Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
gacgbaker
Spelling help?
August 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Do you have any recommendations for kids (5th grade level) who have trouble with spelling?  We use spelling city- writing the words (including doing in creative ways like with shaving cream)- pre- tests, tests, and more.  Any curriculum suggestions or things that helped your kids would be great!

Replies

• mommy4lyf
    August 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I am using www.clicknkids.com

• mommy4lyf
    August 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

www.clicknkids.com 

Now it's clickable

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    August 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    We use Soaring with Spelling. Ds is a natural speller though so I don't know if it would work for everyone.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Play words with friends or scrabble. If you have a video game console see about getting Wheel of Fortune for it. Those are all fun ways to improve spelling.

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

not really but here's a bump!

• TJandKarasMom
    August 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

We do the games: scrabble, boggle, wheel of fortune (the Simpson's one, not sure how or why we have that, and it's probably not totally appropriate and my kids don't even watch the Simpsons so I don't think they *get* half of it, lol..but it helps practice a little).

I have heard great things about All About Spelling, but it is pricey.  Then I heard about Apples and Pears Spelling which is less pricey and still great.

Then I found this: Spell By Color which is what I am using for my DD in 5th grade that is a struggling speller.  The first year is free and she did it as an alternative to All About Spelling.  After the first year it is still affordable ($8).

And I am using this  for my 6th grader, he is a natural speller though, I'm not sure if we will use this for the whole year, but it seems more 'traditional'.

I also made a list of things for my 5th grader to do, she can pick something each day that I say choose an activity (it will be like spelling city, make words out of play doh, use word tiles to make words, paint words, draw pictures and write a word or words, write words in bubble letters).  The program doesn't really give you a specific list of words for the week, it gives you a rule for the week or lesson, then there are lists but my plan is to teach the rule, have DD do the exercises and give a dictation on Fridays that will include those types of words that follow the learned rule (there are examples of dictation after the first few lessons too, some dictations and lessons include previous lessons to keep those rules fresh in their brains).

I am pretty excited to use it, I really like the idea of teaching the rule rather than just memorizing spelling words each week.  I am hoping it will work better for my DD more than the traditional spelling approach has.  Definitely look at it.  I figure what can it hurt to try it if it's free.  If it's not working or she hates it, I think we will switch to Apples and Pears.

• QueenCreole313
    August 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I have just purchased a curriculum called Sequential Spelling. There is a DVD and workbook. They teach spelling based on identifying patterns. My son is very good at patterns. Example: all, tall, install .... 

• Precious333
    August 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    We do hang man :)
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    We used all about spelling and really liked it.
  • swim-mom72
    August 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

for us, the absolute best tool for improving spelling skills, other than time, has been copy work and dictation.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN