Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Maridel
Cursive
by Maridel
August 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I'll be teaching my second grader cursive this year. She's had some practice since she has asked several times before but I figure this year we will stick with it and see if by the end of the year she can be writing full time cursive.

Anyway, what style of cursive do you teach? What are the pros and cons of each style? Just curious, I was thinking D'Nealian style since letters start on the bottom. But advice is welcome. 

Also did anyone else teach cursive first? i've heard great things about it, and I have a Kindergartener that would be learing to write this year. Anyone have advice on this end?

Replies

• kirbymom
    August 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    With your LO, you could introduce it and that would be just fine but don't worry if she fusses or fidgets with it. She has plenty of time to stroll through it. As for your second grader, I would start with the style that is comfortable writing from your daughter's hand. Does she like to start her letters with what us most comfortable or does she prefer to write exact letter structure? I have one who just can not write the letters with the correct structure. They prefer "free range" structure. drivese insane!
  • Bleacheddecay
    August 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

We also did the D'Nealian style but my student has issues physically writing letters and numbers.

• JKronrod
    August 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I have a six-year-old first grader -- actually now going into second grade (he has a December birthday, so our grade levels are a bit weird).  I taught him printing first, but almost immediately began cursive as well.  He didn't have any problems, although when I tell him certain work must be in cursive he usually tries to persuade me to allow him to do printing.  I've told him that once he doesn't care which he uses, I'll stop telling him that he has to use cursive.  I don't know what style I actually teach.  Generally, I teach him what I do when I write in cursive.  Frankly, I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent and the work is readable and neat.  For my son, what I did was teach a few letters at a time beginning with the most common ones, and those that are made in a way that is similar to the most common ones -- b for example, is very similar to l, and w is similar to u -- and I selected writings that had only those letters he knew.  Then, I gradually released the restrictions and simply taught him how to make the new letters he came across as he needed them (usually with a bit of practice for the letter as well).  So, for example, he can write most sentences he is assigned, but only last week he asked me, and learned how to write an "x," and he's still working on most of the capital letters (although his capital T's and I's are great, since a good many sentences start with those letters). 

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    We used handwriting without tears, I honestly have no clue what type they use!
  • Maridel
    by Maridel
    August 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

She is very "free range". With printing she likes to start letters from the bottom up (like l, i, b, etc.. letters you usually start from the top). and if I tried to explain she should start from the top, or make any change to her "her way", she'll tell you "I like doing it my way". lol

Quoting kirbymom:

With your LO, you could introduce it and that would be just fine but don't worry if she fusses or fidgets with it. She has plenty of time to stroll through it. As for your second grader, I would start with the style that is comfortable writing from your daughter's hand. Does she like to start her letters with what us most comfortable or does she prefer to write exact letter structure? I have one who just can not write the letters with the correct structure. They prefer "free range" structure. drivese insane!

• kirbymom
    August 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Quoting Maridel:

Lol - yep. I sure am familiar with that statement! :))
  • kmath
    by kmath
    August 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Oh man, that is so my son.  He likes to write things in ways that, to me, seem so much more difficult.  He swears up and down that it is easier the way he does it!

Quoting Maridel:

She is very "free range". With printing she likes to start letters from the bottom up (like l, i, b, etc.. letters you usually start from the top). and if I tried to explain she should start from the top, or make any change to her "her way", she'll tell you "I like doing it my way". lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts