Homeschooling Moms

mem82
What are you learning/teaching in August?
by mem82
August 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM

What's on the agenda?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

August is going to be some review and making sure he has his addition and subtraction facts memorized.  We are doing Electricity in science and ancient Egypt in history. 

• motheroffour186
    August 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Starting school but the 25 of August I wish sooner
  • bether89
    August 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM

We are starting school next week and will be reviewing last years concept in math and English with Ds1.  In science, we will be studying layers of the Earth and minerals. 

My preschooler will be making an All About Me book and doing letter A activities.

• hipmomto3
    August 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We start August 12. I am the type that starts full-steam-ahead! If we started slowly, the temptation would be there to STAY slow/easy... and I don't want that. This year, we are going to do 5-6 weeks of LOTS of school work, followed by 1 week totally off, rather than week after week after week of a medium amount. 

For my oldest (5th grade) we're studying U.S. history in the early 1800s - up to and including Lincoln, but not going into the Civil War until mid to late September. So we are starting with westward pioneers, the gold rush, that sort of thing. 

For all three, we are doing the Further Up & Further In study of the Narnia books. We've been reading TLTW&TW this summer and will be starting TMN when we start school, so lots of days we'll have an activity or two that goes along with those books.

In addition to that, they have their math, reading, etc - regular stuff. 

• collinsmommy0
    August 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    The numbers 5 & 6

How to be a big brother

......ummmm that's about it. I'm due with baby #2 in a week & a half & DS is 2.

However the number of books we have been reading is crazy - we read probably 10-15 paperback books per day and do about 5-6 12 piece puzzles (because mommy is too tired to do anything else)
  • gacgbaker
    August 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We are finishing up the French and Indian War and Ecosystems.  Those are the "unit" topics on top of the usual- math, spelling, language arts (mostly tied into the unit topics we are learning about), and some handwriting practice.

For the 2 and 4 year old we are working on ABC's a little handwritting practice (or pre-handwritting practice things) and reading a lot of stories about babies. 

The one year old just hangs out with us ;)

• QueenCreole313
    August 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I finally did my planning! 

Bible: Exodus 

Math: Review Place value, decimals and multiplication

Science: Earth study

Writing: Cursive penmanship

Spelling: 10 new words per week

Reading: 30 min/day 

Our Story: intro. American history & geography 

Homeschooling Moms