Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
heydooney
Transitioning to homeschool through virtual public school
August 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I knew I did not want my son in public kindergarten, because of his personality and sensory issues. I just saw disaster looming. However, I am rather unorganized and I procrastinate (I'm working on it!) so I didn't want to just jump in to straight homeschooling.

I signed him up with an online public school, which I really liked but he was ehhhhh. He's a smart kid but doesn't like sitting down, doesn't like to try new things unless he can master them right away. Math comes easy to him. It just makes sense. I'm the same way. But he thinks that everything should be that way, and if it doesn't come to him in two seconds, it's stupid.

So this year comes and we signed him up for first grade. They're sending his materials, and I was peeking in the "what's included" list and I saw this:
Transitioning to Common Core Student Lessons Book Grade 1*

So yaaaaay. Not super excited about that. I mean, they want to subtly align their existing curriculum to the new standards, whatever. But don't send my kid a book about it, yuck.

I think after this year I'll have a good idea of what to do, and be able to do it myself.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

You can totally do this!  I transitioned with k12.  It gave me the time I needed to learn about my state's requirements.  Welcome!

• DyslexiaParent
    August 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I actually think the online public schools are a great way to transition to homeschooling.  When we started, we used a full curriculum package complete with all planning, grading guides, etc., and I think having it all laid out gives you solid footing for figuring out more about what you want in your homeschool and what you don't want.  The virtual public schools are still public schools, so they leave you with no real control over your child's education.  By time you've had someone else lay out everything for you for a couple of years, I think most parents are much more comfortable with the idea of breaking off and schooling independently.  It worked well for us in moving away from the full package program to our own eclectic mix.  One of the great things about doing that is your son can then zip ahead with math and take each subject at his independent speed.  Good luck for a great year ahead!

• heydooney
    August 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Thank you! I'm happy to be here. He tells everyone he's homeschooled even though I tell him it's not *exactly* homeschooling. We're using Connections Academy. I really liked it last year (his teacher was GREAT) although I think the curriculum is slightly lacking.

I'm excited about getting him on his own pace. I looked at the language arts first several lessons and he's going to be so annoyed. "This is the capital letter A. This is also a. It is lowercase." Really? I get that some review might be necessary for some kids, but he is not allowed to just skip ahead, he has to do ALL the lessons. The only thing he can do is get through the lessons faster. If it's boring, it's hard enough to get him to do ONE lesson, much less TWO.

It was such a chore to get him through math last year because he was bored with the kindergarten curriculum, and instead of testing him out, he was told to finish the course so he could get into first grade math. And then of course the first twenty lessons in first grade math were review. Now he has a bad taste in his mouth about "school." He loves learning things. If he's interested in something, we google it, youtube it, netflix documentary it. But if you call it school, he hates it.

Sorry so wordy, I just really like talking about my kids ;)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

You can totally do this!  I transitioned with k12.  It gave me the time I needed to learn about my state's requirements.  Welcome!

• heydooney
    August 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

That's exactly it, and I think we were typing at the same time. I don't get much say in what he learns. I can supplement, but they actually frown on that there. It's not cutting it for him in certain areas. Language and handwriting are good though (once you get past the silly review). He's known the letters and sounds since about 18 months, but never cared to put them together into actual reading until last year.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I actually think the online public schools are a great way to transition to homeschooling.  When we started, we used a full curriculum package complete with all planning, grading guides, etc., and I think having it all laid out gives you solid footing for figuring out more about what you want in your homeschool and what you don't want.  The virtual public schools are still public schools, so they leave you with no real control over your child's education.  By time you've had someone else lay out everything for you for a couple of years, I think most parents are much more comfortable with the idea of breaking off and schooling independently.  It worked well for us in moving away from the full package program to our own eclectic mix.  One of the great things about doing that is your son can then zip ahead with math and take each subject at his independent speed.  Good luck for a great year ahead!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM

My son is homeschooling because of his personality and sensory issues, but I made him go to ps until it no longer worked, so kudos to you for realizing/recognizing your situation!  Because of those same issues, giving my son worksheets or review or keeping him on a topic he knows for too long is TORTURE (not for him, for me).  I don't know how easy it is to bail once you've signed up for the whole year, but I've found that if my son is having difficulty with something, if I change my presentation or pacing, things can go a lot easier.  Sometimes, though, he has to just suck it up.

• heydooney
    August 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I actually thought about backing out, but we just moved and know no one in this area yet, plus Connections is what he knows so it will help him as far as continuity. I want to get established with the hs community and see what is out there for support and help before I dive in.

Quoting hwblyf:

My son is homeschooling because of his personality and sensory issues, but I made him go to ps until it no longer worked, so kudos to you for realizing/recognizing your situation!  Because of those same issues, giving my son worksheets or review or keeping him on a topic he knows for too long is TORTURE (not for him, for me).  I don't know how easy it is to bail once you've signed up for the whole year, but I've found that if my son is having difficulty with something, if I change my presentation or pacing, things can go a lot easier.  Sometimes, though, he has to just suck it up.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Hi! Welcome! :)

You can do this! He didn't get to be this amazing without someone's guidance! That guidance being yours, you know. lol :) So, you must be capable of teaching him. :) Be proud of that. Seems that you are doing a good job already! I think you'll find that you will be able to do a lot more than you give yourself credit for. Just a little bit of knowledge that I would like to share with you...

All the academics in the world do not mean anything with the practicle living side of life. Without the one the one the other is meaningless and carries no weight in life.
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I had a lot of similar issues with K12.  Also my son had this way of failing anything he thought was a test.  Their worksheets were pretty and colorful and their tests were plain black and white, so he failed them a lot!  Thankfully his teacher noticed that he was getting the entire lesson perfect scores then just bombing the assessments.  LOL.

Sounds like (from the highlighted) that you will do just fine!!

I get wordy talking about my boys too!  LOL :-D 

Quoting heydooney:

Thank you! I'm happy to be here. He tells everyone he's homeschooled even though I tell him it's not *exactly* homeschooling. We're using Connections Academy. I really liked it last year (his teacher was GREAT) although I think the curriculum is slightly lacking.

I'm excited about getting him on his own pace. I looked at the language arts first several lessons and he's going to be so annoyed. "This is the capital letter A. This is also a. It is lowercase." Really? I get that some review might be necessary for some kids, but he is not allowed to just skip ahead, he has to do ALL the lessons. The only thing he can do is get through the lessons faster. If it's boring, it's hard enough to get him to do ONE lesson, much less TWO.

It was such a chore to get him through math last year because he was bored with the kindergarten curriculum, and instead of testing him out, he was told to finish the course so he could get into first grade math. And then of course the first twenty lessons in first grade math were review. Now he has a bad taste in his mouth about "school." He loves learning things. If he's interested in something, we google it, youtube it, netflix documentary it. But if you call it school, he hates it.

Sorry so wordy, I just really like talking about my kids ;)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    August 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Where are you in CO?  I'm in northern Thornton.  I haven't found a group yet.  :(  My kids all want to homeschool this year, so it should be interesting!

Quoting heydooney:

I actually thought about backing out, but we just moved and know no one in this area yet, plus Connections is what he knows so it will help him as far as continuity. I want to get established with the hs community and see what is out there for support and help before I dive in.

Quoting hwblyf:

• heydooney
    August 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

No way! We just signed a lease for a house in Thornton, off 120th.

Quoting hwblyf:

Where are you in CO?  I'm in northern Thornton.  I haven't found a group yet.  :(  My kids all want to homeschool this year, so it should be interesting!

Quoting heydooney:

Quoting hwblyf:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN