Homeschooling Moms

usmom3
Homeschooling: The Public Schools’ Invasive Species
by usmom3
BJ
August 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I found this to be an interesting read & thought some of you might too! CLICK TO READ  What do you think?

Replies

• AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    August 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Bump for later.
  • Precious333
    August 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting AJ-47:

Bump for later.

• AmaliaD
    by AmaliaD
    August 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    I have read it, seems to be very slanted journalism, Who villainizes the NEA? I am a teacher(title I, reading k-3, charter school, non union). The home schooled children I have taught range from very bright and educated kids, to kids that have never retained anything academically (most at least 2-3 yrs behind). So I feel there should be some checks by the state for the welfare of the children, based on the huge variation I have witnessed. I have had to be observed by the state (like all Ohio teachers who did the praxis 2) I figured that I do a good job and have nothing to hide. Good homeschoolers shouldn't feel threatened either. We do have to accept that some people aren't good and would keep their kids home without teaching them. But those kids still have a right to education, so it then falls on the state to protect them from their parents like any other neglect. Homeschooling saves the gov a ton of money. I know an online k teacher who has a huge amount of "ghost students" who enroll, get the free computer, scanner, wifi and printer and never speak to the academy again. Some are long time homeschoolers who know their rights and use the state funds (why not?). And some just never make the kid turn on the computer, let alone teach him something. And right now, they can't do anything unless they can prove it (which isn't easy).
  • bluerooffarm
    August 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

This is the part that drives me nuts!!

Quote:

The NEA takes an unambiguous position on homeschooling. In a 2011 resolution the NEA declared it “believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used.... home-schooled students should not participate in any extracurricular activities in the public schools.... local public school systems should have the authority to determine grade placement and/or credits earned toward graduation for students entering or re-entering the public school setting from a home school setting." 

Read more:
    http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/homeschooling-the-public-schools-invasive-species#ixzz2akhbLu00

Since not all public school kids "pass" all of the assessments they take so it bothers me that the NEA believes that all homeschool students should.  And here's why: Many homeschool parents are homeschooling kids who are autistic, have ADHD, are dyslexic, etc which are even more likely to fail the assessments within the public school system, so why does NEA think that they should magically pass when a parent is teaching these kids?  The question I ask is "Are these kids getting a better education in their own home?"  And the answer is more often than not is....YESSS!!!

And why should I need to keep up my licensure to school my own kids?  That is ridiculous!  And the whole thing about the expenses being borne by the parent...WTH????  We pay our taxes for the local school and then do not use the services.  What is their beef?  It's the fact that HS kids usually outperform their ps counterparts.

Thanks for the read usmom!  It was great!!

• coala
    by coala
    August 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Very thought provoking.  Thanks for the read.

• bluerooffarm
    August 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Many people villianize the NEA, especially when their position is self-serving.  The NEAs position on homeschooling is that all of the kids who are homeschooled should have to pass the standardized tests and that all of the parents who homeschool their children should be certified by the state. 

While my children have never failed any standardized tests and I give them diagnostic testing each fall which places them above grade-level, I know that many public-schooled children do not pass the standardized tests and are being failed by the ps system.  Those kids are not magically going to begin passing the tests when they are brought home.

I have allowed my certificate to lapse.  I do not need to be taking courses while I am trying to teach and raise my children and I should not be required to be certified to teach my own children.  So much of my education has absolutely no bearing on what I do here at home. 

The NEAs position makes it sound as though they are whining about parents "taking their jobs."  That is a flawed position.  There will always be public schools.  They should be happy and supportive of the parents who take it upon themselves to educate their children.  But since many of the kids who come home from the ps DO begin passing the standardized tests, it makes the NEA look bad.  Therefore they whine.

Last, did you realize this was a homeschool forum?  I do not feel threatened by the state's oversights, but I do believe the NEA feels threatened by homeschoolers.  Other than the section about Obama which was too inferred for my taste, this article was pretty spot on.  Homeschooling does at the very least push the status quo.

Quoting AmaliaD:

I have read it, seems to be very slanted journalism, Who villainizes the NEA? I am a teacher(title I, reading k-3, charter school, non union). The home schooled children I have taught range from very bright and educated kids, to kids that have never retained anything academically (most at least 2-3 yrs behind). So I feel there should be some checks by the state for the welfare of the children, based on the huge variation I have witnessed. I have had to be observed by the state (like all Ohio teachers who did the praxis 2) I figured that I do a good job and have nothing to hide. Good homeschoolers shouldn't feel threatened either. We do have to accept that some people aren't good and would keep their kids home without teaching them. But those kids still have a right to education, so it then falls on the state to protect them from their parents like any other neglect. Homeschooling saves the gov a ton of money. I know an online k teacher who has a huge amount of "ghost students" who enroll, get the free computer, scanner, wifi and printer and never speak to the academy again. Some are long time homeschoolers who know their rights and use the state funds (why not?). And some just never make the kid turn on the computer, let alone teach him something. And right now, they can't do anything unless they can prove it (which isn't easy).

• MacMamaof5
    August 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I liked the article.  Posted it on my facebook page.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    August 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Nobody needs to villianize the NEA. They are a powerful group and villianize themselves by their actions, lobbying and words! BTW, my husband is a former teacher and is now a public school principal. I also had two kids graduated from public school, so I am not totally biased towards homeschooling only.

Parents should have the right to raise their kids however they determine. I don't think the government should take away this freedom. Impeding this right may mean some kids don't get the education that YOU would like them to get. Other kids get a superior education.  Ironically, the same result occurs in public school, despite of the teacher's efforts to teach every kid. A kid has to be able to learn before they can be taught. He has to put forth some effort. 

I live in a state with no required assessment of homeschoolers, nor any real requirements. I like it that way.  I don't want to follow the government's plan for education, as it seems to be a huge failure for many children, whose parents gave up their right to educate their children themselves and handed them over to the government machine. Two of my four kids were products of such a system, and I am seeing holes in their education, or rather, misdirections in their understanding.

My 20yo tried to address a letter. I was shocked that he put the stamp on the upper lefthand corner next to the return address. This is an elementary skill.  We were also talking about having a good work ethic, no matter how menial the job. He works at Wendy's. He says that nobody there cares to do a good job because it is stupid. This conversation started after we'd been on vacation and gotten some really bad fast food. He said they make fun of people when they return food for some reason. I asked why, when the employees should be embarrassed over their failure to produce a good product. Ding-ding-ding--lack of work ethic and pride in a job well done. At this point, I am in disbelief at his attitude. How'd I miss this? He got great grades in school.

Sometimes I wish I had kept better tabs on him. I trusted the school to do MY job. That was a big mistake on my part! This kid is not stupid. In fact, he has 2 years of college under his belt. He made close to 2000 on the SAT! Yet, he is missing these basic skills and attitudes about life in general. SMH My husband and I are developing a remediation plan, even though he is technically an adult now. He lives with us, while going to college, so we still have a chance to help him.

I am upset that he represents the typical outcome, even one deemed a success,  as today's product of public school. If so, you may want to lose your arrogant attitude, humble yourself as I have been, and rethink your views about homeschooling.

Quoting AmaliaD:

• celticdragon77
    August 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I don't know who wrote that article, but I checked out some of their videos on Youtube (in hopes of better understanding the minds behind the article). I was NOT in agreement with much of the thinking. 

I don't vote. I am not red or blue. But I hate when I come across this bashing of one or the other - and I hate when something is used to justify pushing their agenda. It is all a scam. Sure enough, by the end of the article... an agenda was being pushed. 

• bluerooffarm
    August 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I don't know who wrote that article, but I checked out some of their videos on Youtube (in hopes of better understanding the minds behind the article). I was NOT in agreement with much of the thinking. 

I don't vote. I am not red or blue. But I hate when I come across this bashing of one or the other - and I hate when something is used to justify pushing their agenda. It is all a scam. Sure enough, by the end of the article... an agenda was being pushed. 

Which was being bashed?  It seemed to me as if it were written in a Libertarian bent which would disapprove of both the Dems and the Repubs.  Other than the unsubstantiated slights on Obama which were full of inferrence with no real policy citations, it didn't seem to be bashing a political party.

Homeschooling Moms