Homeschooling Moms

abecenti79
Need help to start with homeschooling
August 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hello, 

I am new to this group. My name is Amber. I am 27 years old and have 3 children. We have just relocated to Montana. My husband and I are looking to homeschool our 2 older children but I have no idea where to start. 

Is there any way someone can guide me in the right direction? I wanted to go through K12 but they aren't available in my state.

I am up to date on the homeschooling law in this state. But I just have no clue where to start.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Welcome to the group!

Start with learning your children learning styles it will help you understand how they learn & help with picking matterials & curriculum. Also learn your teaching & learning style so that you know how your brain works to avoid the conflict that might come from trying to teach subjects that you & your children understand differently.

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hello!

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

What grades?

Are you wanting a cyber learning deal or a boxed curriculum or are you looking to just put together whatever works? 8)

• debramommyof4
    August 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Connections Academy is another online school. But if you would let us know ages we can give you other options too. Welcome!
  • romacox
    by romacox
    August 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

welcome to cafemom

As a home school workshop leader, I put together the following free web page to answer your questions.  It has information from pre K through high school, special needs, how to find out about your state home school laws, different methods used by home educators, and much more. 

How To Home School

• abecenti79
    August 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I have a son who is entering 1st grade and a daughter who is entering 2nd grade. Their learning style is the same luckily. The school they are coming from was VERY hands on and very warm and welcoming. Which is the way I would also teach them for extra enrichment. 

I feel overwhelmed because I don't know where to start. what's best. what would work. I just feel lost.

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM

We have all been there abecenb79.  Like anything it all becomes easier with time.  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.  Start with your state laws concerning home school.  How To Home School gives you a link that will help you find your State Home School Association.  Their sites usually have the laws listed, and they keep them up to date. 

Quoting abecenti79:

I have a son who is entering 1st grade and a daughter who is entering 2nd grade. Their learning style is the same luckily. The school they are coming from was VERY hands on and very warm and welcoming. Which is the way I would also teach them for extra enrichment. 

I feel overwhelmed because I don't know where to start. what's best. what would work. I just feel lost.

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM

P.S. Your State Home School Association is Montana Coalition Of Home Educators.  They have this link on their site:   Montana Guide To Home Education

• abecenti79
    August 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

thank you so much for all the information

• abecenti79
    August 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

does anyone have any experience with the "Time4Learning.com" site? 

Homeschooling Moms