Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
NoraDun
Am I putting to much on him?? LOTS of info and questions (sorry)
by NoraDun
August 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

So this is year #2 homeschooling! Last year I pretty much ONLY homeschooled my oldest (2nd grade) but fiddled around a little with my second son (Kindergarten) this year my oldest is in 3rd, my second son is officially Kindergarten. And we have knock on wood, thus far gotten off to a much better, more organized start! We get done with my second son's work quickly of coarse. After discussing colors, letters, sounds, and doing a bit of math, he is done! My oldest has about 2 1/2 hrs of work depending on how well he works. He has ADHD along with some other undiagnosable issues and we finally decided to start him on a med to see if it will help because I felt he was falling behind! So we are 3 wks into the new med, and I am still not sure if I like it or not, notice a difference good or bad, or not, etc. But anyway back to my initial point....my oldest is doing Math, Reading, English, Health, Science, and History every day! And I am gonna have him start doing a writing task as his creative writing is horrific! Is that too much for him?? Is having History, Science, and Health every day too much. Thus far he is doing well with it, but then I was thinking will he be able to take in all the information from all the subjects, or will he struggle with it? What are your thoughts?

Also he is awesome at Math, does really well at English! History, Science, and Health (I read those books to him or with him) he is fine with. But he struggles terrible in reading, spelling, and writing! He hates it #1 so its always a challenge. I am asking more of him because of that fact, and he isn't fighting me too bad. But I am so worried he is gonna never know how to read well, spell well, etc.

Some examples of reading : He will add words that aren't there, use The in place of A, or There in place of Here, or What in place of Went. When I notice this I tell him to take a deep breathe and start the sentence over and then he normally does fine. And then he will get some very large hard words right off the bat, and stuggle with smaller words or compound words that should be easy to sound out!

He absolutely can not put words together correctly for spelling. For example: He knows CH makes the CHA-sound. But when asking him to write a word like beach, would write beack! So I am working on getting him to focus on sounds, but of coarse by 3rd grade they are using lots of words you can't spell by sound! So that is a struggle!

And as far as writing, he can not creative write. I mean asking him to write a sentence is like pulling teeth. In English he has learned and is great at fixing punctuation and using capitalization. But in his own writing doesn't, he turns letters backwards still, and he will ask me how to spell every word he writes, and if I dont majority of his words aren't spelled correctly. And I personally dont think its because he doesn't know it but more because he is just not in the mood, wants it done, and doesn't want to put forth the effort or really think and concentrate on it!

Any advice for bettering his reading, writing, and spelling??

We have joined the library and started checking out books in hopes that he will find books HE wants to read. But he doesn't want to read them, he wants to look at them, and have me read them. We have started reading every night as a family (something we haven't done in a year or more) and I have started reading chapter books to them so they don't ask for pictures, but use their imaginations. Hoping it will help him enjoy reading more!

Thanks for any advice ladies!

Replies

• marrionsmommy
    August 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM

BUMP!

• marrionsmommy
    August 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    Meant to add my son is 6 and just like this. He can read words like independance but struggles to read 4 letter words at times.Bugs the heck outta me. He hates to write but ive gotten him into making comics this year and he loves it. Simple to write 1 sentence per character and he is still getting his writing in. Reading for some reason he hates it but I know he is a strong reader I just feel he gets bored. Sometimes I think its cause he is lazy like he guess words instead of actually reading them because its easy.he has been reading since he was 4 so I know he can do it. Only thing thatmhas him reading is the game Zelda for the wii, there is sooo much reading in that game and he does it with no problem. Ill be watching this post to hopefully get some suggestions that can work for him too.
  • NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    August 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

My son will read the words on his wii game too. Although he does struggle with some of them as well. But he doesn't even like to do that :( Thanks hun, I just worry about him getting behind, and although I am trying to get out of the mind set that while homeschooling there is no behind I have this fear of us sending him back to public school as like a 9th grader and him being so far behind the other kids he fails :(

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Meant to add my son is 6 and just like this. He can read words like independance but struggles to read 4 letter words at times.Bugs the heck outta me. He hates to write but ive gotten him into making comics this year and he loves it. Simple to write 1 sentence per character and he is still getting his writing in. Reading for some reason he hates it but I know he is a strong reader I just feel he gets bored. Sometimes I think its cause he is lazy like he guess words instead of actually reading them because its easy.he has been reading since he was 4 so I know he can do it. Only thing thatmhas him reading is the game Zelda for the wii, there is sooo much reading in that game and he does it with no problem. Ill be watching this post to hopefully get some suggestions that can work for him too.

