Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MOMMYJM
Homeschool curriculum
by MOMMYJM
August 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Hi there,

We will be starting our 2nd full year of homeschool this year.  One of the reasons I pulled my daughter out of school in the 3rd grade was because I had suspicion that she might be dyslexic.  She was falling behind so much and once I got her tested I learned that in 3rd grade dyslexic students usually hit a wall.  I was so frustrated with the lack of support and help from the school that I decided the best thing for her was to pull her out and teach her at her own pace.  I have been using abeka since then.  She will now be starting the 5th grade and I am contemplating spending the money on Verticy Learning which is an Orton- Gillingham based curriculum for dyslexics.  Dont get me wrong I love abeka but feel it lacks what my daughter needs in some areas since she is dyslexic.  Can anyone out there who have used both tell me if Verticy learning (calvert) is worth the extra money?

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 5, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    I haven't used it, but good luck and here is a bump for you!
  • romacox
    by romacox
    August 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I have never used Verticy Learning, so am bumping this for others to comment on.

Meanwhile, I did find this review on line.

• TigerofMu
    August 5, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    I haven't ever seen it, but hopefully you'll find some answers!
  • celticdragon77
    August 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Im confused. Is it Calvert?

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Bumped! Good luck
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

i dont know personally but have heard that orton gillingham is worth it not sure about the verticy learning though,

• AutymsMommy
    August 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Verticy is Calvert's program for dyslexics; it is connected to their SN brick and mortar school Jemicy, like Calvert is connected to their Calvert brick and mortar school.

It's a great program; just be aware that OG doesn't work for every dyslexic. A good alternative would be Dancing Bears reading and Apples and Pears spelling, with IEW writing, if you didn't want to spend the money on Verticy.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

BUMP!

• MOMMYJM
    by MOMMYJM
    August 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Yes, it is a part of Calvert but its designed specifically for children with learning differences such as dyslexia.

• MOMMYJM
    by MOMMYJM
    August 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Yes, it's a part of Calvert only that is is designed for children with learning differences such as dyslexia. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

Im confused. Is it Calvert?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN