Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
JulieBrown
scholarships for homeschool coop??
August 5, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Does your homeschool coop offer scholarships?  If so, how do they do it?  Is it a one time amount or paid out through the course of the year?  How do you determine who gets the scholarships?  Would this be done by a separate committee or the coop board?

Thanks.  BTW  Most of the money we have comes from wrapping paper sales, book sales and coop fees. 

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    August 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Our co-op is mostly for supplementing and enriching, not full-credit academic classes, we charge very little. The membership fee is $15 for a single child, or $25 for a family, plus individual class fees. No real need for scholarships.

I suppose if the co-op was more of a traditional academic a la carte class replacement with significant fees, then I would do a one-time (per semester) payout. If I was on the leadership board, I think a separate committee would be the best option.

As for application, an information form to cover the basics, a letter from the applicant outlining why they're in need of a scholarship as well as why they should be chosen (think college application essay), and perhaps 2-3 letters of support/recommendation from friends and family.

• TJandKarasMom
    August 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    Our co cop is free to join and some classes and trips are free. Others aren't too expensive so for us on a low income we just pick and choose what we can afford and only do things the kids really want to do.
  • hipmomto3
    August 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I have never heard of this. Our co-op charges a per-family fee of $30/semester, then you pay for your classes individually (anywhere from $35 to $60 per class, for 12 weeks). I'm not sure how a scholarship would work. We don't do any fundraisers so there is no 'spare' money to spend. I think most parents are in the same boat of having to weigh what they can afford against what their children want to do. It would be unfair for one family to receive the same services for free that others pay for,  IMO.

• JulieBrown
    August 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thank you so much for the comments.  We get money from co-op fees and from a couple big fundraisers we do. 

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Ive never heard of a scholarship for co-ops before. I think it could be ideal for someone who could really majorly benefit from such a blessing.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts