Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
armygirl16
Do you do anything special for the beginning of the year?
August 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM

This is my daughters first year of school (Kindergarten) and I took her out "school clothes" shopping on Friday.  Justice was having a pretty good sale, so we went there.  We still need to get school supplies as well...but I'm waiting until next week's paycheck to do that (don't want to shock hubby too much with all the school spending lol, even though over the past 2 weeks I have worked 22 hours of overtime).  For her first day (which I think will be next Friday as long as her curriculum arrives on time and I can prepare) I will do first day pictures and try to make the day special.  I want to start her off on a day I have off of work, which is why I am hoping it will be that Friday.  

Do you take your child school shopping at the beginning of the year? I plan on schooling year round, but will still probably make the new year more exciting by getting new things (I always loved that about school lol).  

I do still need to get some more school clothes (I can't find ANY pants that fit her) as well though.  Oh and shoes too.  :)

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We don' for our ffirst day, but we have a "Not Back to School Fun Day or Party".

• bether89
    August 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We take pictures on our first day to school.

• tuffymama
    August 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    My dad insisted my stepmother take LO back to school shopping (and my dad laughed and laughed about it, like he's a comic genius or something @@ LOL). LO truly has everything he needs right now, so I let my stepmom buy him long-sleeved tees, sweatpants, and some running pants at JCP during our tax free weekend here in Florida. In case it EVER cools off here (or God answers our prayers and we can move north, please oh please), those clothes will be just what LO needs. They want to buy him his next pair of sneakers, too, so I got a blank check to fill out and reimburse myself when we go shoe shopping at Stride Rite. Plus, my little sister is in school to be a teacher and she just gave LO sooooo many brand new, awesome school and crafts supplies, and gave me an elementary special needs lesson plan writing guide that I have loaned to a friend and will use in the coming year for LO.

Since we've been so blessed and we need absolutely nothing now, I'm hitting the stores this week for some school supplies for my NYC friend's kids. She is a single widow with two of her own (one with ASD like LO) and has custody of her brother's two kids, so even the very small bit of help I can give her means a lot. Those kids get SO excited to have new stuff, I'm kind of selfish when I give to them because it makes me feel so damn good to hear their enthusiasm and gratitude. Besides, I LOVE back to school shopping. Their was a recent discussion amongst the HSG ladies here about how it is the only good part of PS. LOL!
  • bluerooffarm
    August 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

On the first day the ps goes back to school, we go to Books a Million.  The boys each get a gift card and are allowed to pick out as many books as they can afford with their cards.  Then we eat at Chic-Fil-A because it is the only FF resteraunt with a playground that I allow us to eat at.  Then we come home and curl up with our "mother lode"!  LOL

• armygirl16
    August 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Ohhh, that's a good idea.  I don't know what Books a Million is but we have Powells here and I could get her a gift card and let her pick out whatever she wants from there.  That would be fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

On the first day the ps goes back to school, we go to Books a Million.  The boys each get a gift card and are allowed to pick out as many books as they can afford with their cards.  Then we eat at Chic-Fil-A because it is the only FF resteraunt with a playground that I allow us to eat at.  Then we come home and curl up with our "mother lode"!  LOL

• bluerooffarm
    August 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thanks.  The first time it really surprised me.  They were really good at estimating the prices and adding them together.  And they were so excited to get home with their booty, they didn't even put up a fight about leaving the playground. :-)

Quoting armygirl16:

Ohhh, that's a good idea.  I don't know what Books a Million is but we have Powells here and I could get her a gift card and let her pick out whatever she wants from there.  That would be fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• kmath
    by kmath
    August 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My sister took him clothes shopping this past weekend and got him some sneakers as well.  Not sure if we are going to do anything for the first day since I will be working.

• gacgbaker
    August 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We love Chick fil A!  My husband works at our local one part time and he loves it (if you have to have a second job- at least it's a good place to have one!).  They are having a end of summer festival- I think we are going to try to go to that to 'celebrate' a little since we don't have an official first day of school (we do year round).

• bluerooffarm
    August 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Quoting gacgbaker:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We love Chick fil A!  My husband works at our local one part time and he loves it (if you have to have a second job- at least it's a good place to have one!).  They are having a end of summer festival- I think we are going to try to go to that to 'celebrate' a little since we don't have an official first day of school (we do year round).

We pretty much do year round as well.  We take off 3 weeks in June and the month of December.  So we just celebrate when the ps kids go back since everything is just a bit quieter and less crowded without the summer crowds!  :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    August 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We don't have a first day of school because we unschool but every year we enjoy the first day the public school goes back by going to all the places we avoided during the summer because of all the crowds.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN