Homeschooling Moms

bluerooffarm
Wow, I could not have asked for a better weekend.
August 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

We had our family reunion this weekend, and the kids all got talking about school.  I was just going to post this as an update to my last one about Levi wanting to go to ps, but it's just so much more than that.

A fifth grader and a ninth grader were talking about the assignments they had over summer break.  I have to say that even I was completely surprised by how much had been assigned.

Fifth grader (her assignments were): Pick one of 3 Language arts assignments.  She felt she had picked the least amount of work, but she needed to read 2 books (about 100-125 pages each) and write a compare contrast essay about the schools that were depicted in them.  For science she needed to choose one of a list of biology topics and research them, then have a presentation with at least 1 visual aide prepared for the first week of school.  And she had a full workbook to cmplete for her math class.

Ninth Grader: Since the teacher did not want to take the time to do their research paper during the school year, they needed to have their topic chosen, 6 sources read with source cards created, and at least 50 "fact cards" created with some way of saying which source card they came from.  He also had an entire math workbook to complete.  He also needed to choose a science project because their science fair was going to occur in September.  He also had a health assignment and needed 100 hours of community service completed.  He also had a "free reading" log that he needed to fill out... it required at least 3 hours of reading a week, and you would think they could choose anything, right?  Wrong, there was a list of appropriate books to choose from!!

Anyway, they were sitting there complaining about how many hours of their summer was "ruined" by these assignments when a fellow 3rd grader came along and said that her teacher had given them each a math workbook, a comprehension workbook, and a vocabulary workbook to complete because the standard tests are coming up this year, so they need a jumpstart on preparing!!

Holy Cow!

Needless to say, Xavier has stopped complaining about doing school during the summer.  He's very excited that we did it so that we can take off the week at the beach and the month of December.  And he was shocked that the public school teachers were giving assignments to their students for the summer.  And Levi says he is very glad that he is homeschooling.  His cousin was telling him all about the homework she had to do last year and how she peed her pants twice on the bus!  She said she would regularly fall asleep and fall out of her desk and her classmates started calling her "snoozie Suzie."  (I didn't explain that her parents have no bed times and if she went to bed at a decent hour that might not have been a problem)

Anyway!  Problem solved!!

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Quoting kmath:

So glad you have one less thing to worry about now! 

The boys I watch only had reading assingmnets over the summer.  Not too bad as far as I can tell.  Nothing like what you describe, that seems overly excessive!

I thought it was over the top too.  I'll bet it's because they did not meet their AYP last year and are afraid of the consequences if they miss them again.  Theirs is a county over, but I know our local ps also handed out the workbooks for our 3rd graders.  They also have not been meeting their requirements.

• bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Xavier is relieved to not go back.  I think he was worried that if I sent Levi that I would make him go too.  I was reassuring him, but he has some real deep seated fears about that school.

Quoting kirbymom:

Yep. My kids chaned their minds too when they started hearing the kids from around the neighborhood telling them all the things they had to do and how they didn't know a few things that my kids thought that everyone knew but in reality do not. My kids were like, OMG I am never stepping foot inside a ps ever. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Wow, that is crazy.  So the kids get punished because the school can't keep up?  That makes no freaking sense!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

The boys I watch only had reading assingmnets over the summer.  Not too bad as far as I can tell.  Nothing like what you describe, that seems overly excessive!

I thought it was over the top too.  I'll bet it's because they did not meet their AYP last year and are afraid of the consequences if they miss them again.  Theirs is a county over, but I know our local ps also handed out the workbooks for our 3rd graders.  They also have not been meeting their requirements.

• bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I've seen that over and over again.  The school I taught for in Northern VA would send kids to remediation classes instead of all kinds of other things... no band, no art, even "core-type" electives like etymology or newspaper would be dropped until you passed your SOL tests.  Sad!

Quoting kmath:

Wow, that is crazy.  So the kids get punished because the school can't keep up?  That makes no freaking sense!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

\

Awww ~ That is so sad ! Is it just that particular school or is it the "going to ps" that is what terrifies him?
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

\

Awww ~ That is so sad ! Is it just that particular school or is it the "going to ps" that is what terrifies him?

It's our local school that started it, but now he just hates the whole idea.  He went for kinder and half of first.  He was bullied by both the kids and the teacher.  His kinder teacher tried to keep things under control, but his first grade teacher, she was something else.  She would get angry when he already knew something, she would punish the whole class instead of individuals that were misbehaving, and on and on.  He was being picked on at lunch because he brought yogurt, red peppers, whole grain breads, homemade foods, etc.  When we asked her to keep an eye on things and make sure he was able to eat his food, her response was that it was our (the parents) fault.  If we would just send him "normal" food, the tormenting would just end and I'm going to actually quote this..."You parents just don't stop to think that when a kid brings in things that set him apart he's going to be picked on.  Of course he's going to be tormented, kids don't like people who are different."  He went an entire week without eating at the school, it was horrible.  We got a doctor's excuse for his "un-natural" lunches, and her tormenting of him got worse.  She began belittling him in front of his classmates.  It was just the last straw.  Obviously we had a lot of work to do getting him to come back out of his shell when he left that school.

But they had also pressured all of their students about tests and testing until Zave would get sick to his stomach about any tests.  We had to start the mantra "tests are no big deal." and it still took months to get him to do anything that he percieved as a test without a crying jag and a few trips to the bathroom. 

So yeah, he has ps issues.  Lots of ps issues.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

Aww ~! That just breaks my heart! Just helps me to despise ps even more. I had the same treatment when I was in second grade. That teacher cost my mother close to $1000 in glasses alone as this teacher would anger me to the point of just throwing my glasses at the walls or at the teacher. She was so mean and so rude that my mother was able to get the school to not only fire her but revoke her teachimg license. She was the only person I ever hated and wished dead when I was a child.
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Aww ~! That just breaks my heart! Just helps me to despise ps even more. I had the same treatment when I was in second grade. That teacher cost my mother close to $1000 in glasses alone as this teacher would anger me to the point of just throwing my glasses at the walls or at the teacher. She was so mean and so rude that my mother was able to get the school to not only fire her but revoke her teachimg license. She was the only person I ever hated and wished dead when I was a child.

Aww!  I really don't know why such people get into teaching.  SMH.  We're doing so much better now but she was his 1st grade teacher so that's why he really went to the bat trying to convince his little brother not to go.  He just doesn't want him to have to deal with her.  (There are only 2 first grade teachers, so chances are he'd have her.)  They both have the same dietary issues, to different degrees, so we would have the same food fights.  It's just sad.

• kirbymom
    August 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

You know, it IS sad. For everyone concerned. I wish that people would not become teachers if they truly do not have a deep concern for the children and their education. :(
  • bluerooffarm
    August 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

You know, it IS sad. For everyone concerned. I wish that people would not become teachers if they truly do not have a deep concern for the children and their education. :(

I agree!

Homeschooling Moms