Homeschooling Moms

usmom3
Children Teach Themselves to Read
by usmom3
BJ
August 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I found this an interesting read & thought I would share it here with all of you! CLICK TO READ

Replies

• marrionsmommy
    August 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    My son learned to read by my teaching him, but he did learn to swim on his own through one of the methods listed here. We had been trying to teach him for yrs to swim . We tried to force him to swim, to throw him in the pool, we tried bribery etc. One day he said I dont care I dont want to learn, we left him alone. The next summer he asked to go to the pool and he started swimming that very day, now 6 weeks later he can dive, and swim better than kids who have been swimming for years. Honestly I think he was learning when we where teaching him, he was just filing it away until HE not us was ready. He is this way with a lot of things. I think we where lucky that when I decided to teach him to read when he was 4, that he was ready, otherwise he probably wouldnt have been reading still.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    August 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    That was pretty interesting.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    August 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    I have seen kids go from nothing to reading very quickly just because they wanted to do it.
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I agree that kids learn on their own timetable and forcing a kiddo to learn will only make them hate it (I know this, and STILL forced potty training on my old enough last child, and am STILL paying the price for that one).  My daughter taught herself to read at age 4.  I honestly had no formal instruction with her, it was something she wanted to do on her own (maybe her competitive nature shown through), so she was reading well ahead of kindergarten.  And now I'm at a place where I need to consider how I'm going to teach my youngest (he'll be the only one I end up teaching reading to), and I'm lost.  :)  I have to admit though, waiting until someone was 14 to start reading, that would make me nervous.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

interesting article usmom!

my 3rd daughter was reading at age 3 by watching me teach the other kids,i had no idea she was picking that up and we arent unschoolers.

the older kids and i were jus sitting there working on something and roby starts reading out of this abeka reader to us! we were so shocked!!!

my son didnt learn till he was 8, he was ready then and took off

thats why i alway suggest keeping younger kids in room you are teaching,never know what they will pick up!

• tyely
    by tyely
    August 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    I will be teaching my youngest to read this year, too. It has me pretty nervous. However, he is so eager and says he can't wait to read on his own. He keeps bringing me lists to quiz him on. He has three down already, and we haven't began our lessons yet. Still nervous though.

My oldest never had a problem with reading. From a baby I read 3-5 books a day to him, every day. And he always saw me reading. I believe this really helped him develop a love for reading. My youngest has an extra advantage seeing me And my oldest read all the time. And I've recently made my step daughter stop reading baby books, and more age appropriate books (she doesnt act her age for attention from her BM)... It has helped her tons. My youngest has always wanted me or his brother to read to him so hopefully that's a sign he will do well too. :). As I said...still nervous.

Quoting hwblyf:

I agree that kids learn on their own timetable and forcing a kiddo to learn will only make them hate it (I know this, and STILL forced potty training on my old enough last child, and am STILL paying the price for that one).  My daughter taught herself to read at age 4.  I honestly had no formal instruction with her, it was something she wanted to do on her own (maybe her competitive nature shown through), so she was reading well ahead of kindergarten.  And now I'm at a place where I need to consider how I'm going to teach my youngest (he'll be the only one I end up teaching reading to), and I'm lost.  :)  I have to admit though, waiting until someone was 14 to start reading, that would make me nervous.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    My oldest taught herself to read a few months before her fourth birthday and reads extremely well now at 8. My 4 year old is now starting to have an interest in letters where she never did before. She is saying the sounds of letters and realizing some words start with certain letters, or have certain letters in them. If I had to guess, she will probably be reading by 5 or 6 without any pushing from myself. But I can't be sure, because she could change interests at anytime and that's okay :) I don't specifically begin teaching letter sounds until age 7.

Homeschooling Moms