Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
teach.love.grow
right brain,left brain
August 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM
My dh is a right brain learner and I am left brained...that being said I know my kids could go either way.I want to have both learning styles invovled in my curriculum just to make sure both children are learning to the fullest potential.Question is should I just use both styles in my curriculum so they both use both sides of their brains or find out how they learn best and strictly use that style of learning? Will keeping both styles in their studies benefit or hurt them in the long run?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

You might find that their learning styles varies from subject to subject because no one learns everything in the same way.

• southernwldchld
    August 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I have a right brained child and a left brained child. My right brained child has dyslexia, my left brained child has dysgraphia. 

I got talked into trying brain integration therapy. I was excited at first, my left brained dd's handwriting improved and so did her math! Yay! My right brained kid seemed to improve his coordination. Yay!

But not really a Yay. I realized my dd's reading starting to backslide, this kiddo was a fantastic reader but not so good at math. I also noticed that my ds started to backslide in math and science. His two best subjects. He is three years ahead in math and he didn't even do the Kindergarten curriculum.

He just instinctively knew and understood math and science formulas.

So, I know you were asking about curriculum, but at some point someone may suggest this therapy. I can't recommend it.

I think that right or left brained, they should be taught the way they learn best. I stopped the therapy and my kiddos went back to being one fantastic at reading, and one fantastic at math and science. But it took a bit to get them back there. 

Now dd has gotten a year older and like her older siblings is understanding things she didn't quite get last year. I've never stressed over math because at her age it is repeated so many times that they will pick it up at some point. And ds is actually a year ahead in reading. But this was *after* I stopped the therapy and started teaching to their styles and strengths.

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Studies show that by using whole brain teaching, children learn faster, retain more, retain their natural desire to learn, and it improves the health of the brain.  In fact by leaving out parts of the brain in teaching (this is typically done with frontal lobe / analytical thinking),   educators can cause learning disabilities, and even emotional problems.  Brain Based Approach To Learning And Teaching  

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM

P.S. Whole brain teaching simply means to physically involve children in the learning process (involving  as many of the senses in the learning process as possible)......  Games, real life experiences, discussions, ext.

• KrissyKC
    August 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I haven't read or studied any of this...

However, I have three very different children that learn very different ways (plus a baby)... so we just learn using ALL the senses.   Hearing, seeing, touching, ((even tasting and smelling))... and we use a myriad of styles.   Some things are building stuff, some things are read alouds, some things are memorization, some things are movement, some things are ...  you get the point.

• paganbaby
    August 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Bump!

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    August 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I agree that you should use multiple approaches to better develop the whole brain. To me, it just makes sense that catering to a learning style will just reinforce that part of the brain while not developing other parts. 

My dd does not have good fine motor skills. However, she still learned handwriting, drawing, cutting with scissors and such. She learns piano and flute. Through all of that, she is now in a normal range for her age.

So, while I would not choose lapbooking for her to learn, she does occasionally do a project requiring the same skills. I have chosen a lit-based curriculum because that works for best, but I don't totally eliminate workbooks, hands-on projects, etc.

• kirbymom
    August 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    Teaching to all their strengths would be better as it would also strengthen their weaknesses. You want them to be able to handles as many types of thinking processes as possible. By that I mean if you teach to just one strength, you have an inability to process and think outside of that one ability. So, teaching to different learning styles would've a better approach all around. imho
  • celticdragon77
    August 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I have a form a petit mal seizures that I see a neurologist for. I have enjoyed learning about how the brain works since I found out that I had seizures (preteen years). One of the things that I have discussed with the neurologist at length is topics concerning learning. Seizures effect my ability to learn and memorize things. From what he has explained and what I have researched... a lot of information out there concerning learning styles and left vs right brain... is over simplified and sometimes flat out bogus. You can't be "left brained". You use all parts of your brain. Some people are better with certain of their brain than others, but it doesn't make them "left brained". Also, science has proven that any part of the brain can be improved by practice. There are much better tools to use, to help a child learn something. 

• Precious333
    August 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    We use all learning styles and approaches, even if they have a strength in one area and a weakness in another.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts