Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
8-26-13. *Thought for the Day*
August 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

WE LEARN NOT FOR SCHOOL,
BUT FOR LIFE.

I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.

Replies

• tnt-manda
    August 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Isnt that the truth! I believe thats why in homeschooling we can make a lesson out of anything, everything is considered school material, and were constantly learning!
  • kirbymom
    August 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Quoting tnt-manda:

Isnt that the truth! I believe thats why in homeschooling we can make a lesson out of anything, everything is considered school material, and were constantly learning!

That's because it is a whole mind AND body experience. And even for some, a spiritual experience. :)
  • bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Learning for life shouldn't be such a novel idea.  It's why most people I talk to think they can't teach their kids, they are too set up on the idea that school is seperate from life.

• kirbymom
    August 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    I know!! It drives me absolutely wild!
    Before 150 years ago, schooling WAS life AND taught at home. I am still trying to figure that one out. Why the dramatic change?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Learning for life shouldn't be such a novel idea.  It's why most people I talk to think they can't teach their kids, they are too set up on the idea that school is seperate from life.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Not just separate from life, but you'll ruin them for life if they don't have specific knowledge under their belt in certain timeframes.  It's what keeps me up at night.  I think I'm going to focus on skills.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Why the dramatic change?  A great smear campaign by the government.  It's just my opinion, but I think the push in the early 1900's that rural home education was bad and school centralization was good created an expectation of having someone else educate our children.  We began looking to the expert more and more and it has changed the face of many things, not just education.  Look at home canning, for example.  Reading most home canning books makes it sound like you are planning to poison your family, and these are supposed to be the guides to do it.

Same goes for education.  You are going to ruin your child because you arent a trained teacher with a piece of paper from the government.  Very irritating.

Quoting kirbymom:

I know!! It drives me absolutely wild!
    Before 150 years ago, schooling WAS life AND taught at home. I am still trying to figure that one out. Why the dramatic change?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Oh yeah!!  It's like in PS when the teachers tell their students (and yes I have heard it first hand and had an overly anxious test taker because of one in the Elementary) if you don't pass this test, you won't get into this class, and then you'll be placed on the wrong track, you won't go to college and you won't meet the dreams you have in life.  You want to be flipping burgers?  GRRR  So irritating!

Quoting hwblyf:

Not just separate from life, but you'll ruin them for life if they don't have specific knowledge under their belt in certain timeframes.  It's what keeps me up at night.  I think I'm going to focus on skills.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yes, because of this one snapshot in my life, I want to be flipping burgers.  Now, please.  I hate tests.  Hate them.  And I don't even take them any more.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh yeah!!  It's like in PS when the teachers tell their students (and yes I have heard it first hand and had an overly anxious test taker because of one in the Elementary) if you don't pass this test, you won't get into this class, and then you'll be placed on the wrong track, you won't go to college and you won't meet the dreams you have in life.  You want to be flipping burgers?  GRRR  So irritating!

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Great quote! Didn't Albert Einstein say something like that?

• kirbymom
    August 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Ha! Yes, indeedy he did. Smart gal you are BJ. :)

Quoting usmom3:

Great quote! Didn't Albert Einstein say something like that?

Homeschooling Moms