Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Wow, I could not have asked for a better weekend.
August 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

We had our family reunion this weekend, and the kids all got talking about school.  I was just going to post this as an update to my last one about Levi wanting to go to ps, but it's just so much more than that.

A fifth grader and a ninth grader were talking about the assignments they had over summer break.  I have to say that even I was completely surprised by how much had been assigned.

Fifth grader (her assignments were): Pick one of 3 Language arts assignments.  She felt she had picked the least amount of work, but she needed to read 2 books (about 100-125 pages each) and write a compare contrast essay about the schools that were depicted in them.  For science she needed to choose one of a list of biology topics and research them, then have a presentation with at least 1 visual aide prepared for the first week of school.  And she had a full workbook to cmplete for her math class.

Ninth Grader: Since the teacher did not want to take the time to do their research paper during the school year, they needed to have their topic chosen, 6 sources read with source cards created, and at least 50 "fact cards" created with some way of saying which source card they came from.  He also had an entire math workbook to complete.  He also needed to choose a science project because their science fair was going to occur in September.  He also had a health assignment and needed 100 hours of community service completed.  He also had a "free reading" log that he needed to fill out... it required at least 3 hours of reading a week, and you would think they could choose anything, right?  Wrong, there was a list of appropriate books to choose from!!

Anyway, they were sitting there complaining about how many hours of their summer was "ruined" by these assignments when a fellow 3rd grader came along and said that her teacher had given them each a math workbook, a comprehension workbook, and a vocabulary workbook to complete because the standard tests are coming up this year, so they need a jumpstart on preparing!!

Holy Cow!

Needless to say, Xavier has stopped complaining about doing school during the summer.  He's very excited that we did it so that we can take off the week at the beach and the month of December.  And he was shocked that the public school teachers were giving assignments to their students for the summer.  And Levi says he is very glad that he is homeschooling.  His cousin was telling him all about the homework she had to do last year and how she peed her pants twice on the bus!  She said she would regularly fall asleep and fall out of her desk and her classmates started calling her "snoozie Suzie."  (I didn't explain that her parents have no bed times and if she went to bed at a decent hour that might not have been a problem)

Anyway!  Problem solved!!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

LOL What a beautiful gift those kids unknowingly gave you!

• TJandKarasMom
    August 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Wow, I am really shocked that there were so many assignments. I actually think some summer assignments are good because kids lose a lot in the summer months. My kids went to ps up until now, going into 5th and 6th grades and have never had a single summer assignment given to them by school. I make them read and practice some math, especially my younger who loses skills easily.

And I think the mandatory community service is ridiculous, but that's jmo in general, mandatory volunteerism is no longer volunteerism. I think it's great to encourage it, but not the schools place to mandate it.

I love when the natural way of things helps our kids see why their lives are decent the way they are ;). It's so much better than listening to an explanation from parents, for them to just get it on their own.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    I just don't think I could tolerate public school. Lol
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Wow, I am really shocked that there were so many assignments. I actually think some summer assignments are good because kids lose a lot in the summer months. My kids went to ps up until now, going into 5th and 6th grades and have never had a single summer assignment given to them by school. I make them read and practice some math, especially my younger who loses skills easily.

And I think the mandatory community service is ridiculous, but that's jmo in general, mandatory volunteerism is no longer volunteerism. I think it's great to encourage it, but not the schools place to mandate it.

I love when the natural way of things helps our kids see why their lives are decent the way they are ;). It's so much better than listening to an explanation from parents, for them to just get it on their own.

When I taught in the public high schools, only students on the honor's track were given summer assignments.  But we also teamed the teachers together to avoid so much going home. Also we never gave assignments to elementary kids other than a reading log assignment on scholastic.com or a summer reading program kind of like book it.  But then it was always their choice what they read and how long they read really.  I was surprised by all that too.

Many schools are moving to volunteer requirements.  Our culture in general has really allowed the schools to become the parents in many areas.  Around here, we have big latchkey programs where they will make sure your child's homework is done before you pick them up.  They nowserve breakfast and lunch at school and a snack at the latchkey.  There is a shuttle to the ball league for practice.  IMO it's too much.  And that's where they get the idea to make the kids volunteer.  It's really something the parents should be doing, but the parents around here have really relinquished those decisions to the school, IMO.

I was really happy when the kids all started talking about school.  I thought "SCORE!!"  I kind of knew it would be helpful.  :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I am glade that he got a taste of it with out having to get a taste of it!

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    That is soooo awesome for you guys! What a great surprise/present that you received! I am so happy for you!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM

yea!!!!!

• bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

That is soooo awesome for you guys! What a great surprise/present that you received! I am so happy for you!

Thanks.  We did do a ps day here at home and he was already waivering from his idea.  It helped that my oldest kept saying things like... a teacher would have made you change your card when you got out of your chair, a teacher wouldn't allow you to do that, and you know they don't have cool math blocks at school.  So he was finally thinking that maybe the tv shows didn't show the truth.  Then this on top of it all....he's done asking. 

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Yep. My kids chaned their minds too when they started hearing the kids from around the neighborhood telling them all the things they had to do and how they didn't know a few things that my kids thought that everyone knew but in reality do not. My kids were like, OMG I am never stepping foot inside a ps ever. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

So glad you have one less thing to worry about now! 

The boys I watch only had reading assingmnets over the summer.  Not too bad as far as I can tell.  Nothing like what you describe, that seems overly excessive!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN