Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Chores and Allowance: Should we pay our kids or not?
August 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I am trying to figure out what to do with my son. He is 10. I want to set up a chore/allowance system. I wanted to know if you have a system set up for your children for chores/allowance. If so, how old are your kids, what chores do they do and how much do you pay them? 

If your kids don't have chores or receive an allowance, why not? 

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

My kids are 4, 6, and 8.  They each have chores but they do not get an allowance for the chores.  My 8 yo empties and loads the dishwasher, puts his laundry and toys away, sweeps the porch, takes care of his dog.  My 6yo sets and helps clear the table, puts his laundry and toys away, sweeps the kitchen and the classroom.  My 4yo sweeps the steps, puts his laundry and toys away, puts out the napkins and cups, washes his spot at the table (because YUCK!) and loads the veggie drawer when we get home with produce.  They also have barn chores.

In our house (and I know it's not the same in all houses) there are things that just need to be done.  I don't get paid to do them, but life doesn't move on until they are done.

Now for allowance, they do get a weekly allowance.  That's for going above and beyond.  We set up a payment system for extra chores that I typically do, but if they help me out, they can earn money.  Doing a load of laundry, mopping the kitchen, cleaning the rec-room, cleaning the livingroom, hauling in the firewood, raking leaves, moving the goats to a new paddock, washing the car, making a meal (yes my oldest is a fabulous cook!!) etc.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    My girls do their chores, unpaid. My husband does give my oldest a small amount if she cleans up the dog poo on garbage nights all month. Lol
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

My children get an allowance & they have chores but the allowance is about learning to manage & save money not a reward for helping around the house. The younger 2 (8 & 10) get $5 each once a week, my oldest who is 19 (he has Autism & can not handle the stress of a real job yet) gets $10 once a week. They get those amounts because that is what we know we can afforded to pay, if we could afforded more they would get more but we can't right now.

• Precious333
    August 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    No allowance, they have chores, but extra stuff we pay them for.
  • coala
    by coala
    August 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Right now, no allowance.  I don't get paid to do the things that are expected of me around the house.  I never got an allowance as a child, but I was expected to pull my weight and so much more.  My girls have a fairly light load compared to what I had to do as a child and much more than their peers, but they have chores.  They are 5 and 7.  They are responsible for cleaning their room, making their bed, sorting their laundry, "helping" fold laundry, putting laundry away.  Then we have a breakdown by child...youngest, feeds the cats, is responsible for the minor cleaning of their bathroom, picking up the living room, and vacuuming the hall between the kids bedroom and bathroom as well as the bathroom.  The oldest is responsible for watering the cats, picking up the dining room, wiping down the table, and vacuuming the rest of the living area....living room, dinning room, kitchen, and entry way.

BTW most of their chores take them less than 30 min a day combined.

• AutymsMommy
    August 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Our eldest (12 years old) receives a base allowance of $50/monthly. Her only set chores are feeding the dogs and taking out the recycling; she's expected to help when asked with other things though.

She is able to earn extra money by asking specifically for extra jobs around the house - these are often jobs that nobody cares for liking scooping dog poo, lol.

The 4 year old and 1 year old do not receive an allowance.

• mhaney03
    August 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

We do chores, not allowances.  I get that it works for some families, but here if you live in this house then you contribute to its running and upkeep, the end.  If they want to be paid they do extra chores.

• misselphaba
    August 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    My kids do chores because they need to learn to work. And alsoto do things that need to be done because you are part of a family and you have responsibilities.

I feel it is my responsibility to teach my kids about money, so they get $2.50 a week. You want something, don't ask me for it, you have money. You want something that costs more than what you have? Save up for it.

I do make an exception for things on clearance. I will buy it when they see it, then they can save up for it and pay me what I paid. If it is getting to the 90 day return policy and they haven't saved enough OR have spent money on other stuff, I return it to the store and they are out of luck.
  • KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My kids have plenty of chores they are expected to do.   If they don't do them or do them poorly, they are required to do them again and miss out on fun stuff they'd like to do otherwise.

For allowance, we operate differently.   We feel that giving them allowance helps them learn to make their own monitary decisions.   It teaches them how to spend, save, give, etc...   So, we don't base allowance on chores.

We give them $5.00 out of each paycheck to spend as they like.   It's the extra blessings we enjoy as a family.   It's not enough to make them fully responsible for ALL of their needs, like I would like to do, but it's enough to cover their extras... and I don't spend on extras otherwise.

If they run out, then they learn the value of keeping money, if they want to do extra work to earn more, they may, but that's seperate from their family responsibilities.  If they absolutely DON'T do their chores, then they have to pay some one else to do them, and I am not cheap.

• KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

oh and my younger one (5) is still on "little kid status" until she chooses to start acting like a big kid.  (no sucking her thumb, no peeing her pants, no ruining her sisters things, and chipping in with household chores on a grander scale than just her chore of feeding the dog.)... .anyway, she only gets a little kid allowance of 2 dollars a week.    If she pees her pants excessively, I charge her 50 cents for the extra load of laundry.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN