Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
swim-mom72
Trying anything new?
August 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Are any of you trying something new this year and you love it? This could be a method or materials used. Or perhaps you have been trying something you had high hopes for success, only to be disappointed? I would love to hear about it : )

Replies

• swim-mom72
    August 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM

One of the new things we are trying, as far as curriculum, is Life of Fred as a supplement for math. So far, we LOVE it! My 8th grader is using the pre-alg. with Biology, and it is going great.

I also bought the physics one for my 11th grader, but he has not started it yet.

• debramommyof4
    August 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    We are leaving k12 with my oldest and using normal homeschool curriculum and making up some of it.
  • ballerina.2006
    August 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    We are trying:
    Logic of English (the younger levels)

bfbooks.com Early American History Primary Jumbo Pack (soo excited for this!)

Beyond School Learning Palette- supplement for dd and part of "school" for my ds1 for pre-k

Braingrow.com for elementry Spanish

And still contemplating kidsart.com for new art books

Phew! We're trying a LOT of new! I was in desperate need of a new English and social studies curriculum so I'm beyond excited for those to come in!
  • armygirl16
    August 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    Everything is new this year! We start kindergarten this year. We will be using Memoria Press (getting it any day in the mail). We are delaying our move by 13 weeks, so I can start school Friday, August 16th like I wanted. I hope we like this curriculum. If not them hubby said we can switch over to Sonlight for 1st grade. Hubby will be doing the teaching and I will do the planning/compiling/organizing. I work 40-55 hours a week so I will teach on my days off :).
    Everything from curriculum to methods are new to us :)
  • swim-mom72
    August 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

sorry K12 did not work out for you. actually, I have never talked with anyone that it did work out for.

good luck with your new material!

Quoting debramommyof4:

We are leaving k12 with my oldest and using normal homeschool curriculum and making up some of it.

• swim-mom72
    August 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

wow! that is a LOT of new stuff! lol most of it I have never even heard of. I love BF and have used a couple of their books over the years.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

We are trying:
    Logic of English (the younger levels)

bfbooks.com Early American History Primary Jumbo Pack (soo excited for this!)

Beyond School Learning Palette- supplement for dd and part of "school" for my ds1 for pre-k

Braingrow.com for elementry Spanish

And still contemplating kidsart.com for new art books

Phew! We're trying a LOT of new! I was in desperate need of a new English and social studies curriculum so I'm beyond excited for those to come in!

• swim-mom72
    August 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yeah for Kinder!! Such a fun time. And that is so neat that your hubby will be doing most of the schooling : )

Good luck!

Quoting armygirl16:

Everything is new this year! We start kindergarten this year. We will be using Memoria Press (getting it any day in the mail). We are delaying our move by 13 weeks, so I can start school Friday, August 16th like I wanted. I hope we like this curriculum. If not them hubby said we can switch over to Sonlight for 1st grade. Hubby will be doing the teaching and I will do the planning/compiling/organizing. I work 40-55 hours a week so I will teach on my days off :).
    Everything from curriculum to methods are new to us :)

• mommy4lyf
    August 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    This first year, I bought materials from different publishers. I tried ixl.com, clicknread and their spelling and decided they are a keeper.
  • swim-mom72
    August 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

That is great when you find something that works! What ages are your kids?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

This first year, I bought materials from different publishers. I tried ixl.com, clicknread and their spelling and decided they are a keeper.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    We purchased oak meadow, and while it was lovely it wasn't the grade level we needed, and it also didn't really outshine our current curriculum which is way cheaper. So we decided to stick with the same as last year - journey through Waldorf. We loved it, and it worked beautifully for us, so why change right?

We are reading the American girl history series, and Julia really likes it. We aren't doing anything formal, just for fun.

I tried math u see over the summer and was a bit disappointed in level beta. It uses blocks forEVERYTHING and made little sense, so it confused my daughter on things she already knew how to do. We were watching the video together and doing it, but finishing out the curric I will watch it and just show her using the Waldorf method.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts