organic meat, i found a butcher that carries fresh organic meat. All of our fruits and veggies are always organic. Those were the easiest change for the family. For cereals, I started shopping at trader joes, I could actually read the ingredients for these cereals. 

Our family definitely have their own options in regards to our choices and when the kids spend time with them, I know they get candies and cakes. I usually allow it when  we are not around because our kids don't have any allergies or other health concerns. Also, we designate Friday as a "fun food" night. They choose what they want to eat and I make it the healthiest way I can, but I notice now that the family makes healthier choices now. Instead of taco night, it has become grilled chicken with fresh salsa and quinoa. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN