August 17, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Need a 3rd grade science curriculum!

Replies

• TxMom2324
    August 17, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    We use Apologia and love it!
  • No_Difference
    August 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Real Science 4 Kids or Real Science Odyssey.
    We use RS4K and I have a love hate relationship with it. Love the labs and that the student text is easy to read. Hate that the teachers manual is the answer to the labs and nothing more, and the majority of the "answers" are answers may vary. ...Truly it feels like waste of stinking paper sometimes. Fortunatly, at least at this point for us, It's all basic answers I've been able to figure out.

I have used the other one, but that was another one I was really interested in. I know it also has labs, and it is made for a full year instead of 10 or 20 weeks like RS4K is (written for 10 weeks, but the new lesson plans have it set up for 20 weeks).

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

i second apologia and real science!!!! great programs

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    August 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Take a look at Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It takes some preparation on your part but is excellent.

• birthymom4
    August 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Quoting lucsch:

Take a look at Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It takes some preparation on your part but is excellent.

What about Evolution?
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    August 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

What about it? BFSU is secular but mostly deals with concepts that do not involve evolution or at least do not contradict Creation. Those discussions would be at a more advanced level than this. What I like about it is it connects the dots, so to speak, of the different branches of science like no other curriculum I've seen. It is very hands on, and uses a Blooms taxonomy to encourage serious critical thinking skills. Since it is a teaching guide, I can choose books to read, using Apologia as a reference, as well as other science resources already on my shelves. I hope that answers your question, though I am not sure what you were asking. 

Quoting birthymom4:

Quoting lucsch:

What about Evolution?

• KrissyKC
    August 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Apologia is just fun.   We are making miniatures of themselves complete with all the body systems.   We will be making a jello mold cell and using various candy to represent all the components of the cells, we will be disolving the calcium out of a chicken bone,  and many other fun things to make science real to us... 

(apologia Anatomy)

We're also doing Astronomy, too, later this year.

• birthymom4
    August 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM
    Quoting lucsch:

I just wanted to know if it speaks against it.
    I don't mind supplementing it.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    August 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Not directly, though I believe in the higher level books, in the geology area, it discusses millions of years. I defiinitely am going to teach from a YE perspective, but since the child never sees the manual, I can tweak those areas.

Quoting birthymom4:

Quoting lucsch:

I just wanted to know if it speaks against it.
    I don't mind supplementing it.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Real science odyssey is good.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!