Homeschooling Moms

almondpigeon
what do you do when your kids are uncooperative? **edit**
August 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM

for the past 2 days, both kids are being difficult...neither wants to "do school" and i'm spending  a lot of time telling them "come back here...what are you doing?  we're not finished".  this is new and i'm not sure how to handle it.

ideas?

**edit**....for whatever reason, both kids were amazing students today.  not only were they attentive and focused, but they didn't want to take breaks and made up all the missed work from the past 2 days.  

i think brownies were the key, lol.  i actually had to make brownies for a girl scout ceremony last night and we had a lot left over.  they both wanted brownies this morning, so i told them it was okay.  sugar rush?  probably -- but it worked like a charm!!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

How old are they?  Is it just one subject or everything?  Have you tried bribery?  LOL-Jk!

• almondpigeon
    August 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

k and 2nd.  the kindergartener starts out strong...but within just a few minutes, he starts wandering around.  the 2nd grader is just being difficult and drags her feet on everything!  

i'm trying to stay away from punishments because i want them to like school, not associate it with being in trouble, KWIM?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How old are they?  Is it just one subject or everything?  Have you tried bribery?  LOL-Jk!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

depending on the problem (if the stuff was boring or not suited to their learning style)  i'd get my dh involved, they straighten up then! sometimes i just had to spank them, and yes they still liked school,  hey yea like blue suggested bribery!!hahahah

how are you schooling them? is it just sitting there reading or doing workbooks? maybe their bored?

• almondpigeon
    August 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

we mix it up...we do a lot of projects and crafts and fun stuff, but there are some worksheets too.  

for instance, yesterday, we talked about rainbows.  we talked about the colors of the rainbow and made a gigantic paper chain with all the colors in the correct order....after we finished with that, the kindergartener walked away and said he was "finished".  the 2nd grader said she didn't even understand why she has to do school.  they're both acting really weird.  i'm almost convinced that they have been abducted by aliens or something, lol. 

Quoting oredeb:

depending on the problem (if the stuff was boring or not suited to their learning style)  i'd get my dh involved, they straighten up then! sometimes i just had to spank them, and yes they still liked school,  hey yea like blue suggested bribery!!hahahah

how are you schooling them? is it just sitting there reading or doing workbooks? maybe their bored?

• KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Are you keeping the lessons short, interactive, and at least somewhat fun?   Also, discipline isn't always punnishment, but setting up boundaries.    Examples might be, "No video games, TV, or playroom until after school session."   

Come up with some quick games to play in between subjects.   Play a round or two of bingo and let them earn pennies or nickels in a jar toward vacation or fun money...  the fun money can go toward things you do on field trips, vacations, or just family fun days...    keep it out to play another round or two after the next subject.    Bingo will help with number recognition, or you could create your own bingo cards.

Try a game of rhyming go fish... addition go fish....   dominoes where they answer a question about whatever subject you are learning....

Do you notice a particular task they feel is tedious or a subject they aren't enjoying?   How can you guys spice it up and have fun without actually bribing them? LOL!

Do lots of reminders and redirection.   Don't allow them to go off until you are ready to let them.   Then, once all the positives are in place, then start with a discipline.  

"School is a priority in our home, if you don't join us for school, then you may not... XYZ....   Once we are done with this, then we can... XYZ."

• misselphaba
    August 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Shorter lessons. We watch a lot of documentaries, Magic School Bus, Mr. Wizard, Beakman's World, etc for a lot of things. Mine really like that. We read actual books on subjects instead of text books.

Sometimes, I tell them they can sit here all day long, but it is getting done. And they can't get up until it's done.

But sometimes, it really is boring, so we don't do it. I might talk about whatever the subject is in the car. I've noticed a lot of times they get bored when the subject at hand doesn't really matter *right then*, so I let them go, file it away somewhere to bring it up later, and call it a day on that subject.

Sometimes, I say "fine, go away for half an hour, do what you want, and get back here with a smile on your face and be ready to work".

Or sometimes, I don't want to do it either, so we chuck it for the day and do it later.

Sometimes, a change in venue is all it takes. We do schoolwork by the pool with our feet hanging in, under the table with a sheet over it so we are camping, outside lying under a tree, cuddled in my bed...yesterday, my son gathered up his stuff and hung out in the hallway doing his work.

Sometimes, I change it up and have them teach me. They love that, and I am ALWAYS surprised by how much they already know on the subject. Then I can fill in the cracks.

Once in awhile, I will still talk/read while they play with play dough or draw or something.

Probably not good advice, but it works for us!!
  • KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but my kids would have been bored to tears with that lesson on rainbows.   That would have been a preschool project and discussion, but not second grade level.   They would have walked away after a short time, too.

• almondpigeon
    August 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    the lessons are short and I allow them plenty of silly time...we also take breaks very often. i am starting to wonder if I've been too laid back. good lord, after three years of hsing, you would think I would have it figured out by now!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Are you keeping the lessons short, interactive, and at least somewhat fun?   Also, discipline isn't always punnishment, but setting up boundaries.    Examples might be, "No video games, TV, or playroom until after school session."   

Come up with some quick games to play in between subjects.   Play a round or two of bingo and let them earn pennies or nickels in a jar toward vacation or fun money...  the fun money can go toward things you do on field trips, vacations, or just family fun days...    keep it out to play another round or two after the next subject.    Bingo will help with number recognition, or you could create your own bingo cards.

Try a game of rhyming go fish... addition go fish....   dominoes where they answer a question about whatever subject you are learning....

Do you notice a particular task they feel is tedious or a subject they aren't enjoying?   How can you guys spice it up and have fun without actually bribing them? LOL!

Do lots of reminders and redirection.   Don't allow them to go off until you are ready to let them.   Then, once all the positives are in place, then start with a discipline.  

"School is a priority in our home, if you don't join us for school, then you may not... XYZ....   Once we are done with this, then we can... XYZ."

• bluerooffarm
    August 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Do you know their learning styles? 

I give a clear sign of when the class will be over...set a timer or "just these 5 problems."  I also let them see exactly when the kids in the neighborhood left for school in the morning and when they came home in the evening so they could see that our school day was much shorter.  I give lots of breaks.  My kindergartener last year would have no more than 15 minutes for a "class" at the beginning of the year and then slowly built up until he was doing 30 minutes by the end.

Quoting almondpigeon:

k and 2nd.  the kindergartener starts out strong...but within just a few minutes, he starts wandering around.  the 2nd grader is just being difficult and drags her feet on everything!  

i'm trying to stay away from punishments because i want them to like school, not associate it with being in trouble, KWIM?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• KrissyKC
    August 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

When my older two were 1st and 3rd grade, we worked on the My Father's World first year of the cycle.   They learned about decomposers, the nitrogen and water cycles, a study on countries of the world... and both could plug in the names of 56 and 78 different countries around the world on a map by the end of the year.

They STILL talk about that year being their favorite so far...  

Homeschooling Moms