Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
Tips for a first timer?
August 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Does anyone have any tips for a first time homeschooler? My DS is going into grade 3 we dont have a big place...so no dinning room table so will be doing work on the coffee table.

Any tips though...

The programe I will be using is where I have a teacher I am acountable to and he will be going to school with the other homeschool kids weekly..

I am really nervous about all of this

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Best tip I have is to NOT sweat the small stuff. Go at his pace and if he is getting restless, it is completely OK to get up and go for a walk.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Remember to keep it fun.

With a charter or umbrella program it is harder.to work at your child's pace but do so as much as possible. Make sure.you know.the minimum requirements so you have leeway but don't get in trouble :) An exmple-we use a charter school and the minimum for essays is two per year. My friend who was also with the same school was told by her IST it was one per month (10 per year) they were getting stressed out trying to do everything and were amazed and relieved when I revealed that they didn't HAVE to do that many. I sometimes have mine do more, if it ties into what we are studying, but it is my choice
  • romacox
    by romacox
    August 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • jwhit8791
    August 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Do one year at a time........don't focus on high school if you are working with a preschooler.  I made that mistake and freaked out.  But I don't have to worry about that because we aren't working on calculus now, we are learning how to read.  Just take it one day at a time.  You can do this!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Enjoy yourself
    Keep the love of learning
    Don't shove useless information down their throats
    Homeschool is not school at home
    Be flexible!
    Do math at the park!
    Take a day off if you need it
    Establish a rhythm to your days
    Simple is better. Don't buy a bunch of stuff preparing for years ahead. Odds are you'll never use it. I made that mistake. Lol! Only have out what you will actually use, box up or sell the rest.
  • mommy4lyf
    August 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

You just mentioned the most common mistake new homeschoolers do =)  I totally agree with you!

Quoting jwhit8791:

Do one year at a time........don't focus on high school if you are working with a preschooler.  I made that mistake and freaked out.  But I don't have to worry about that because we aren't working on calculus now, we are learning how to read.  Just take it one day at a time.  You can do this!

• kirbymom
    August 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    Love all of the above advice. :)

Take a deep breath. Hold it for about 20 seconds. Let it out slowly. Now realize this important thought for now and for down the road....

You R NOT going to ruin your child(ren)!!!!!!!!!
    You will make mistakes but what human being doesn't? We all do! But realize that homeschooling allows for that and for being able to deal with the mistakes and find where you can fix the mistakes and move on when ready. Do not get caught up in the thinking that if you miss a few lessons or a week or two/month or two that that will make you fall way behind and then everything and your kids are just ruined. Blah! NOTHING is ruined. You go at your own pace. If by any chance you find your program/curriculum is not working for your child and you, you DO have te option to change. The reason being is this.....
    You are in charge! Period. You direct your family. You make the decisions that best suit you and your family.
    You can do this mama! We have faith in you. Now have faith in yourself! :)
  • ablackdolphin
    August 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Games are to math what books are to reading.  Make math FUN!

• TidewaterClan
    August 17, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    Don't stress even if a lesson takes longer than you think it should.

This is what I've learned after a homeschooling for a whole week. :) Math has taken longer than I'd guessed but my DD enjoyed most of it and really understood it at the end.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts