Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
littlewonders
New to this and need help!
August 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I have read my state laws so I know what to do there. I have to keep records of my child's progress and hours but it doesn't say who I turn that into and how often. I live in Missouri btw. I am also not sure where to start as far as curriculum. I have a kinder and 1st grader. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    August 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Following is a list of support groups in Missouri (with phone numbers).  They are veteran home school moms, and should be glad to answer your questions about the portfolio.  In Florida, we turn it in at the end of the school year to a certified  teacher (***who also home schools).

Support Groups In Missouri

All About Home School Portfolios

As for curriculum, there are so many more choices for home school moms that teachers are not allowed to use.  They have to use a one size fits all approach.  Because these things do not exist in mainstream education, many home educators have created their own curriculum, and made it available to others. 

1.  Understand your child's learning style.

2. Make it easy on yourself:  Whole brain teaching (physically involving the child in the learning process through games and real life experiences)  teaches to all the learning styles. Studies show that with this method, children learn faster, retain more, love learning, stress is reduced (on both of you), and it actually improves the health of the brain.

2.  For phonics: .  The computers teach several of the following sounds incorrectly: B,C,D,G,H,J,K,P,T,W.  They add the u sound at the end. This makes it hard for many children to blend the sounds to form words.  For example, we do not say  hu-a-pu-y for happy.  So it is important that you, the educator, teach the sounds so that you are sure they are getting the basics. Hear Phonic Sounds Free (for adults)

Many think that the child learns all the phonic sounds, and then reads.  But not so.  Once the child learns the first 8 sounds, they should be able to read their first early reader book (Public school, Bob Books, and Ring Around The Phonics books).  When they learn 6 more, they read their second book...so on and so on

Language Arts

Ring Around The Phonics (phonics, reading, comprehension, spelling, vocabulary...language arts curriculum) is whole brain teaching made easy. It was created by a home school family, a tutor, books edited by an English professor,  and a professional game designer.  

Math

Math U See.  or Math For Left And Right Brain  I used Math U See.  It was also created by a home school family.  The Dad majored in Math, and he visually shows the child that 0 is a number.  Most math programs skip over this important piece of information. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    August 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Bumpity bump!
    Welcome to homeschooling!
  • edaley
    by edaley
    August 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Bump
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    August 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    She gave you good links for laws, and good suggestions, but I wanted to say Welcome!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    August 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

good post from roma , heres some reviews of curriculum

if your looking for a phonics curr, 'all bout reading' is good one, also a little book called 'a home start in reading' is good by ruth beechick

are you looking for secular or christian curriculum?

welcome littlwonders!!!!!

• littlewonders
    August 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Thanks ladies!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email