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 7, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Hi NoraDun.  in reading your post, two things come to mind:

(1) Too often we are led to believe that children should be at certain levels by certain ages.  However the latest brain research tells this: Learning is influenced by the natural development of the body and brain. According to brain research for example, there can be a five-year difference in maturation between any two “average” children. Gauging achievement on the basis of chronological age is therefore inappropriate .  Many very smart analytical children  do not fit the time schedules set by the p.s. system.

(2. )

(2) 

• catrig
    by catrig
    August 7, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Course. Sorry, it was bothering me.
  • bluerooffarm
    August 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We take a 30 minute Drop Everything And Read (Dear) time after lunch.  Everyone picks up a book to read and the kids lie flat on their beds to read them.  It's a total quiet time.  I sit on the rocking chair in their room and read my own book.  Being an entire 30 minutes with a level appropriate book, they usually read it, not just look at it.  For one so young 30 minutes is an eternity to sit still and quiet unless they have an activity to do during that time, so read it is.  Also since I am reading my own book, they do not ask me to read to them.

• mommy4lyf
    August 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Have you had his eyes checked?.. Have you heard of vision therapy?.. My son will have his evaluation on the 29th. I bought the complete set of hooked on phonics k-2. I want to know where he's at and where he needs more help. He started skipping words too and replacing words but the program made him more confident. I used A Beka books for k-3 and leapfrog tags books after hooked on phonics and it's everyday including Sat and Sun.
  • coala
    by coala
    August 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I can tell you that we were going through the same thing with the reading.  I actually backed off.  I just had her reading what we were doing for class....which was just a few pages a day and a few pages after school.  Nothing major.  She has all of sudden blossomed and is becoming a much better reader. 

In regards to the History, Health and Science daily I think that may be a bit much.  I would spread it out.  Like do Health one day a week and History and Science twice.  Make sure get in some music and art as well.  These don't have to be as structured but they let them have a creative outlet of somesort.

With writting my oldest (she came to us at 6 and we adopted her) who is now 7 1/2 couldn't even rhyme let alone try to creatively write a sentence.  We have workbooks that give a picture and ask for the student to write a sentence telling about the picture.  This is helping in her creative area because she has now turned to "song writting".  It is a little out there, but she is really enjoying it, so I haven't stopped it.

Patience is KEY when HS.  I have been one to jump to thinking that something is wrong with my child b/c she seemed so far behind her peers.  She is finally on par with her reading level and she is working really hard at bringing up her level of comprehension when she is reading.  She will tell me about the book that she is reading and want me to quiz her on it.  Just hang in there momma because it will all get better.  Please try not to compare him to others because he really is unique and will develop at his own rate with this.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

hi nora, mine have always done all those subjects plus a couple more each day, so i dont think its to much but would it be to much with a child with adhd? that i dont know.

as far as him being in 3rd grade and needing to be at a certain place, since we homeschool we can set our own standards and we dont need to follow the public schools, its ok if hes not quite getting the reading yet, (my son was same way) what i did was have him read a bit everyday with me, we took turns, i had him reading signs when we went to town, directions, etc just everyday stuff so it would seem like i was pushing him to learn, i even had him read to the baby chicks and kittens! haha  since your son is oldest what about having him read to your youngest, books that he can read good, like the phonics booklets just to give him confidence(you dont have to tell him they are the easiest books)

and what your doing with them with the family reading is great!!!! love it!

with writing what i did was start off slow with a journal, first week i had them copy what i wrote on board(couple sentence) and then next week i did one sentence and had them make up their own sentence to go with that one, just added a sentence a day after that, also gave them a picture and had them write words at first, then putting the words together, making sentences(little grammar in there) also let them chose which picture they wanted,

also i would write a bunch of nouns and verbs on index cards for each picture and have them chose and read the words that described the picture and then write them, like a game, anything with a bit of action in it they liked!

another thing i did for writing was have them first draw an island and put huts or houses or tents, mountians trees bushes rocks rivers water of some type, (what they wanted on it) then i had them make a list of the people and animals that lived there , they also drew the people or animals(could be stick figures or however theydraw) then i had them write the name of the island, then an introduction to the island, and eventually they wrote a story of the island, but we did it in steps so it wasnt overwelming, we did this each year they liked it so much,

we even incorporated science into it, they made the island out of oh whats it called that water and flour stuff, and added volcano that would errupt, added the homes, huts etc, people, and we learned about volcanos and had the kids find out what would be the best way to make the volcano errupt(you know coke and baking soda, memintos(sp) etc) and we videoed each errupution, edited it, put music to it etc. they loved it and they learned to be creative in their writing, learned about volcanoes, etc! well just a few things i did to help the writing process begin and continue! sorry this is so long.

• NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    August 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Thanks so much everyone!!! Lots of help!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts