Homeschooling Moms

SusanTheWriter
I think I get to breathe now
August 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I feel like I might finally have a handle on getting this year started.

Trig - She finally finished Algebra 2 and made a B- in the class. Woohoo!! We also settled on using THINKWELL for Trig this year. Now the question is - how will this year and next year fit together, since she wants to go back to the public school? We can double up lessons to do Trig this semester and Pre-Calc next semester so that she can do AP Calc as a senior, along with AP Physics. Or, she can do Trig this year and Pre-Calc next year and only do Honors Physics. I want to sit down with the registrar at the high school and ask her to help me hammer this out.

Economics - We'll start with the book NAKED ECONOMICS: UNDRESSING THE DISMAL SCIENCE by Charles Wheelan. I found an 8-wk lesson plan that we'll go through, plus do a stock market game. We'll finish up the semester with some Dave Ramsey style personal finance lessons.

Science - Finally got the community college thing sorted out, and her textbook for Astronomy, DISCOVERING THE ESSENTIAL UNIVERSE by Neil Comins arrived today. We rented it from Amazon for about $40. It was selling used for almost $80. Classes twice a week and they start next week.

Spanish - We were supposed to do Spanish last year, but it got dropped by the wayside. So we'll pick it up this year. Right now, she's using Mango Online through our local library website as a review. We'll probaby keep working through that for a week or two, then jump into the new stuff with BREAKING THE BARRIER, SPANISH 2. I'm never fully happy with any foreign language text, so I'm kind of crossing my fingers on this one.

Latin - We're learning this together! We'll share the textbook, but we each have our own workbooks. So far, so good.

English Composition - I have Composition worked out, I hope. We're trying out the new Time4Writing high school level class for writing SAT essays. The 8 week course takes us through Sept and Oct. In Oct, we'll start NaNo prep and she'll use their workbook to do the NaNo Young Writers Program in November.

English Lit: Shakespeare - This is really the only class where I feel behind still. We're supposed to start an Intro to Shakespeare next week and I don't have anything really concrete worked out, just a hodgepodge of sources and books. I do have THE ESSENTIAL SHAKESPEARE, as well as SHAKESPEARE MADE EASY: HAMLET, as well as the play text from Folgers. I just have to put it all in some useful order.

Co-Op: There are 3 kids registered for my Jungle to Graveyard class, so I'm not sure if we'll even bother with it. Plenty of kids registered for Drama, though! And I haven't even looked at a plan for that. Better get on that next week after I figure out Shakespeare.

Next semester: If Time4Writing isn't a total washout, we'll use them again in the spring for their course on writing a research paper. Lit will be Fairytales, Folklore and Mythology. We'll substitute US and World Geography for Economics in the spring. And I have no clue what we'll do for Science. It's my understanding that 1 semester of a college course = 1 high school credit, which means that she'll have earned sufficient science credits for the year, but taking another class might be useful.

Am I missing anything? Do I sound like Tiger Mom? Anyone have experience with any of these books or curricula and want to warn me away now?

I'm tired.

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Holy nuts. I don't even want to think about upper grades yet. *leaves post*
  • bluerooffarm
    August 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

All I can say is that I LOVE Hamlet!! (I teach younger ones)

Go rest now!  :-)

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I agree with Boobah.  Holy Nuts.  Not only do I not want to think about the upper grades, but to me it sounds like you've totally got it covered way better than I remember my own high school stuff being covered!  Good luck with it all, it sounds amazing!

• SusanTheWriter
    August 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I like Hamlet quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to it. We're also doing Richard III, and Taming of the Shrew.

I wanted to do one tragedy, one history and one comedy and it was hard to pick! I refuse to do Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play sooooo much! But the hardest part was leaving behind King Lear, which I adore, Othello and Macbeth. *sigh* I'm also still torn on Taming of the Shrew. I love it, but I'm also a big fan of Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest, which isn't really a comedy, but is still a favorite.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

All I can say is that I LOVE Hamlet!! (I teach younger ones)

Go rest now!  :-)

• SusanTheWriter
    August 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You guys made me laugh, which I totally needed!!

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting hwblyf:

I agree with Boobah.  Holy Nuts.  Not only do I not want to think about the upper grades, but to me it sounds like you've totally got it covered way better than I remember my own high school stuff being covered!  Good luck with it all, it sounds amazing!

• xomrs.chase
    August 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    LOL

I have a feeling I'll be saying "uhhhhhh call your aunt" a lot.

Quoting Boobah:

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM

YAY!

• SusanTheWriter
    August 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

And I sorted out the Math bit.

We still have to double up on Trig and Pre-Calc this year because the high school only does one semester of each. They don't offer a year of Pre-Calc. But as soon as she's done with this year's double class, she can go into AP Calc, which is the only senior level Math class they offer aside from AP Statistics.

And instead of overloading with AP Calc *and* AP Physics, she'll just do Honors Physics as a senior.

Whew!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM

yea susan!!! you got it going!!!!! already it looks like!

• KrissyKC
    August 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I just answered "yes" I'm planning to homeschool through highschool in another post... but now, you have me rocking in the corner biting my nails!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts