Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kls32181
New to Homeschooling and need help!
August 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Hello all!

I'm new to this whole process and looking for advice on setting up a "classroom" that will still be usable home space.  Small and limited space and have to figure out where to set up my DS desk.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

You don't need a desk or classroom aria to homeschool. A TV tray & a bookshelf will do nicely if you have no space to work with.

• marrionsmommy
    August 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    We have a schoolroom, guess what never gets used? Lol.....we have 2 tv trays and do schoolwork either on the couch, or on my bed lol. Its just in us to spread all out and way more fun to do schoolwork laying down or sprawled out. I really only go into the schoolwork to hang up some ranndom assignment that ds wants to show off. I really might as well just have a bookshelf in my room as that where I plan and he does most of his schoolwork. Alas that is one compromise too many for dh ;)
  • SarahNElijah
    August 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    We have a play/school room, but we do many of our projects on the kitchen table, coffee table, couch.. Outside!! :-) If you don't have the space I wouldn't worry about it! :-D
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM

welcome kis!!!

your son could just use the kitchen table if you need room, its also nice to have a bookshelp for all the books and you can put other homeschool things on it also in containers, a chalk board or white board is very handy and maps on the wall or in a book, you can make a notebook with charts you would usually put on the wall so if child needs help with handwriting he can look up the chart, or needs a map he can just look in the notebook, or anything else.

• kirbymom
    August 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    Hi kis! Welcome! :)

You really can homeschool anywhere. Desk, table, floor, bed, porch, chair, box, shelving top. So many places to utilize. If you cook or bake, you can use that for math and spelling and even some science. Reading is also utilized from having to read the instructions. :) You can tie in history by learning what food you are cooking/baking and find out who made it first, how long ago and voila! You have most of your basic subjects covered.
  • KrissyKC
    August 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My living room is really long, so I was able to section off a "school" area.   I have four kids and have way more stuff than I need, lol, so I purchased cheap pantries from walmart.   (I have three)... to be able to keep baby and visiting children out of the school supplies.

Also in the school area is a really small kitchen table and a student desk.   The student desk was just a really good find, so I threw it in there for my kindy and she loves it!!!  It helps motivate her and was the best $5.00 I've spent.

I use the small oval kitchen table in the living room as "teachers" desk.   We also keep library book bins (stackable) on this table so we don't lose library books.    This table acts as my "staging" area for stuff I have to get out, organize, grade, or put away.    It's also a good area for me to do my own planning.

This is working well for us... I can work with all the kids at the dining room table, I can work with one kid anywhere needed (couch, bean bags, "teacher's desk", kindy's student desk, etc..)... we can even easily take it outside because the school area is RIGHT beside the front door...  yet the secional helps keep baby playing in the main area of the living room and usually out of my school stuff.

However, we've been in smaller spaces before, and have made do quite well with just working at the table or couch.   It's helpful to have clipboards and dry erase boards that are lap size that can go anywhere with you.  I love having my pantries.   They were only $45 at walmart, but we had to "build" them because they are those cheap screw together kinds.  

• kls32181
    August 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

thanks for the ideas everyone!!!

blowing kisses

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    August 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My best advice is don't have a classroom because it will seldom be used.  We have found that working at the kitchen table and in our living room is what works best for us.  And of course this was after we set up our spare room as a classroom, it is still my favorite room in the house because the natural light in there is beautiful! For limited space we use a lot of baskets, bins and rolling carts so these can be placed wherever. 

• Leissaintexas
    August 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Lap desks and clip boards were the best discovery I ever made. My kids' favorite place to do school in the winter is on hte floor in front of the fire or in my bed!  I tried desks and work tables when we first started and that is just so restricting! All of our reading is done on the couch, Math at the kitchen table or on the big whiteboard in the living room, and every thing else is done either outside or in the living room. My goal was to make our school look as little like "school" as possible after I figured out it was the "school" model that was the problem.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN