Homeschooling Moms

Pumamama
oh wow, this sucks
August 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

First year homeschooling my 5 and 7 year old. Now I'm not stressing because their ages gives me some time to get my stuff together But what the hell happened to my bright, well-behaved, respectful kids? It is a war to get them to do anything. Part of the problem is that they are still expecting the classroom, so maybe I'll take some time "unschooling." I can get a slow start finding the groove, and when I do, it's great. But if my five year old is bored or confused for a NANOSECOND, she panics and starts being a butt. Please tell me I can't screw them up that bad...any suggestions or sharing experience would be great. Please no bashing, it's simply unnecessary.

Replies

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Awww ~ :)

No! You CAN NOT screw them up that bad!!!! It does sound like you do need to "unschool" for awhile. I would definitely find your groove by doing things that excites your kids. Something like watching a show on their favorite animal or going to the store to help buy something for dinner and then having them help make the dinner. Things like this are a great way to find their learning passions. Just be as natural and as excited about this as your kids are and have a whole lo of fun while doing it. Take trips to the library and let the librarian know that you are homeschooling and are looking for some great starter books and let your kids' enthuisiasm work their magic at the library and everyone there. :) All of the things you do as a family is a great learning tool.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

You can't screw them up any worse then the PS would!

We are unschoolers so of coarse I will advocate that you lean that way at least until you get into your groove. Make everything fun & enjoyable, make sure you are listening to what they want to learn & doing your best to give it to them with all that you want them to learn woven into it.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Stay calm and breath slowly. You CAN do this!!
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You cannot screw them up that badly!!!  Seriously we all go through it.  Remember that when you doubt yourself they can sense it.  Be confident.  You can do this!  You have plenty of time to pull together what you want to do with them.  I would suggest you put together some boxes of stuff that your lo can go do when she does get bored.  Things that will keep her learning but also keep her from misbehaving. 

I gave my 4yo a picture book (no words) and a tape recorder and had him use the pictures to tell the story.  He loved when we curled up to listen to his story later, and it was pretty good!

He also has connectagons and little shape magnets with cards for him to build things out of the shapes.  When he had gone through all of the cards, I had him make his own creations and take pictures of them so that he could re-create them later.

He has magnetic letters to play with. And he has a ziploc plastic bag full of fingerpaint, (I duct taped it closed!!) so he could practice writing his letters.  He has a box of beans and measuring cups (he yells out loud when he figures things out, but hey the others are learning to ignore distractions!  LOL)

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

hi puma, you arent screwing up your kids, its something new to them, a change, so gotta get use to the change, keep it up everyday, they will get use to it!! what helps me is to have a plan of what we need to accomplish each day so im not wondering around trying to figure out what to do next, you can do this, you are doing it, the first year will be the hardest just keep plowing right on through!

• tbrookover
    August 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Be calm and plan. Lots of fun websites to find online for those moments.....It will all fall into place.

• Pumamama
    August 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

thanks ladies. I get a lot from hearing your examples and suggestions. I think some feild trips are definitely on the agenda for the rest of this week. It seems to be the one selling point I used on them for doing homeschool and they keep going back to that. Also, a fun trip is a good bribe, uh, I mean, reward...uh something to keep mentioning we're gonna do after they finish the less exciting stuff. Thanks again!

• mommy4lyf
    August 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    It's hard at first. I started gradually. You will be just fine.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Deschooling is a great idea! I'd give them an extended summer and just do lots of field trips, nature walks, relaxing.
  • NYCitymomx3
    August 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

When my dd started homeschooling at 8 years-old, she wanted me to do things just like they did at school.  So I did.  She even printed out her own worksheets and made sure I graded it with a red pen (so sad when I think back, lol).  We did a whole bunch of other things at the same time, too, like group classes with the homeschool group, field trips, playdates, getting out and trying new restaurants and shows and library activities, etc.  I would read to her, we'd go on a nature walk, maybe do a science experiment together. Soon she let go of anything schoolish and we continued unschooling (and later on, a bit of relaxed academics) until she was in 8th grade.   Deschooling will probably take a couple of months at their age.

You won't screw anything up.  Following a child's lead is the best way to educate, imo.  Let them tell YOU what they want to do and just do it (within reason of  course, lol).  Make a list of all their favorite activities (academic and otherwise:  cooking, gardening, playground, readaloud, copywork, documentary, nature walk, etc).  Refer to it when they can't think of something on their own.  Kids never stop learning.  They learn from absolutely everything they do.   

Homeschooling Moms