Homeschooling Moms

craftyzenmom
Working "outside" our home
August 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hi... I'm looking for ideas and advice on how to supplement our income. I've been at home with our kids for the past 13 years. Just before our twins were born in 2000 I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts with the notion of teaching. After our kids were in the public school system for a couple of years we opted out and have been homeschooling. The idea of teaching in a classroom isn't appealing and I don't have my credential completely finished. I am looking for a way to add a bit more to our income to help with braces, a new car etc... (our van is 11 years old and fading fast). Working from home woould be optimal with twin 8th graders and a 5th grader to still keep on track. When I look for opportunities I feel like the ones I've found online are scams etc... Our area is rather rural (in Cen. Calif.) and has a very high unemeployment rate, so there are not a ton of job options. Does anyone have any personal experence with working at home in something other than selling candles or cookware to friends (that market is completely saturated and I'm not interested). After 13 years at home, my resume isn't very "corporate". Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    August 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    What can you do outside a traditional business structure? What are your strongest skills in your current life? Do you have hobbies that can translate into a part time income - gardening, preserving, crafting, sewing, art, writing, editing, organizing, cleaning, website design, digital art? Think like a freelancer!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Have you thought about offering classes to the homeschool community? Or offering classes at the community center?

• TJandKarasMom
    August 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I attempted trying to find wah opportunities and couldn't find anything really worth it.

I ended up finding a part time job as an ABA Therapist, working with kids with Autism.  I go to their homes, I have two kids and see one or both of them for 2-4 hours each day.  The pay is decent and I am pretty excited about it. 

If you have any experience with special needs kids or adults, there seem to be a lot of jobs in that area even in places with low employment rates.  I also like the idea of teaching a hs class, you probably have enough experience to do that!

Good luck, I know the prospect of staying home and losing my income was stressful to me...luckily, my income didn't really change but I get to work less, more flexible hours.

• kirbymom
    August 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    The above advice is really rather good. Good job ladies. :)

If you have a skill that is marketable, and thr time to donit, the ideas are limitless. My hubby can make homemade smoking pipes, the kind that you buy from a catalog, but hasn't had the time to really go with it and make something of it. If you have both a skill and the time...?.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    August 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I babysit.

My friend moonlights at one of the tutoring places that people send their kids, too. 8)

• KrissyKC
    August 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

What are the daycare laws in your state?  Could you provide daycare or just bef/aft school care?

What about investing a little money into it, and put together a party rental situation.   Your kids are big enough to help.    You could invest in some used, but good condition inflatables, learn how to do some face painting, put together some party games, etc...  Rent the inflatables out, and offer the other services at a cheap rate until you have some experience running parties and doing facepaint and balloon animals and such.

• craftyzenmom
    August 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the great ideas... I'm going to start dropping the word here and there that I am looking for something and hopefully the right opportunity will pop up. I do have an extensive background in early childhood ed., prior to getting my BA, I used to be a preschool teacher, then a director, and I presented workshops for teachers on creativity in the classroom at national conventions. I have come up with some pretty good teaching strategies at home as well as far as curriculum goes. I do a really bang up job with unit studies in Lang. Arts (math is not my forte so the creativity isn't quite as broad there). I guess I'm just not sure how to translate any of this over into something profitable, it's taking the next step and figuring out where to go that's got me stuck. Thanks again, appreciate the input!

• tuffymama
    August 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    I know some moms here would pay someone to build custom curriculum for their kids. Is that a need in your area? Tutoring is also a big deal here.
  • tuffymama
    August 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Can you do writing workshops or SAT practice to help HS kids get ready for college?

Homeschooling Moms