Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Have you ever inspired anyone to homeschool?
August 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I spoke with a mom today about homeschooling my son. She was amazed. I educated her on the legality and what we do. She left inspired. Stating she's taking her son off the roster immediately! We also swapped info. Thinking of starting our own coop!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM

That's really cool!  I haven't inspired anyone to homeschool, but I do educate on what we do and the legality of it.  So many misinformed people, I'd like to get the truth out there.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I don't know if I have ever inspired anyone to actually do it but I know I have educated a lot of people that at least said they where going to do some research on it.

Now I have helped a few of my homeschool friends find the path to unschooling. One was due to illness she let her son unschool the last 2 years of high school because she was sick for that whole time.

• KrissyKC
    August 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Neat, I've helped encourage people who were already thinking about it, but inspiring some one to just up and do it??? no...  I don't think I'm that influential... LOL!

• calimom1123
    August 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Yes our friends decided to homeschool after seeing my dd's results. Another friend was really thinking about it too for the same reason. Once people see how great it can be they give it a thought. I was the first homeschooler that I know but slowly I'm turning my friends into homeschoolers too..lol..

• celticdragon77
    August 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

No. It isn't a discussion that comes up much at all in every day life. The people I work with do not even know that I homeschool. Homeschooling is hard work and a personal decision that each family has to come to on their own. I am just not the right girl for the job of having newbies ask questions...  

• marrionsmommy
    August 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    All the time lol.....after peop le see my 6 yr old gettingmalong better socially and academically withtheir 8/9 yr olds than kids his own age people always ask about homeschooling. I have had 3 people switch to homeschooling this year. Now one other mom said she wanted to homeschool (the school wanted to medicate her son etc for normal behavior....not sitting still) she asked for help starting to homeschool, asked for my number and said she wanted to meet up the next day. The school was failing her son and I felt so bad for him, he was older than my son and so much like him, he was 7 and couldnt read write etc. I even offered to give her an entire curriculum for free and all my sons old reading books and hop sets. She was soooooo excited, well overnight she changed (im guessing hubby said no), she was supposed to show up at 11 then at 1 I texted her and she texted back she was tied up. Ugg it make me sooooooo sad, and my ds was soooo sad he thought he would finally have a homeschool buddy in our neighboorhood (she told both boys that she was gonna hhomeschool). It worse because I know the boy is still not getting help.
  • Chasing3
    August 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

well, no, but we haven't started yet - will start next week! And I was at a neighborhood get-together last night and all the kids were asking who they got for teachers, and my son says he's homeschooling -- sooo.... I had to talk about it all night with each parent. There was no negative reaction, but all the parents were more shocked and astounded that I'd want to give up my free time and devote it all to my kid and sort of an attitude like "how could you stand to deal with your kid all day??" Sort of sad, but I clearly understand kids getting on parent's nerves. I admit that us getting sick of each other is a big fear for me.

• kirbymom
    August 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Actually, we have. A family out in California decided that homeschooling was a better option after watching how I homeschool my kids. 6 months later they pulled their boy out and asked a ton of questions over the phone and we helped them get set up that way. Then, where we just moved from, a friend of my boys saw how we homeschooled and went home and begged and pleaded to be homeschooled too. They wanted me to do it but I wasn't in a place where I could but they went ahead and started homeschooling him. Then his older sister wanted to be homeschooled so they brought her home to homeschool too. I have had several people say they were going to homeschool after talking with me but I really don't know if they did or not.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

sure have a few families

• Pukalani79
    August 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

That's great!  I think I influenced my sister to homeschool.  I don't know about anyone else, but I think more than that, I've helped people see that homeschooling isn't weird, and helped to put a lot of misconceptions to rest

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts