Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
Wikipedia. Do you use it for school lessons?
August 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Do you use Wikipedia as a resource for your schoolwork? Why do you use it and is it more helpful or more of a hindrance?

What do you like or dislike about Wikipedia?

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    August 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Absolutely not. It is not a reliable source of information.

• vintage-misha
    August 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Absolutely never!!! We use credible websites when needed. 

• kirbymom
    August 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    I have looked at the information that is pertinent to what I am looking for but I won't use it as a reliable source. I will use more reliable, credible sources.
  • TJandKarasMom
    August 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    My feelings exactly.

My DSs 5th grade teacher had them using Wikipedia for research, and I wrote her an email, lol. I'm not sure she knew how unreliable it can be.

Sometimes if I use bing to find something simple out, Wikipedia pops up and I might read it quickly to get an answer...but never for school or other important things.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Absolutely not. It is not a reliable source of information.

• SusanTheWriter
    August 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    For quick blurbs of info, sure. No biggie. Want to find info about a tv show or something? Wiki it.

For real research, absolutely not!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    Quoting SusanTheWriter:

For quick blurbs of info, sure. No biggie. Want to find info about a tv show or something? Wiki it.

This is us too!
  • KrissyKC
    August 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM

No, I don't consider it all that reliable, and it's a little dry and boring anyway.   My kids and I DO google things, like if we don't understand the math the way it's being taught, we will google it or something..

• kirbymom
    August 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    [quote name="KrissyKC" id="0"]

No, I don't consider it all that reliable, and it's a little dry and boring anyway.  

My kids and I DO google things, like if we don't understand the math the way it's being taught, we will google it or something..

[/

We do the same thing!
  • celticdragon77
    August 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I have used Wikipedia before. It's a decent reference.

• bluerooffarm
    August 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM

This.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Homeschooling Moms