Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
tiredmomfor2
They flip flopped on me this year!
August 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
In the last 3 years that we have homeschooled my oldest ds has had issues one after another. He struggled and struggled. At one point I didn't think he would ever read!
His sister? no problem. she has sailed right through..not even having to try.
This year we started out. DS is doing amazing. He is getting the concepts, he is reading. I can get him started on something and he can more or less just do his work. So proud of his progress. He has been a joy to work with this year.
Now..DD is another story all together this year. She started out like usual. It was clicking and and was getting it. But then she just stopped. I'm not sure if she has hit a mental/developmental wall, if she is bored or if she just doesn't want to have to try to learn? she has never really had to 'try' before now. It has just come to her. She is giving me wrong answers to stuff I know she knows, purposely transposing numbers and sounding out words with the wrong sounds..stuff that she knows..I know she knows it and so does she. *sigh*
I've changed a few things around and am trying some different approaches with her. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me. She is not even 6 yet and is almost half way through her 1st grade work.

Just wanted to say..they threw me a curve ball this year. I'm having to step up my game with one, and can finally relax a little with the other one.

Anyone else get thrown for a loop yet this year?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Maybe if you know she knows something you should stop asking her to prove she knows it! Move on to something new that has no review of what she knows in it. Children don't like to have to prove they know something anymore the adults like it!

• KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I think they all do that sometimes, give you the wrong answers on purpose.   Just keep rewarding good behavior with lots of praise and extras while ignoring or down playing the wrong answers.     Maybe it will fade on it's own without causing you too many headaches or making it punative.

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

5-7 seems to be the toughest years when it comes to homeschooling. IDK why. LOL

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    I'd give her a little break and do fun activities that she would enjoy. You don't want to squelch her love of learning this early on and it sounds like maybe she is bored or frustrated. Just a thought :)
  • bluerooffarm
    August 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I haven't been...yet.  Maybe she's just a bit bored.  I'm not one for entertaining them all the time, but I hate the review sections.  Can you speed through it a bit and tell her it'll be better in a little while?

• tiredmomfor2
    August 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    I'm not asking her to prove to me that she knows it.
    It is addition problems with math. single and now she is moving onto double digit addition. It is a new concept with similar things she already knows.
    She has also started mixing up all of her vowels. If it is an a and says o, and if it is an i she says a.

Quoting usmom3:

Maybe if you know she knows something you should stop asking her to prove she knows it! Move on to something new that has no review of what she knows in it. Children don't like to have to prove they know something anymore the adults like it!

• tiredmomfor2
    August 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    I have a feeling that she is getting frustrated. But it is hard because she is a head for her age...and I don't think she can advance much farther without us waiting for her brain development to catch up. Does that make sense?
    But then on the flip side, she gets very upset with me if we are not doing school. She is my go getter with school and cries if we don't do every subject. I think I need to find some creative ways to keep her busy without moving forward too fast right now.

Quoting Boobah:

I'd give her a little break and do fun activities that she would enjoy. You don't want to squelch her love of learning this early on and it sounds like maybe she is bored or frustrated. Just a thought :)

• tiredmomfor2
    August 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    I am inclined to agree with your theory. haha ;) Once my oldest hit 8 he turned a big corner.

Quoting mem82:

5-7 seems to be the toughest years when it comes to homeschooling. IDK why. LOL

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

awwwww lyndsay, maybe its a growing spurt!!! that great about your son!!!

how old was she when you first started teaching her academics?

no loops here yet!! (we've not started up yet)

• tiredmomfor2
    August 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    she started learning to read at 3. I want to stress the point that i did not push her. she would sit and beg and showed signs of being ready. she has hit a few 'developmental walls' in the last couple years, but for the most par has zoomed through.

Quoting oredeb:

awwwww lyndsay, maybe its a growing spurt!!! that great about your son!!!

how old was she when you first started teaching her academics?

no loops here yet!! (we've not started up yet)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN