Homeschooling Moms

mem82
So my MIL is going to be moving in for a while...eep!
by mem82
August 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

This is going to be interesting to say the least. She does work full time and she will be in the basement for the most part so hopefully cohabitation isn't that bad. When Rob and I were first starting out we lived together for a bit to help her so we've done it before.

We need to get the basement sorted and organized. NOT A SMALL TASK. Oy! I'm tired just thinking about it.

Have you ever lived with or had a relative live with you? We've had my mom and then my SIL live with us in this house when they needed help.

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I moved in with my parents for a few years after my ex and I separated.  I needed space far from him and time to get my life in order.  I moved back when my DS was school aged so he could still spend plenty of time with his dad.  It was an interesting time.  We did ok, but my mom and I are way too alike in some respects and clash at times. 

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh and good luck with the MIL!

• KrissyKC
    August 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

We lived with each of our parents for very brief times.  It didn't work out either time.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

We lived with my parents at the beginning of our marriage. I don't think I could do it again now that we have been on our own for so long.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    This..
    When we moved from OR to CA we stayed with my parents (well, had our motorhome in their driveway) for about 4 months. It would never work now. DH and I are living as roommates and they would never put up with the arrangement.

Quoting usmom3:

We lived with my parents at the beginning of our marriage. I don't think I could do it again now that we have been on our own for so long.

• celticdragon77
    August 18, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I stayed with my dad in Texas (for about a year) to run his business and help take care of him - his wife passed away from brain cancer and he had his leg amputated, all in the same month. I hope it works out for you, I know it can be tough sometimes... especially since you all are there 24/7.

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

For 2 years, I took care of my 90 year old Mom, who had dementia and diabetes,  until she passed away. Because of her memory loss, and needing to watch her blood sugar,  It was very difficult.  But I  am so glad I did.  She was well worth the time.  I could of enjoyed her more had I just accepted the fact that she was passing, and I was not going to cure her. 

• TJandKarasMom
    August 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    We live with my mil right now, it's been almost 7 years :/

Most of the time, it's not so bad. We help her, she helps us. She is still relatively young so she works ft and DH works ft and I was working ft but the school schedule, now I work pt. She is single, I wish she would go out more and maybe meet someone. She's not really a happy person.

For about a week now it's been pretty tense around here. I told her we were hsing and she seemed to accept it, until the book incident and then she let it all out on DH and now hasn't talked to either of us in a week. I keep trying to play a conversation in my head about me trying to talk to her more about hsing but I am really angry and hurt about some other topics so I don't even feel like justifying myself to her and I don't have to.

I am about to look for a house to rent so we can just get out of here even though we don't want to rent. It will be interesting though because I don't think it will work out well for her if we leave.

Anyway, hopefully it works out well for you guys. It's nice that she will have her own space in the basement. And the kids will probably enjoy her being close :).
  • TidewaterClan
    August 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I lived with my parents for a month when I was 23 and moving my job and apartment between cities.  That was good enough for me and I wouldn't do it again!

Good luck organizing your basement.  Will she be with you very long?

• mhaney03
    August 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Lord have mercy.

Once I get out of my parents' house (soon!  I just got a job and start Monday!) I plan on never living with family again.

Homeschooling Moms