Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Spend the most....
August 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Okay ladies, what curriculum or supply do you spend the very most amount of money on?  And Why?  What is your logic behind it. 

This is curiosity so please don't bash each other's responses.

Replies

• No_Difference
    August 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

I spent the absolute most on a reading program but I needed something that helped me just as much as it helped my daughter. She was/is struggling with reading and I have no idea exactly how hard to be pushing or if I'm expecting her to do too much. I spent just slightly over $200 to do Mosdos Press. But the teachers manual is extensive. Between helpful hints and pointing out where there is alliteration, the climax, the resolution, the conclusion, etc (stuff I honestly was NEVER great at) and then explaining why those parts are it, and giving discussion questions for each page. Reading the story through may have taken us twice as long as normal, but at least I know she understands it!! Then there are vocab and comprehension worksheets and tests (which those we may or may not do...haven't looked at them yet). I also find the justification of the cost up front now, because I'm only spending around $15 for the workbook for Little Man when he gets to this point in schooling.

The next most expensive on my list is Science....though for what I'm getting I'm still debating if I want to spend that again... It's costing close to $200 again this year for 2 of the book bundles. Last year it was around $300 because we had gotten 3 bundles, but they're only written out for 10 weeks, but now the lesson plans that come with are stretching it to 20 weeks.  I love Real Science 4 Kids and hate it all at the same time :/.

Sounds like the reading is a very good investment, but I'm one of those that believe if you teach reading and math then they can learn everything else there is to learn anywhere!  I haven't looked at Real Science 4 Kids, I piece my science together, but all the equipment and supplies cost a lot.  Plus I try to buy books on the topics they want to cover on top of the equipment.  With the time and money I spend, it may be intelligent to look into a curriculum next year.  Even $200 might be worth it.

I have a love hate relationship with my Geography stuff. 

The nice thing about Real Science 4 Kids, the majority of the lab stuff are usually every day things from around the house. Last year we were supposed to get a microscope, but it wasn't in the budget, and YouTube saved us. We were able to youtube the slide that we needed to look at and did the lab that way. This year we need a telescope, but fortunatly my dad had one that he hasn't touched in years and just gave it to us. The most expensive thing I need for labs this year are the styrofoam balls of various sizes to make a model of the solar system lol. The teachers manual is only a guide through the labs, and a lot of the answers are "answers may vary"...and that is where I have the hate relationship with this program. The student text book makes it really easy to understand, andt he labs for the most part are pretty basic, but I want at least sample answers and quided questions darn it!! lol.

I have so much family around the world right now that Geography is I guess free for us, and didn't even count it as one of our classes lol. My brother is in China, I've got a cousin in Africa, and another I think going to Lithuania or something like that. My aunt goes to Russia often. We get lots of stuff from them and in general just look up things from those places. The kids find it where they are on the map, and we constantly are looking at pictures on facebook they post. We have a map that they mark where everyone is and then a string or drawn line marking the direct route from there to us and how many miles and kilometers apart we are.

I hate those "answers may vary" types.  I get it, because we had a teacher that wanted a specific set of answers and would not leave a topic until we hit each one listed in the book, but I like some idea of the answer too.  Oh and when we were doing k12, some of the answers the books gave were crazy!  A college kid may answer that way, but not a 7 yo, ya know?

We have family all over the place too.  I hadn't really even thought about using that as a tool.  I did use it for current events a couple times.... I have a cousin in Bahrain (yeah probably hacked that spelling) and we talked about the Arab Spring.  And I have a cousin in Colorado who kept posting pictures of the wild fires there, so those were very cool.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more of an answer outline for the middle school series. On the plus side, the company is usually pretty good at responding to questions, especially on facebook.  I'm hoping this year with Astronomy and Geology I won't be as useless like I was with physics and chemistry lol.

With my brother in China, we're studying Mandarin for our foreign language this year, and my brother and I placed a fun bet on which set of kids can learn it faster lol. We've already dove deeper into learning about the culture than they have, but they get to actually see the cool things and have posted pictures of people randomly practicing Kung Fu in the streets. With my cousins in Africa, they have traveled all over Zaire (I think thats where they are) and have posted so many pictures of where they've been. So with each picture we look it up, and learn a bit about it. It is so far looking like it will be the "current" view of what we're studying in history lol

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

I spent the absolute most on a reading program but I needed something that helped me just as much as it helped my daughter. She was/is struggling with reading and I have no idea exactly how hard to be pushing or if I'm expecting her to do too much. I spent just slightly over $200 to do Mosdos Press. But the teachers manual is extensive. Between helpful hints and pointing out where there is alliteration, the climax, the resolution, the conclusion, etc (stuff I honestly was NEVER great at) and then explaining why those parts are it, and giving discussion questions for each page. Reading the story through may have taken us twice as long as normal, but at least I know she understands it!! Then there are vocab and comprehension worksheets and tests (which those we may or may not do...haven't looked at them yet). I also find the justification of the cost up front now, because I'm only spending around $15 for the workbook for Little Man when he gets to this point in schooling.

The next most expensive on my list is Science....though for what I'm getting I'm still debating if I want to spend that again... It's costing close to $200 again this year for 2 of the book bundles. Last year it was around $300 because we had gotten 3 bundles, but they're only written out for 10 weeks, but now the lesson plans that come with are stretching it to 20 weeks.  I love Real Science 4 Kids and hate it all at the same time :/.

Sounds like the reading is a very good investment, but I'm one of those that believe if you teach reading and math then they can learn everything else there is to learn anywhere!  I haven't looked at Real Science 4 Kids, I piece my science together, but all the equipment and supplies cost a lot.  Plus I try to buy books on the topics they want to cover on top of the equipment.  With the time and money I spend, it may be intelligent to look into a curriculum next year.  Even $200 might be worth it.

I have a love hate relationship with my Geography stuff. 

The nice thing about Real Science 4 Kids, the majority of the lab stuff are usually every day things from around the house. Last year we were supposed to get a microscope, but it wasn't in the budget, and YouTube saved us. We were able to youtube the slide that we needed to look at and did the lab that way. This year we need a telescope, but fortunatly my dad had one that he hasn't touched in years and just gave it to us. The most expensive thing I need for labs this year are the styrofoam balls of various sizes to make a model of the solar system lol. The teachers manual is only a guide through the labs, and a lot of the answers are "answers may vary"...and that is where I have the hate relationship with this program. The student text book makes it really easy to understand, andt he labs for the most part are pretty basic, but I want at least sample answers and quided questions darn it!! lol.

I have so much family around the world right now that Geography is I guess free for us, and didn't even count it as one of our classes lol. My brother is in China, I've got a cousin in Africa, and another I think going to Lithuania or something like that. My aunt goes to Russia often. We get lots of stuff from them and in general just look up things from those places. The kids find it where they are on the map, and we constantly are looking at pictures on facebook they post. We have a map that they mark where everyone is and then a string or drawn line marking the direct route from there to us and how many miles and kilometers apart we are.

I hate those "answers may vary" types.  I get it, because we had a teacher that wanted a specific set of answers and would not leave a topic until we hit each one listed in the book, but I like some idea of the answer too.  Oh and when we were doing k12, some of the answers the books gave were crazy!  A college kid may answer that way, but not a 7 yo, ya know?

We have family all over the place too.  I hadn't really even thought about using that as a tool.  I did use it for current events a couple times.... I have a cousin in Bahrain (yeah probably hacked that spelling) and we talked about the Arab Spring.  And I have a cousin in Colorado who kept posting pictures of the wild fires there, so those were very cool.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more of an answer outline for the middle school series. On the plus side, the company is usually pretty good at responding to questions, especially on facebook.  I'm hoping this year with Astronomy and Geology I won't be as useless like I was with physics and chemistry lol.

With my brother in China, we're studying Mandarin for our foreign language this year, and my brother and I placed a fun bet on which set of kids can learn it faster lol. We've already dove deeper into learning about the culture than they have, but they get to actually see the cool things and have posted pictures of people randomly practicing Kung Fu in the streets. With my cousins in Africa, they have traveled all over Zaire (I think thats where they are) and have posted so many pictures of where they've been. So with each picture we look it up, and learn a bit about it. It is so far looking like it will be the "current" view of what we're studying in history lol

My middle son had this awesome counselor at camp this year.  He went back to Liberia in Africa and passed his test for nursing school.  So Levi was exposed to a whole different culture which was really cool and he'll often point Liberia out on the globe.  Also the man had 30 brothers and sisters, his father was a King with 6 wives.  There was a civil war there all his life.  He's an amazing man with an amazing story!

We do get more geography than I realy thought.

Levi would LOVE to learn Mandarin!!!

• ablackdolphin
    August 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think it's about equal that I spend a lot on math, science and reading. I like lots of hands on for all of those subjects.

• bluerooffarm
    August 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I think it's about equal that I spend a lot on math, science and reading. I like lots of hands on for all of those subjects.

I like hands on activities too.  Are your kids elementary or are you still finding hands on actvities for your middle schooler?

• mommy4lyf
    August 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    Books (Reading, Writing and Math).
  • amanda.lyn
    August 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Math, cause we need it!!!
  • Pukalani79
    August 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM

This year it's a tie between music lessons (piano, voice, dance) and science.  Music is important for a lot of reasons, but boiled down it - helps even my daughter's mood swings out, encourages her talent, and helps keep her fit.  We opted to do Apologia's Human Anatomy for science this year, and I was able to spend a good bit of the money we were given by the charter school on models: heart, lung, stomach, brain, eye, ear, skeletal and whole body, as well as on some experiment kits. I'm really excited to be able to have them see what we're learning about.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts