Homeschooling Moms

FootballFan12
Geocaching anyone?
August 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So friends of our do this. We never have. I didn't even know what it was.

Anyone here do this with their kids? Do you enjoy it?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

before it was popular 20-30 years ago we did it, we used compasses instead of gps's, it wasnt called goecaching though. its fun! are you gona go with them?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I have wanted to do it for years but all the locations that are listed for my aria haven't been updated in 5 years so I don't even know if we went looking for one if we would find anything to know that we found the site.

• FootballFan12
    August 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I don't know yet. Either I will think it is completely lame, OR I will be so addicted and become obessed..haha

Quoting oredeb:

before it was popular 20-30 years ago we did it, we used compasses instead of gps's, it wasnt called goecaching though. its fun! are you gona go with them?

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I haven't yet, but really want to.  I am going to try to go this year since D and I will have the time for it now.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Okay. Showing my ignorance here but, what is it and how does it work? lol
  • FootballFan12
    August 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Basically you are treasure hunting using a GPS. 

Here is the site they gave me. Sorry cant make it clicky on mobile.

http://www.geocaching.com

• Knightquester
    August 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We do it, but mostly on hikes.  I try hard to plan ahead of time so we have something to put in the container otherwise I'm searching for something like a penny, hair thing, pencil, or whatever my kids happened to have in their pockets at the time.

It's fun, especially if it's just a side thing you're doing when you're out to do something else, like when you're walking around the lake, hiking, or just buying time before the thing you came to do.

• DyslexiaParent
    August 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM

WE DID! It was GREAT and we got to have some great experiences along the way.  I'd recommend getting a trackable Geocoin and watch it travel too.  Your kids can look up on the map where the coin is going.   Ours traveled all over the world. 

Also, learning to use a GPS for navigating to caches, learning about longitude, latitude, degrees, learning to be careful when hiking, taking survival food, etc., are all excellent skills.  We had a great experience in posting about our geocoin travels and had some unique coins travel to us, including an awesome one from an explosives expert who sent it specifically to my son who was interested in all things military.  If you get involved on the Geocaching forum and make friends on behalf of your kids, it can really bring a lot of great new experiences to your homeschooling.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    We have done it..some are tricky to find!

My son had a 100th Anniversary BSA geo-coin trackable he put in a cache. His friend picked it up and hasnt re-cached it. I need to get it back and get it moving again.

Homeschooling Moms