Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mommynay2
My contract with the school department.
August 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I had to sign a contract with the school department and I went in there thinking the laws were different. I checked the laws with Rhode Island department of education government website. I found out the true laws of homeschooling. Things are going to be so much harder this year than last year. I can do it, I just have to do more planning, give them more information monthly, I have to give Destinay tests and give them the score. Oh and I am supposed to teach her 5 hours per day, no less than 25 hours per week. Give them worksheets with her name and date on them. I swear this is so foolish. Well I just wanted to complain over this and any advice is appreciated. Have a nice day.

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    August 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Wow, that sounds rigorous.  Are they aligned with the department of education?  If not I would ask them for the exact rule (rule 123.4a type thing) that says you need to do all of that.  I'm in Ohio, and I know people in one of my Ohio groups do that all of that time and the school district backs off.

• debramommyof4
    August 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    You can say you work that long, as long as you do work and can show it no one can prove otherwise. As for everything else I would look up state law online I did not think any state was that rigorous
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Yikes! I'd probably move. Haha! I am also in Ohio and we just have to send a letter of intent, and a signed assessment form at the end of the year.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    August 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Just to clarify, what are the actual laws of the state?

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    You need to read up more on your state laws. I briefly read about three different sites and it seem like your school district is overstepping the law.

As PP said, 5 hours can be reported as you wish.

If i plan a lesson to take 1 hour but the child.finishes in 20 minutes, I record an hour. Look at PS. They have an "hour" of history which is 5 minutes of the kids getting books and pencils and settling down. Stopping for questions from 10 kids. How.much of the "hour" is pure instruction?

If your child does a sport out of the home, practice is PE time.
  • Chasing3
    August 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

hmmm... I'd start researching that and see if they can really do that. I haven't officially started homeschooling, but  some advice I've gotten from others in my town (in massachusetts) who do and who ran into some problems with the district was to join the HSLDA. You don't have to be Christian to use them, I was told. I haven't joined and am hoping I won't need to... but I think it's $120 to join for the year and they'll give you free legal support. At the least they can tell you if what your school department is requiring and what they asked you to sign is within the law and get you out from under those requirements if it's not!

good luck!

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

TidewaterClan is so right.  If we do not know, and stand up for our rights, we will lose the freedom we have to be different than P.S....

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Wow, that sounds rigorous.  Are they aligned with the department of education?  If not I would ask them for the exact rule (rule 123.4a type thing) that says you need to do all of that.  I'm in Ohio, and I know people in one of my Ohio groups do that all of that time and the school district backs off.

• Mommynay2
    August 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    They gave me the paperwork that says the law down to the exact words. I checked at ride.ri.gov and it says it word for word.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

• Mommynay2
    August 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    I plan on having Destinay working on at least one worksheet per subject daily, documenting 30 minutes of reading. Documenting the length of time I talk for lessons. Honestly I'm going to tweak it a little to make 25 hours per week. Now one thing, cooking is educational. I have Destinay read the recipe, do math by the measurements of the ingredients, and she helps me make dinner every night. It usually takes around 45 minutes to cook. So I can document as time in school. Now hygiene is a part of health, so I can add a little more time as health class. See they say at least 5 hours per day in class, but they didn't say how she learned or how I teach her.

Quoting debramommyof4:

You can say you work that long, as long as you do work and can show it no one can prove otherwise. As for everything else I would look up state law online I did not think any state was that rigorous

• Mommynay2
    August 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    You are lucky, I am jealous.

Quoting Boobah:

Yikes! I'd probably move. Haha! I am also in Ohio and we just have to send a letter of intent, and a signed assessment form at the end of the year.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts